Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awesome moments in Dragons Dance

+24
Marq Mooton
Ser Raynald Dulver
Samurel Manderly
Luecian LongBow
Ser Walton Dulver
Septon Arlyn
Ser Jorah Holt
Dyana Marsten
Ser Fendrel Bartheld
Loreia
Lady Corrine Marsten
Yoren longshore
Athelstan
Kevan Lyras
Gwyneth Drakeson
Jon Cobb
Daveth Coldbrook
Benedict Marsten
Garret Snow
Dunstan Tullison
Theomore Tullison
Baelon Drakeson
Reader
28 posters

Page 6 of 30 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 30  Next

Go down

Awesome moments in Dragons Dance - Page 6 Empty Re: Awesome moments in Dragons Dance

Post by Theomore Tullison Sun May 10, 2015 10:58 pm

Some schemers does indeed know what they are doing.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Awesome moments in Dragons Dance - Page 6 Empty Re: Awesome moments in Dragons Dance

Post by Dunstan Tullison Mon May 11, 2015 12:20 am

That's my man! (according to the rumors at least:))

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon May 11, 2015 2:18 am

Benedict Blackthorne wrote:It is easy for even Dunstan to see that Ben has a heavy weight on his shoulders. "
My Lord... Dunstan I have... met a girl. Well a woman. and..."
He takes a deep breath. "
She is no ordinary woman and I mean besides the fact that she makes me feel alive and I can not stop thinking of her. We knew each other long ago but only in passing really. It seems we have both aged and... have found in each other what we can not in others."

I are ded of romantic. Very Happy
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon May 11, 2015 1:03 pm

Reader wrote:This thread: viewtopic.php?f=85&
t=703

is the culmination of lots of hard work by Nathaniel's player, culminating in this crowing moment of subterfuge: viewtopic.php?f=107&
t=643

Bravo to Nathaniel for following this story hook.
Oh hell! Git that sumbitch, Nathan! For the tourney prizes!
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon May 11, 2015 1:05 pm

Nobody wondering why you hold a tourney in such circumstances? Just to shake people down? Gather potential lenders? Or something else?...
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon May 11, 2015 1:41 pm

I've told you what I think about Gorman, but I like House Tully. Something to do with their words. When I picked House Coldbrook for my character, I missed the part that said their overlords were the Starks instead of the Tullys.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Mon May 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Reader wrote:Nobody wondering why you hold a tourney in such circumstances? Just to shake people down? Gather potential lenders? Or something else?...
It's a common reaction for desperate people to do all they can to keep up appearances, no matter what. Doesn't have to be anything more sinister than that.

Also, I'm somewhat mystified why Lord Tully would lose his lordship over this? Borrowing money to invest in infrastructure is nothing sinister. If the projects don't pan out, it's a pity, but nothing any of his peers could reasonably hold against him, unless it was clear that the reason they failed was because Lord Tully had caused them to fail due to mismanagement. He certainly wouldn't be the first lord in Westeros to be deep in debt, so that alone isn't particularly damning either. And if he needs a scapegoat, his seneschal is practically begging for it.

As for the Iron Bank, they have exactly as much power as the narrator feels like giving them. Lords and kings defaulting on their loans was common enough in the Middle Ages, and few of them ended up deposed by their creditors. Westeros is stable, prosperous and united under one king at this point in time. Said king also commands the greatest number of dragons in the known world. Any attempt to stir up trouble would reasonably be seen as an attack on the king, since he can't afford to let the Iron Bank show him up as lacking control over Westeros. I honestly don't think the Braavosi would care to see their fleets hunted down and burned by dragon fire.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon May 11, 2015 2:58 pm

Interesting questions, but that way spoilers lie (those who know their Westeros history might be able to guess). Think you need to attack this from a family angle. The iron bank doesn't need to invade...
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon May 11, 2015 3:02 pm

For those interested in the historical angle of multiple default, this is almost the equivalent real life period:

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10084.html
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon May 11, 2015 5:28 pm

Jon Cobb wrote:Also, I'm somewhat mystified why Lord Tully would lose his lordship over this? Borrowing money to invest in infrastructure is nothing sinister. If the projects don't pan out, it's a pity, but nothing any of his peers could reasonably hold against him, unless it was clear that the reason they failed was because Lord Tully had caused them to fail due to mismanagement. He certainly wouldn't be the first lord in Westeros to be deep in debt, so that alone isn't particularly damning either. And if he needs a scapegoat, his seneschal is practically begging for it.

Lord Brom had to step down as Lord for far less than financially ruining his House.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Fendrel Bartheld Mon May 11, 2015 5:34 pm

Nathaniel Mason wrote:
Jon Cobb wrote:Also, I'm somewhat mystified why Lord Tully would lose his lordship over this? Borrowing money to invest in infrastructure is nothing sinister. If the projects don't pan out, it's a pity, but nothing any of his peers could reasonably hold against him, unless it was clear that the reason they failed was because Lord Tully had caused them to fail due to mismanagement. He certainly wouldn't be the first lord in Westeros to be deep in debt, so that alone isn't particularly damning either. And if he needs a scapegoat, his seneschal is practically begging for it.

Lord Brom had to step down as Lord for far less than financially ruining his House.

He had to? I was under the impression he decided to?

Ser Fendrel Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon May 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Ser Fendrel Bartheld wrote:He had to? I was under the impression he decided to?

I suppose it comes down to how you interpret 'retired unexpectedly'.

Was it 'I am done with all this... buh bye. ' retired unexpectedly?

Or was it 'We will be happy to accept your resignation now.' retired unexpectedly.

As a player, I can't say which is really correct without more information, but since I am working towards a pardon for Brom, I have to come down on the later. Nathan just wouldn't think he would be deserving of a pardon if it was the former.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue May 12, 2015 4:29 pm

viewtopic.php?p=13745#p13745

Moving in with only 2D on everything deserves an awesome tag. Not quite so awesome as if you had succeeded, but that's another matter.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Tue May 12, 2015 7:25 pm

Oh y'know, I really wanted to make that scene https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=bs-E8EfW_DI
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Tue May 12, 2015 8:31 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:"
Roland!"
Theomore approached his nephew's stand-in for a squire. "
Lord Dunstan's plate was bulked, please go find master Alyard and tell him to prepare the breastplate stretcher."
I can almost hear Robert Baratheon's laughter.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue May 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Dyana Marsten wrote:
Theomore Tullison wrote:"
Roland!"
Theomore approached his nephew's stand-in for a squire. "
Lord Dunstan's plate was bulked, please go find master Alyard and tell him to prepare the breastplate stretcher."
I can almost hear Robert Baratheon's laughter.

This is a double in-joke, as it refers to both a Naive PC I played and the original stories. Very droll. Very Happy

But can Theo pull off a triple in-joke?
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue May 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Sounds like a challenge. Waiting for Dunstan to post.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Fri May 15, 2015 3:12 am

Jon Cobb wrote:”There's nothing for it. The bridge must be held, or we're all doomed,” says the snake-headed man.

Unhesitatingly, Jon steps forward and proclaims, ”I'll hold it. The Crabfeeder shall not pass.”

”I cannot ask this of you,” the snake-headed man replies, ”You have suffered grievously on my account already.” Though he does not say it, his eyes betray the certainty of death for the one who will hold the bridge.

”I do not fear death,” Jon answers straight away, ”And in any case, the bridge is narrow, and easily held by one man or few against many.”

Then out spoke brave Jon Cobb, a captain fierce and strong:
”To every man upon this earth, death comes soon or late;

And how can a man die better, than facing fearful odds,
With loyal friends beside him, and with the blessings of the Gods.”

”Then you shall not stand alone, my captain,” says a man with blood pouring from his severed arm. ”We will stand with you and keep the bridge.” Silently, more dead and dying men step forward to stand beside Jon.

Then out spoke Iron Edd;
a northerner was he:
”I will stand at your right hand, and keep the bridge with thee.”
And out spoke mighty Merrik;
of Reacher blood was he:
”I will abide on your left side, and keep the bridge with thee.”

”Go then, and may the Seven watch over you.” says the snake-headed man.

Suddenly the scene shifts. Jon and the dead men are on the bridge, fighting for their lives against a roaring horde of crab-clawed warriors. With inhuman speed, Jon spins and whirls a tree-trunk size maul about him, crushing his foes until the wood beneath his feet is slick with blood and gore. Then a blow catches him in his side, throwing him to his knees. He can feel the blood trickling beneath his mail.

He reeled, and on his maul he leaned one breathing space;

Then, like a shadowcat mad with wounds, sprang right at the Tyroshi's face.
Through teeth, through skull, and helmet, so fierce a blow he sped,
His mighty maul stood a hand-breadth out, behind the Tyroshi's head.

The crab warriors won't stop coming. No matter how many he kills there are always more. The dead men are falling now, torn limb from limb by their foes. They make no sound, but somehow he can hear their accusing voices in his head.

”We trusted you. We believed in you. You killed us.”

”No, no, I didn't! You came willingly – you volunteered.”

”We came because we trusted you. You failed us. You killed us.”

And now he stands alone on the bridge. Someone is screaming, screaming, SCREAMING. Jon wishes they would stop, until he realizes that he's the one screaming.

Now all alone stood brave Jon Cobb, but constant still in mind;

With thrice a thousand foes before him, and many more behind.
”Down with him!” cried a captain, with a smile on his cruel face.
”Now yield thee,” cried the Crabfeeder, ”now yield thee to our grace!”

The crab warriors are charging again. Jon raises up his maul, but he can barely seem to move. He looks down to see the hands of the dead men clutching at his legs, holding him in place. The first claw slashes across his arm, forcing him to let go of his weapon. The second claw cuts across his face, blinding him. A third claw buries itself deep in his stomach, and suddenly a long-forgotten feeling explodes back into his mind. Fear. Visceral, gut-wrenching fear.

”Oh Seven, Oh Warrior, to whom we soldiers pray,
A warrior's life, a warrior's arms, take thou in charge this day!”
So he spoke, and raised his arms against the craven foes,
Then shouted out his challenge: "
Rush in and die, dogs!
For so it goes with all who stand against the Wrecker at the Bridge!"

The blood is pouring from a dozen wounds now, and Jon feels himself falling to the ground. The victorious crab warriors scuttle past him, ignoring his useless, dying carcass. As the blackness envelops him, he opens his mouth wide in a silent scream of terror.

I'm dying! Seven have mercy, I'm really dying. I don't want to die. Oh please, oh please, oh please, I DON'T WANT TO DIE! I DON'T WANT TO DIE!

"
Ser! SER! SER JON!"
Jon wakes to the sound of Alys' worried voice. "
Are you alright Ser? Was you havin' a bad dream? Scared me half to death, you did."
It takes him a moment to focus on blonde, beautiful Alys' anxious face. His breathing is heavy, ragged;
he can feel his pulse racing.

"
Yes...yes, a bad dream, that's all it was, my dear. It happens sometimes - nothing to worry about. But I could really use a drink right now. Be a love and fetch me something from the taproom would you?"

Left alone with his thoughts, Jon stares into the darkness. How much longer? How much more can I take before I snap like a twig?

I enjoyed this very much.

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri May 15, 2015 3:18 am

I have been enjoying his nightmares. The writing, that is, not his unhappiness.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Fri May 15, 2015 11:14 am

Dunstan Tullison wrote:I enjoyed this very much.
Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:I have been enjoying his nightmares. The writing, that is, not his unhappiness.

Thanks. I've been planning to write these since the game began, but it's been ages since I wrote anything like this, so it took a lot longer than I thought it would.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Athelstan Fri May 15, 2015 4:21 pm

PTSD...

Athelstan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri May 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Yup Sad . Poor guy.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Fri May 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Did you come up with those verses yourself? The bits of narration at the beginning and between the stanzas seem like they could be turned into stanzas for a complete song.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by  Fri May 15, 2015 11:25 pm

Wow. Fantastic stuff Jon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sat May 16, 2015 9:50 am

Athelstan wrote:PTSD...
Quite likely, yes. :;
):

Loreia Merrgal wrote:Did you come up with those verses yourself? The bits of narration at the beginning and between the stanzas seem like they could be turned into stanzas for a complete song.
Nope, the verses are adapted from [url=Horatius at the Bridge][/url] by Thomas Babington. The idea is that these are some of the verses from the Wrecker at the Bridge song that's been referenced in the game, and they're meant to contrast Jon's actual experience of the situation. Of course, since it's a messed-up nightmare, Jon's recollections are somewhat suspect as well. Very Happy

Edmund Lyras wrote:Wow. Fantastic stuff Jon
Thanks, glad you liked it.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 30 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 30  Next