Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Board maintenance/issues/features

+9
Yoren longshore
Ser Fendrel Bartheld
Loreia
Baelon Drakeson
Benedict Marsten
Jon Cobb
Dunstan Tullison
Theomore Tullison
Reader
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Board maintenance/issues/features - Page 3 Empty Re: Board maintenance/issues/features

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:02 pm

And now all of Reader's plans will appear on WikiLeaks!
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Board maintenance/issues/features - Page 3 Empty Re: Board maintenance/issues/features

Post by Reader Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:09 pm

Gwyneth Drakeson wrote:And now all of Reader's plans will appear on WikiLeaks!

Hopefully they'll neglect it as a dull looking spreadsheet, albeit individual stories have been word documents.

Funny story - I almost lost the whole damn campaign when my computer died. I'd made my backup of my whole computer with copy/paste which didn't copy all the files (copy/paste doesn't have enough memory for this). Think I lost everything in "
my documents"
beyond D. Thankfully the campaign was filed under "
a song of ice and fire role playing"
or similar!

Less dramatic than it sounds anyway, there are various backups on google drive and my emails/work PC. Still would have been painful!
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Reader wrote:Funny story - I almost lost the whole damn campaign when my computer died. I'd made my backup of my whole computer with copy/paste which didn't copy all the files (copy/paste doesn't have enough memory for this). Think I lost everything in "
my documents"
beyond D. Thankfully the campaign was filed under "
a song of ice and fire role playing"
or similar!
That... is such bad programming. It shouldn't be trying to copy everything into memory at once - create a temporary file with pointers to all highlighted files, then parse through it, copying and pasting each file individually. Just need memory for two files at a time - the list, and the current file being copied. So much more efficient and sensible... and a piece of cake to program, too.

Microsoft! *shakes fist*
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:28 pm

Even worse, I was aware of the risk and just being lazy/busy with various wedding tasks and didn't check. What a dolt!

Thankfully little harm done - will hopefully be back in my home study soon. Will update the dark wings thread when I have news.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:01 pm

Google-docs is your friend
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Or better yet Dropbox or equivalent. That's how I back up all my academic work.
Lets you use your favorite text/spreadsheet/image/etc editors AND Google won't be mining your hard work for fun and profit.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:51 am

Is there any way to search PMs? I am looking for some information I know I have, but can't remember what PM it was in.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:21 am

I don't think so, but when you open a pm, usually a record of the entire exchange displays below the message, which you might be able to Ctrl+F through with a key word or phrase?
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3