Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Experience, destiny & character growth

+7
Gwyneth Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson
Yoren longshore
Theomore Tullison
Kevan Lyras
Lady Corrine Marsten
Reader
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Experience, destiny & character growth Empty Experience, destiny & character growth

Post by Reader Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:39 pm

Experience
- This wil be much slower than in Southron Ambitions/Blood in the Water.
- Generally budget for c15xp for each scenario and then another 15xp in the "
offseason"
between scenarios (you'll all get a chance to pursue an individual goal and take part in a house event, but these will be more abstact than the scenarios).
- Further, some of the xp (or even, gasp, bonus xp) will be tied to specific abilities/specialties, reflecting your character's focus in the "
offseason"
. If I roll out a few jousts for your PC, Ser Jousts-a-lot, you'll get bonus XP that you can only spend on animal handling/spears etc. This will lead to fun organic character growth (and ahem, let me manage power levels).
- Ability increases and destiny investment still need to be approved to manage the power level - don't all be in a rush to get fighting 6!

Destiny/Qualities

Another element of character growth will be destiny and qualities.
- Destiny will be handed out every so often, generally after the trio of scenario, house event, personal goal pursuit.
- Alongside this, character will also have "Personal Goals" to earn a new Quality. These are handled as a "Complex intrigue"
- hit a sufficient number of victory points and you get the quality. This might take several scenarios/house events/personal goal pursuit slots to achieve, so don't worry if you don't get there straightaway.
- How do I get victory points? Each goal will have a variety of ways to generate victory points, see below for an example. Generally, this will be a list of in-game achievements ("defeat two opponents in the joust", "win a lady's favour"), and will always include "Exchange X glory for one victory point".
- Players are encouraged to think hard about a quality to target as their personal goal and submit a list of objectives that will earn them victory points.

Example goal:Roland Hite's goal from Blood in the Water
In order to gain the Anointed trait, Ser Roland needed to achieve 3 victory points. Each of the acts below was worth 1 victotry point.

- Gain the favour of a lady to champion (will most likely require an intrigue)
- Become one of the five champions in the joust
- Perform 3 acts of valour or chivalry
- Perform a notable act of piety
- Take on a worth squire (will most likely require an intriuge)
- Spend 2 point of Glory towrds this goal.

Last edited by Reader on Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Experience, destiny & character growth Empty Re: Experience, destiny & character growth

Post by Reader Sun May 10, 2015 10:03 pm

BUMP to remind those who don't have a personal objective. You're only limiting yourself. Sad
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Experience, destiny & character growth Empty Re: Experience, destiny & character growth

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun May 10, 2015 10:13 pm

Should personal goals be posted in our personal board?
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun May 10, 2015 10:18 pm

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:Should personal goals be posted in our personal board?

Yes, probably in a separate thread from the main character sheet. Smile
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon May 11, 2015 9:52 am

I understand that quite a lot of you played in BITW or Southron Ambitions. Could some of you show their old personal objectives from these games to share with us rookies?

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon May 11, 2015 9:57 am

My BITW is above, will try to dig out Southron Ambitions one tonight.

These are mainly intended to direct play and encourage interaction. If anyone finds it too stressful we can just review your progress after the story and negotiate something. Smile personally, I find them good fun and it lets me manage your development for balance. Also, VP are flexible - as with house goals, open to VP for cool deeds not listed.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon May 11, 2015 10:01 am

I didn't have any such things in SA or BITW.

Reader, you have access to old SA forums?
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon May 11, 2015 10:22 am

Theo, I retrieved bits and pieces with Wayback machine, but most of it is gone sadly. My PbP game shall prevail, unlike others before it!
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:36 pm

Question on status: can our status exceed the max starting status from the core.
May f.eks a house with low influence during game see their lord rise to high status, like littlefinger does in the books.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:00 pm

Yoren longshore wrote:Question on status: can our status exceed the max starting status from the core.
May f.eks a house with low influence during game see their lord rise to high status, like littlefinger does in the books.

With the appropriate station, yes (Hand of the King, Kingsguard etc).

The link below shows how little finger rose in status despite being from a house with low influence (beyond simply raising house influence/marrying) - acquire a prestigious title.

https://greenronin.com/sifrp/2013/05/08 ... _episode3/
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:34 pm

I'd like to have clarify a few assumptions about the structure of the "
offseason"
. And because this probably interest not only me, I post it here rather than in my forum:

From readers posts there will be time for:
a) Offseason activities / personal goals
b) An offseason house event

a): The way I understand it, this is mostly an individual story, as everybody will focus on his own goals. So, how do you, Reader, imagine this to be structured? Let's take the example of the first post of this thread about Ser Joust-a-lot: Does the player write down the story how he gets there, who he meets and which 10 knights he jousts against, coming up with statistics and running the jousts? Or does he announce that he likes to go to a Tourney at Gulltown and then you answer: "
Well there is a small tourney with the following knights: *Name and statistics drop* and you will also have a small talk with Lord soandso, who challenges you to a duel. PC go ahead and flesh out the story"

Basically, I'd like to understand how much the story is purely player driven and how much input you like to have.

b) This I understand as a short story including only house member PCs, which is more structured like a "
traditional"
play-by-post campaign where time is handled more abstract. Correct?

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:39 pm

A) Collaborative on the story and mechanics, so leaning more towards your latter example than the former but with player input on what they're hoping to get out of it IC and OOC, what rolls they're keen on. Then I throw in some complications. Hopefully we have an example soon - they'll be similar to the official events but with more opportunity for combat/a heap of jousting.
- A bunch of rolls plus some choices with upsides/downside, contributing bonuses/penalties to later rolls
- Combat: will just use combat rules
- Degrees of success across various rolls contribute to final success.

B) Yes, most of the house events are going to be structured like an official event plus a test of the warfare/combat rules with space for decisions and roleplay. Not exclusively combat/warfare - there will be something for everyone!
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:11 am

How much XP do we receive?

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:44 am

It's the first thing in this thread. :;
):

Reader wrote:Experience
- This wil be much slower than in Southron Ambitions/Blood in the Water.
- Generally budget for c15xp for each scenario and then another 15xp in the "
offseason"
between scenarios (you'll all get a chance to pursue an individual goal and take part in a house event, but these will be more abstact than the scenarios).
- Further, some of the xp (or even, gasp, bonus xp) will be tied to specific abilities/specialties, reflecting your character's focus in the "
offseason"
. If I roll out a few jousts for your PC, Ser Jousts-a-lot, you'll get bonus XP that you can only spend on animal handling/spears etc. This will lead to fun organic character growth (and ahem, let me manage power levels).
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Well, I was thinking whether the xp that was tied up came from those 15xp or if they came from bonus, sorry if it was unclear Embarassed

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Ah. Well, from how I read it, we will get 15 or so xp for the tourney arc, which we can spend anywhere
After the "
off-season"
we will get another 15xp or so, but some or all of that will be limited to specific things, based on what we were doing.
Additionally, at various points there may be some bonus xp, which would all be tied to specific things.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Ok, thanks :;
):

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:46 pm

20xp for those who took part in the Tourney at Riverrun.

This can be spent immediately or combined with your offseason activities if you want to increase an ability.

- To keep a tight reign on balance, I'll be approving XP use. Requests for combat scenes in offseason and boosting your fighting from 5 to 6 are likely to produce speciality XP to combat abilities rather than an extra 10xp towards fighting. Raising your prestige and managing your domain to boost your status from 3 to 4 (assuming you have a more impressive social role, became landed etc) is more likely to be approved.

Hope people understand and that there's room for everyone to hit their vision for their character with organic growth while remaining balanced. Smile
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:01 pm

Does XP spent to increase a rank to 3 cost 30 xp as in the books or is that houseruled? I want 3 in all my stats Razz

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:02 pm

Yoren longshore wrote:Does XP spent to increase a rank to 3 cost 30 xp as in the books or is that houseruled? I want 3 in all my stats Razz

Costs 10xp at character creation and 30xp during play, as per the books. Smile

Look forward to the well-rounded Yoren emerging!
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:05 pm

Just wanted to check as my IC group has homebrewed that
Reader aka rude gm wrote:Look forward to the well-rounded Yoren emerging!
You telling me I'll grow fat?

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:28 pm

Yoren longshore wrote:Just wanted to check as my IC group has homebrewed that
Reader aka rude gm wrote:Look forward to the well-rounded Yoren emerging!
You telling me I'll grow fat?

Perhaps from eating lots of mammoth. Razz
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:09 pm

Barbecued mammoth!

IT'S BOLD!
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:20 pm

A quick note as some people are confused (probably due to a lack of clarity on my part), culled from concerns expressed in a PM.

"
You're very much able to buy a rank in something - just combine your 20xp from the story with a targeted offseason activity.

- I spend offseason doing weights, earning 10xp towards athletics = 30xp for Athletics = 1 rank increase"
[but done in a better, more thematic way :;
): ]"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:57 pm

When and where do we roll for House Fortunes?

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next