Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum migration coming up soon

+8
Darron Greyjoy
Theomore Tullison
Ser Walton Dulver
Septon Arlyn
Baelon Drakeson
Loreia
Lady Corrine Marsten
Reader
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Forum migration coming up soon - Page 2 Empty Re: Forum migration coming up soon

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:28 pm

So a little digging in the ACP of the demo forum for phpBB:

Try:
Forum-permissions on the left menu, select the forum you want from the top menu, type in the name of the user in the "add users" box, hit "add permissions", select standard access from the options.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Forum migration coming up soon - Page 2 Empty Re: Forum migration coming up soon

Post by Reader Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Baelon wrote:It can be done!

Or at least, according to this help forum page. Specifically, scroll down to section II.

It still seems like a lot of work, but less than creating a group for each user.

That doesn't quite work, I don't think. I'll do some more experimenting over coming days.

Forum migration coming up soon - Page 2 Access11

Same for your suggestion I'm afraid Theo (which matches the process on the old forum, not this one).

Head desk. Will do more work on this, but I'll confess this is the downside of play by post, the mountains of admin. Rolling Eyes
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:42 pm

Fully transferred over now, I think. Smile
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:46 am

Glad you're on board Darron!

All - after some testing with Baelon it appears my manual workaround is a success (this board doesn't have an easy way for me to ghost in to an account to test its access). Will implement this solution across the board by this weekend to give everyone house & private forum access again, slightly delays Stepstones start-up, sorry.

Thanks to Baelon for his help!
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:18 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:So a little digging in the ACP of the demo forum for phpBB:

Try:
Forum-permissions on the left menu, select the forum you want from the top menu, type in the name of the user in the "add users" box, hit "add permissions", select standard access from the options.

That's how it worked on the old forum, not here sadly. Thanks for trying!
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:24 pm

I wouldn't want to rush chapter 3 though, still more than enough downtime stuff in need of resolution.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:51 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:I wouldn't want to rush chapter 3 though, still more than enough downtime stuff in need of resolution.

The game needs to move forward. There was plenty of time for other events. I will do a sweep and try to wrap up the Velaryon main combat, combats in dorne etc can be back filled later if people want. I encourage players to team up for this kind of thing. Onwards!
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:53 pm

Problem being that when some of those things are stalled waiting for your input, it makes little sense for you to push forward with other things also.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Everything essential will move on, other stuff can be returned to later. Dorne et al does not need my input. I'm sorry, but this is not up for debate.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Had a go at giving everybody House and personal forum access again. Please leave a message here if can't see something you should be able to. Please note that the House forums are near the top of the main page for now!

Please PM me if you can see something you shouldn't be able to.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:54 pm

Information

Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

When I tried to get into other members' personal forum. So I can see them, but can't access.
Everything seems fine for me.
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:00 pm

Ser Walton Dulver wrote:
Information

Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.

When I tried to get into other members' personal forum. So I can see them, but can't access.
Everything seems fine for me.

That's the best I can do, view that they exist but not read topic titles or access. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for checking! Smile
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:22 pm

Wait, you mean that Gwyn can see that I have a personal forum, but not the contents?

Unacceptable! My very existence must be unknowable! Ignore that you can even read this post! jocolor 

In all seriousness, thanks for all the work you are putting into this, Reader.
I'd give you a shiny gold star, but the best I can do is a not-shiny blue one. To make up for it, have 5: Like a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heaven
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:25 pm

Baelon Drakeson wrote:Wait, you mean that Gwyn can see that I have a personal forum, but not the contents?

Unacceptable! My very existence must be unknowable! Ignore that you can even read this post! jocolor 

In all seriousness, thanks for all the work you are putting into this, Reader.
I'd give you a shiny gold star, but the best I can do is a not-shiny blue one. To make up for it, have 5: Like a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heaven

Cheers, appreciate my players for sticking with things! I'll confess learning a different admin system is a pain and not what I want to do after work, but I'm slowly coming to grips with this one despite its flaws.

Thanks to everyone for moving over and to you in particular for helping with the access rights.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:25 pm

Just a quick note that you can see the name of the thread most recently posted in in other personal forums in your house. Not really a big deal, I think. Just avoid naming threads "Plan to betray the house" or things like that.  pirat
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Baelon Drakeson wrote:Just a quick note that you can see the name of the thread most recently posted in in other personal forums in your house. Not really a big deal, I think. Just avoid naming threads "Plan to betray the house" or things like that.  pirat

Indeed. I expect everybody to create such a thread now. It's practically mandatory.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:51 am

Reader wrote:
Baelon Drakeson wrote:Just a quick note that you can see the name of the thread most recently posted in in other personal forums in your house. Not really a big deal, I think. Just avoid naming threads "Plan to betray the house" or things like that.  pirat

Indeed. I expect everybody to create such a thread now. It's practically mandatory.

Bwahahaha!
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:56 am

2 things;

Is there a 'view first unread post' function within threads that I'm missing? That was useful.

There doesn't seem to be a 'view unread posts' on the main forum page. You can view posts since last visit, one's own posts, or unanswered posts, but unread posts was the filter I used most.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:02 am

Yep I only have access to my personal forum but as mentioned can see the last commented forum. Time to come up with those ambiguous names lol. Great work Reader getting it set up so quick.
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:04 am

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:2 things;

Is there a 'view first unread post' function within threads that I'm missing? That was useful.

There doesn't seem to be a 'view unread posts' on the main forum page. You can view posts since last visit, one's own posts, or unanswered posts, but unread posts was the filter I used most.
I too liked both those features immensely.

"View posts since last visit" seems to include all the new posts, and the threads with unread posts are highlighted red. It's not quite the same, but serves well enough.

There is in fact a "go to first unread post" button - at least, it's on the "View posts since last visit" page. It might be elsewhere too, but I haven't noticed since I discovered it (just a few hours ago). It is a small rectangular-ish orange button to the left of the thread title. By small, I mean tiny. Easy to overlook, easy to forget about, but it is there. Once in the thread itself you're on your own, apparently.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:33 pm

I can get into my house forum, but only the administrator can see posts for Ser Jorah's private forum - barred from my own character Twisted Evil

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:00 pm

Ser Jorah Holt wrote:I can get into my house forum, but only the administrator can see posts for Ser Jorah's private forum - barred from my own character Twisted Evil

Tweaked some things, any better now? May need to double check a few others, particularly coldbrooks. Please shout here if things aren't working.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:11 pm

Has everyone on the old forums been given a heads-up beyond a link in this thread?
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:Has everyone on the old forums been given a heads-up beyond a link in this thread?
There will be an email over this weekend and posts have already been made to roninarmy,rpg.net and enworld.org to let people know forumatic has shut down and to direct them here! Think that covers all my original recruitment locations and the existing player base.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Baelon Drakeson wrote:Wait, you mean that Gwyn can see that I have a personal forum, but not the contents?

Don't worry, you are an uknowable person. Laughing

I forgot to mention I'm not a fan of these smileys, but they work. Also, this is possible.

I can see and access my house forums but I can't even see anyone else's, just thought you should know. Not that I need to... 9_9
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next