Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The story so far...

5 posters

Go down

The story so far... Empty The story so far...

Post by Theomore Tullison Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:38 am

Okay, so I'm making the thread to get us going.

I think that to start off, we just post whatever we can from memory about what has happened over two chapters+downtime, plus backstory that has developed over the course of play. Keep it as short and sweet as you need to be able to add things, it needs not be organized, just post whatever comes to mind, we can clean things up later.

I would also like us to stay on topic in this thread, though I encourage reminiscing in the awesome moments thread with links to this one.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

The story so far... Empty Re: The story so far...

Post by Theomore Tullison Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:46 am

So to start with a small example of how it could be done:

Chapter 1:
-Theomore had a romantic rendezvous with Sofia Blackwood, which led to her confiding in him about the nasty things her bethrothed, Benjen Frey, was doing.
-Theo then goaded Benjen into raping a serving girl, followed by Sofia provoking him to strike her, more or less cancelling the bethrothal.
-Dunstan threw himself into the mix as Lord Tully's investigator into the matter, Theomore then ensured that the findings were rather damning.
-Benjen was put up for trial, aside from Theo's evidence, Olyvar Lucas held a speech* about his depravities, and Septon Arlyn came down with a fire and brimstone speech against him.
-Jorah Holt defeated Benjen in trial by combat, but spared his life and let him take the black.
-Meanwhile, the Marstens arranged for Sofia to marry Kevan Lyras.
Aftermath:
-Later, Benjen escaped from the night's watch and was killed by Walton Dulver.
-Theomore would then proceed to marry Floreta, Benjen's sister, and obtain his lands as bannerman to Lord Frey.

Last edited by 109 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:42 pm

I endorse this thread. Let me know if I can help anyone with bits and pieces, or if it jogs memories as to plot elements you'd like to follow-up.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:59 am

Some off the top of my head details about Blackwood and Bracken conflicts prior to chapter 1:

-There was a conflict in 109 because that's when Sterl died in it.
-There must also have been a conflict a couple of years before chapter 1 because I remember Baelon saying he was part of that.
-Theomore also recalled in one IC post that Ser Bryan (later Lord Bryan) put Blackbuckle to the torch to flush out Lord Haigh's even more formidable uncle at Theo's suggestion. Quite possibly this happened in an earlier conflict than the one Baelon could have taken part in. Maybe because scary uncle had slain Sterl in 109.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:24 pm

Trying to make a bit of a longer contribution:

During the Tourney of Riverrun:
-Theomore won the pageant before the joust.
-The joust itself was won by Ser Derrock Swann, known as the Aurochs, with Ser Kevan Lyras in second place, the older knight allowed the younger to name the queen of love and beauty, upon which Ser Kevan opted to name Sofia Blackwood, whom he later would secure the hand of in marriage.
-Other notable occurrences during the joust was Theomore's surprise unhorsing of Ser Richard Thorne of the Kingsguard on the first pass of their match, Ser Meddrick Manderly, clearly ill, defeats Ser Byron Swann, so drunk that he would possibly not have survived were it not for the actions of Daveth Coldbrook after his match. Ser Benedict, a Blackwood cousin, defeats both Lord Bracken and his son, breaking the jaw of the latter. Yoren Longshore defeats Ser Jaime Mallister, and shames Lord Lyman Mallister with a well placed insult after being defeated by the much more capable knight. 
-Theomore wins the equestrian competition held by Lord Fossoway
-Ser Baelon wins the melee, a competition notable for the participation of two women, Loreia being the last to yield, and Dyana Marsten slaying the famous mercenary, Ser Jon Cobb.

Also, Athelstan, unacknowledged bastard of Lord Longshore kills his trueborn brother Rodrick, by many seen as the obvious heir to his father's seat, in what was supposed to be a simple sparring match. After much back and forth, where Lord Tully intended to levy fines and Yoren suggesting that it was the Longshores that ought to be paid for the damages, the debacle ended in a duel between Baelon and Athelstan, where upon loosing, Athelstan was condemned to loose an eye, which he cut out on his own.

Due to Lord Dunstan Tullisons rather energetic rally for everyone to stand as champion against the Ironborn, Athelstan offered payment for information about the young lord, stirring in motion events that lead to Ser Lionel Darry, a man still clinging to the ideals of the defeated faith militant kidnapping Marei, Lord Dunstan's paramour and killing the two guards sent to accompany her. Joining Dunstan were Theomore, Baelon, Jorah, Jon Cobb, Kevan Lyras and Benedict Blackthorne, facing Ser Lionel and six other knights (plus seven other fanatics), upon the hill called Harren's Justice. During the fight, Jorah slayed Lionel in single combat.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:29 pm

Here's something I was working on a little while ago. It's not really finished, but good enough for now. Sometime I hope to get around to writing the last blurb or two about the founding. In the meantime it's all about Baelon and Gwyn in Story 1 and really, a bit light on Gwyn... any suggestions on stuff I missed about her public exploits in Story 1 are welcome, via PM please. I'm still finding some typos and forum transition formatting issues, so feel free to PM me on those, too.

One final note: Maester Leopold is the maester of House Drakeson, so much like our other sources of information about the era the author's biases may flavor the interpretation of events.

Excerpts from "See How We Soar: An accounting of the founding and first years of House Drakeson" by Maester Leopold, considered to be a more accurate (but far less exciting) account than the mummer's tale "The Dragon and the Star".
The origins of House Drakeson began in the year 124 after Aegon's the Conqueror's landing, at the grand tournament of Riverrun held in honor of the coming of age of Ser Dermot Tully. Even before the tourney proper began, Lord Baelon Drakeson - then known as Ser Baelon Waters, sworn sword to House Marsten - began to attract the attention of smallfolk, nobles, and royalty alike when - he along with the future Kingsguard, Ser Jorah Holt - did swiftly assist Queen Alicent when her carriage suffered a mishap while traveling through Riverton. Many overlook this event as being of mere passing relevance, but it is my considered opinion that this event may be the reason that King Viserys decreed - and Queen Alicent did not object to - the ennoblement of Lord Baelon, a man who was named - depending on whom is asked  - either in honor of the King's late father or in mockery of his deceased infant son....
Ser Baelon won much fame and glory in the name of House Marsten at the tourney, beyond the incident of the Queen's carriage. He had several martial and competition victories: acquitted himself with distinction in the pageant, joust, and equestrian competition; led a team in and ultimately won the melee; upheld the law as champion in the trial by combat of Athelstan the Kinslayer of House Longshore; and rode as one of Lord Dunstan Tullison's Seven to bring justice to the false knight Ser Lionel Darry. Further, he is known to have swayed hearts and minds with words in support of the Black cause, and sowed the seeds of friendship with notables both Green and Black, including Ser Eoric Tully, "Bold" Jon Roxton, Lord Haig Bracken, Ser Erryk Cargyll of the Kingsguard, Lord Dunstan Tullison, Ser Fendrel Bartheld, and others....
There was another name equally or even more praised at that tourney. Lady Gywneth Marsten repeatedly shone brightest among the many beauties in attendance, but moreover her wit and words won the love and admiration of all she spoke with. She served House Marsten well: serving as herald to Ser Baelon in the pageant, delivering an oft quoted speech in the great hall, winning the singing competition, and drawing many an approving eye and smile at the ball, winning the notice and approval of Princess Rhaenyra herself....
There are some who say that Ser Baelon took Lady Gwyneth to wife only because his attempts to woo Lady Gwyneth's cousin, Lady Corrine - heiress to House Marsten - had failed. This is quite backwards, the ox leading the drover. Ser Baelon had been convinced by Lady Corrine's mother, Lady Isobel, to seek Lady Corrine's hand to save House Marsten from possible dissolution or disaster should Lady Corrine's eventual husband be ill-suited to governance. Thus did Ser Baelon seek Lady Corrine's hand out of duty and loyalty to the House, and not wholeheartedly for love or personal gain. Indeed, it was his love, long supressed, for Lady Gwyneth that prevented him from fully committing to his suit of Lady Corrine. Thus he was relieved when Lady Corrine began to favor Ser Benedict Blackthorne, a good and respectful knight that Ser Baelon felt would be both a suitable match for the Lady and put the needs of House Marsten over his own ambitions. With his concerns over House Marsten's future allayed, Ser Baelon ceased to woo Lady Corrine, and confessed his feelings to Lady Gwyneth, asking for her hand....
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:00 pm

Coldbrook house history, each character point-by-point, as if skimming the history book and taking notes. More to come, hopefully. Will notify of updates in Placeholder/Not-Placeholder thread.

I'm sorry if I have lots more to say about myself. I remember more of my own interactions and feats than others'. If you would like to see something mentioned, PM me and I'll put it in. Or go ahead and post the things about you that I missed as a sort of recounting according to character "X". That would fit the themes of the world setting.

* - small edit, big diff: Jorah's role as champion vs accused Ser Benjen added in. And his aid in righting Queen Alicent's carriage.

124 AL:

Last edited by Loreia on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Given the quasi-historical tone of your summary, I think being light on Gwyn is appropriate. Smile

Most of the things Gwyn did were pretty personal, and simply contributed to her standing at the tourney or towards personal goals. I don't think she did much of impact that would be remembered beyond, "She made an impression among the noble ladies at the tourney, and turned down a Lord for a hedge knight who'd just been landed." Smile
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:10 pm

Well, it is being written by Maester Leopold, so he has a personal attachment and bias towards Gwyn, even moreso than Baelon. I think I got everything that got us glory, as that is at least a pseudo-public kind of thing... but yeah, a lot of what we were doing was backroom negotiations and such which wouldn't really be in a public history anyway.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:19 pm

Hmm, there's an idea, go through the events and summarize things affecting glory/resources/notables
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:33 pm

That's the idea, a biased World of Ice and Fire style summary, or something like the chapter openings in Dune. Good work.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:36 pm

So okay, glory and black/green records, from Riverrun, doesn't cover everything though. Also, I call shenanigans on the claim that Gwyn was under the radar at Riverrun.

Day 1:
-Ser Jorah and Ser Baelon helps lift up the Queen's carriage as the wheel jumps loose while a mysterious stranger manages to find a way to juryrig a makeshift repair.

Day 2:
-As gifts are presented to Queen and Princess, it appears that it is the latter that receives the most lavish attentions, most impressive of the gift-givers are Ser Theomore Tullison whom delivers a finely wrought Dragon fashioned out of black steel along with words to be retold at Dragonstone whenever the mood needs to brighten up again, Master Daveth Coldbrook, Lady Corrine Marsten and Ser Fendrel Bartheld also honor the princess greatly, the latter two making a strong impression among the gathered notabilities as well. Against this showing, all of note the Queen can celebrate is a gift from House Longshore, presented by Leifnarr Longshore.
-Lord Tully calls a grand hunt, but not many finds their fortunes, Lord Haigh Bracken accompanied by Ser Baelon manages to return home with a boar and a stag, while Lord Dunstan Tullison's party delivers a respectable collection of small game, his uncle, Ser Theomore presents a fine catch of fish, but what people remember the most from the afternoon's event is the most outlandish fishing tale told in years.
-Ser Theomore Tullison is declared pageant champion after a display of Stylish Horsemanship, skill in the saddle and ability with the lance, others impressing the crowds includes Lord Dunstan Tullison, Ser Benedict Blackthorne, Athelstan, Ser Baelon, Ser Kevan Lyras, Ser Fendrel Bartheld and Ser Derrock Swann. Lady Gwyneth Marsten is also noted for her rousing speech introducing Ser Baelon to the field.

Day 3:
-Many speeches are held in Lord Tully's great hall as he celebrates the bounty of the Riverlands, again it is the friends of the princess whom make a rather strong showing. Ser Theomore gives a rather passionate toast to the ladies of the Riverlands, some people now like to say that they knew it would become Theomore and Floreta from the moment it was held, most impressive was the lady Gwyneth Marsten's speech about hidden treasure, with Master Daveth Coldbrook and Ser Fendrel Bartheld joining in to honor the princess, though a remarkable lack of praise for the queen could be noted by those present to hear it.
-Many men seems to have an interest in bragging about their respective credentials in matters of strength, war and charm, Ser Kevan Lyras and Ser Baelon wins the acclaim of many wishing to join their teams in the melee, others putting in a strong showing includes Athelstan, Ser Jorah Holt, Ser Theomore Tullison, Ser Benedict Blackthorne, Ser Jon Cobb, Lord Dunstan Tullison, Ser Fendrel Bartheld and Ser Derrock Swann.

Day 4:
-Again, Lady Gwyneth Marsten catches the eyes of the assembled nobles by her impeccable singing, above all pleasing the princess. Others entrants of note for this impromptu contest of the arts of includes Ser Theomore Tullison, Yoren Longshore, Lady Corrine Marsten, Nathaniel Mason, Master Daveth Coldbrook, Athelstan and Edmund Lyras
-Master Daveth Coldbrook impresses with his learning at the Maester's conclave as they discuss a possible upcoming change of seasons. Grand Maester Orwyle and the friends of the queen wins the debate.

Day 5:
-"Holy Harry" manages to escape from his cell in the dungeons and take a horse, but Loreia catches up to him and sends him back to the dungeons.
-Billy Burly wins the archery competition, others such as Luecian, Nathaniel Mason and "The white hart Hunter" puts in noteworthy performances.
-A heated debate over inheritance customs are handily won by the blacks, lead on by Ser Baelon in particular, when the Queen only can rely on Nathaniel Mason for words that can go heeded in the company of such men and women as Lady Corrine Marsten, Edmund Lyras, Ser Theomore Tullison and Ser Jon Cobb all adding their voice to Ser Baelon's, to call it a contest would be a mockery.

Day 6:
-Once again Lady Gwyneth Marsten is noticed at the courts due to her impeccable toast to the troupe of Casque and Wren

Day 7:
-Ser Theomore Tullison wins the equestrian competition, followed by Ser Baelon. Other notable contestants include Ser Derrock Swann, Ser Benedict Blackthorne and Aerion Storm
-No guesses as to whom is the most impressive participant at the grand ball, as Lady Gwyneth Marsten once again wins favor for herself and the princess.

day 8:
-Mushroom makes his appearance at the champion's feasts, and Nathaniel Mason manages to overturn a string of victories for the princess by landing one for the queen, even managing to embarrass the dwarf in front of everyone, Mushroom takes it in high spirits, though he is not above turning the opinions of the crowd against the rapist, Ser Benjen Frey, the whole charade is otherwise noteworthy for the obvious tensions between Ser Baelon and Ser Lorent Marbrand of the kingsguard.
-early in the night, Ser Benedict Blackthorne and Lady Corrine Marsten helps calm those around them through inspiring self-control and confidence in a night where everyone seems to have had nightmares.
-Even so, a grand fist fight breaks out between greens and blacks and maybe against whoever just happened to be there. Ser Derrock Swann becomes the champion of the green team who must be said to have won that brawl, though Ser Benedict Blackthorne lead many of supporters of the princess into giving almost as good as they got. Master Daveth Coldbrook did a heroic effort patching up the wounded while Ser Baelon deserves acclaim for a strong effort to make others restrain themselves, but one cannot help but wonder if such attempts were moot considering such instigators as lurks in the shadows, thriving upon the chaos wrought by the fires of anger they so eagerly fuels.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:59 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:So okay, glory and black/green records, from Riverrun, doesn't cover everything though. Also, I call shenanigans on the claim that Gwyn was under the radar at Riverrun.
I think you misunderstood - a lot of Gwyn's successes that were not already mentioned in Maester Leopold's account were private negotiations and the like. I certainly wasn't saying she was 'under the radar". Smile

In fact, I believe Gwyn was the second-highest Glory winner in the tourney, 1 or 2 points after Baelon. Alas, as we both decided to diversify our skill sets rather than enhance our specialties (and probably moreso because Orokos is a fickle beastie), we no longer stand out in quite the same way... but that's quite alright. It's a story, not a competition.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:05 pm

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say Gwyn wasn't noticed. Just that her accomplishments weren't really of the kind that would generally be recorded in an instrument of history. Smile
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down