Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips & How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for PbP')

+6
Theomore Tullison
Yoren longshore
Lady Corrine Marsten
Reader
Septon Arlyn
Baelon Drakeson
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tips &
How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for PbP') Empty Tips & How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for PbP')

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:49 pm

Hey, I thought that for folks who are new to PbP or at least new to some of the particulars of this game it would be good to have a central place for tips &
tricks on using the forum, the die roller, etc.
Anyone should feel free to contribute or ask questions, but let's keep this to being helpful and not "
could you [not] do X"
type complaints.

So for starters, here's a tidbit of info on using the Orokos roller: pre-formatted results.
When posting die rolls you may have noticed that some people have fancy formatted results instead of just links. Here's a secret - we're not putting any work into it.
After submitting your roll, you will see something like this:
Tips &
How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for PbP') EnbIHba.png
notice where it says "
bbcode"
in the red box? If you click it, a box with code for bulletin boards (like this one) appears.

Tips &
How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for PbP') Z4Qkjyn.png

Copy that text and paste it into your post, and you will get something that looks like this:
[url=Exchange 1 - Charm vs Dunstan][/url]: 6d6k5+5 24 1d6 4 1d6 1

Easy and easy to read.

Last edited by 111 on Sat May 09, 2015 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Tips &
How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for PbP') Empty Re: Tips for PbP

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Now with fixed image links. Rolling Eyes
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun May 03, 2015 7:39 pm

This is something that Theomore posted in a previous game that I thought was quite well written and very helpful (taught me some new stuff and I had played before, so well worth a read even for experience players)
Just a little something I wrote some time ago that I imagine some might find useful (especially new players), as my experience is that there's always someone that makes mistakes on this.

The Basic Test
For any kind of test, the following steps are followed:
1. Roll an amount of dice equal to the sum of the test dice and bonus dice
2. Discard an amount of dice equal to the sum of the bonus dice and penalty dice
3. Apply any modifiers to the test.
4. Compare the result with the difficulty.

Typically, a difficulty is given by the narrator for a given task, ranging from automatic (0) to heroic (21). If you succeed, you gain a number of degrees of success based on by how much you beat the result with:

0-4: 1 degree
5-9: 2 degrees
10-14: 3 degrees
15+: 4 degrees

Two other kinds of tests are also worth mentioning:
A Competition Test is one where two or more characters each roll against the same difficulty and compares results, whoever gains the most degrees of success wins, while an equal amount of degrees is typically a tie.

A Conflict Test is one where a character use an ability against another character. This may be to swing a sword past his shield or to sneak past undetected. The test is made against the relevant passive defense of the character in question, such as combat defense against attacks and passive awareness against sneaking. Sometimes an opposed roll is used instead. For example, if the guard that a character is trying to sneak past is actively searching, the guard rolls awareness-notice, and that is the difficulty rather than the passive awareness.

Test Dice
These are the kept dice (though see penalty dice below). You have a number of these equal to the rank in the ability tested. Fighting 5D, for example means that you have 5 ranks in Fighting, and thus roll 5 test dices with fighting. Sometimes, you gain additional test dice. Noted as +XD, these are added. If you have the expertise (long blades) quality, you gain +1D when fighting with a longsword, and would thus roll 6D on any test with a longsword, plus any additional test dices you could gather from other circumstances.

Bonus Dice
These are unkept dice. You have a number of these equal to the applicable specialty for the test in question. You may for example have Fighting 5D, Long Blades 3B. You roll the 5 test dices for the longsword as usual, but in addition, you also roll the 3 bonus dices, for 8 dice total. But bonus dices are unkept dice, so you only get to keep the 5 dice with the highest result. Some circumstances may alter the amount of bonus dice you get. If for example, you wield a bastard sword with it's training penalty of -1B, you roll one less bonus dice than you would have (so 5 kept and 2 unkept), if you took the aim action, you'd get +1B (for 5 kept and 4 unkept), and if you had animal handling 3 and were on horseback, you would gain an additional +3B. However, you may not have more bonus dice than test dice on a roll (some qualities and other factors allows you to circumvent this in specific cases, mind). So you remain capped at 5D+5B, if however, you have the expertise (long blades) quality, you have (5+1=6)D, which would allow you to roll 6D+6B.

Penalty Dice
These are additional unkept dice. Noted as -#D. If you have Fighting 5D, Long Blades 3B, and are using the charge action (which bestows a -1D on your attack) you roll 5D+3B as normal, roll all eight dice, remove the 3 lowest, as normal. And then you remove an additional dice because of the penalty. Essentially you roll eight dices and keep the four highest. Keep in mind that penalty dice does not reduce the cap on bonus dice. If you were charging on horseback as in the above example, you would roll 5D+5B and then apply the penalty dice after, effectively rolling 10 dice and keeping the 4 highest.

Just a quick addendum I posted in that other game, not specifically about rolling per se, but related:

It should be noted however, that there are many exceptions to these basic rules;
for instance certain things will give you bonus dice that can exceed the normal limit on bonus dice (such as the Fast weapon quality).

Something else to be aware of: how to calculate your passive score: 4x(test dice) + 1x(bonus dice)
Note that this ignores penalty dice and modifiers! However, again there are exceptions to this.

Of particular note is the Flaw drawback. It is very common (particularly in middle aged and above characters):
In addition to getting a -1D in the attribute, it reduces your passive and derived statistics as if the attribute were one lower.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun May 03, 2015 8:03 pm

While I was over on the old game's forum, I decided to grab this bit I wrote on jousting.
Note that the section on cheating is only written regarding cheating in the joust itself;
The Dastardly Duo have already shown us some of what cheating can be done in prelude to the joust. I'm sure we'll be seeing more. :;
):

Ok, in an attempt to eliminate some of the hangups that have slowed the melee, I've been thinking that a review of the jousting rules is in order.
That way any questions/issues can be addressed ahead of time.

I'm no expert (Symon is my first jouster), but here's how I understand it. Let me know if I missed anything, or got something wrong.

Giddy up!
Jousting is mounted combat. In general it follows all the normal rules for combat while mounted.
There are several exceptions of course, or I wouldn't need to make this thread.
The general format is that you make a series of passes along a divided field.
Each pass consists of each participant making an attack roll, and then dealing with the results.
In theory you are aiming for your opponent's shield, with the goal of knocking them off their horse without killing them.
In between each pass you may take one (and only one) Catch Your Breath action.

Initiative? We don't need no stinken' Initiative!
Jousters are assumed to strike simultaneously (Spear Fighter II would be hilarious here, but no.) As a result, Initiative is not rolled.

Ramming Speed!
There is only one action you can take: charge! Note that this means your attack will have the charge modifiers.
This means there is no point to spending DP/fatigue to get extra actions. Arguably you could spend a DP and a fatigue (or 2 DP) and get a second charge, but I think hitting your opponent in the back would be perceived as cheating. Razz

Perhaps you could use them to get an extra Catch Your Breath actions, but that is up to the Narrator. DP are probably better used to add bonus dice or convert bonus dice to test dice, adn fatigue is probably better used to ignore the penalties from injuries or a wound.

Dodge this.
It doesn't matter how good you are at dodging. What matters is how well you can get your horse to move just right at just the right time.
Combat Defense does not apply. Instead you attack against your opponent's passive ride: (Animal Handling x 4) + (Ride bonus dice)
Note: this is NOT an agility check, AP does NOT apply. Shields do not add to it, nor Blood of the Royne, Acrobatic Defense, or anything else that modifies CD.
Wear the heaviest armor you can find, because AR is still important.

Tourney lances are crap, but they still hurt
Tourney lances have the fragile quality (2+ DoS and they break), and on the jousting results table on page 168, they break if there are 0-1 DoS. So either the fragile property does not apply in a joust, or the lance breaks every time (unless you critically miss). Also, while it is not explicitly stated, I think the notion of a superior tourney lance is laughable.
Regardless of whether or not they are crap, they still can do a LOT of damage. Their base damage is Animal Handling +3, +2 for charging, and are powerful for potentially even more damage. That means that even if you dropped your Animal Handling to 1 and have no business on a warhorse, you do at least 6 damage per DoS. Most will be doing at least 8, and a starting character could go as high as 13 with nothing above a 4. This is why heavy armor is a must!

Tourney lances are spears
They also have a training penalty. Thus hope you have at least 1B in spears or you are at -2D right off the bat (-1D for not meeting the training penalty, -1D for the charge).
All other modifiers apply as they would to any other spear. Don't forget that you are mounted, and thus also get your Animal Rank as bonus dice (after accounting for training).
Assuming you have at least 1B in spears, the attack roll formula is: ([fighting]+[spears]-1+[animal handling])d6k([fighting]-1)
If you do not have at least 1B in spears, the attack roll formula is: ([fighting]+[animal handling])d6k([fighting]-2)
Note that it is an attack roll, so normal bonus die limits and modifiers apply (wounds, injuries, fatigue, Talented benefit, etc.), as well as the Tourney Knight benefit, of course.

The last one riding wins
Like any combat you can knock your opponent out with enough damage (though they can take injuries and wounds as normal). With the amount of damage that can be done, this can happen fast.
However, that is the secondary method (in theory). The primary method is by unhorsing them. If you hit your opponent with at least one DoS and they are not knocked unconscious, they must make an
Animal Handling(Ride) test to stay in the saddle. The difficulty is determined by the number of DoS: 9/12/15/18. Remember that any injuries or wounds you take to reduce the damage apply to the check!
If you are knocked off, you take 1 DoS worth of damage [AR does not apply!]

Note that if both riders remain defeated after the third pass, the tourney judges may declare a winner (typically whoever had the most DoS)

It is not wise to enter a tourney joust "
just because"
. Unlike in the melee, there is a penalty for losing beyond any injuries or wounds you may take. The loser of a joust must give their armor and their horse to the victor. Typically they are ransomed back for the monetary value of the objects, but that is up to the victor.

Maneuvers
Jousting isn't just a dice-off, however. There are maneuvers you can choose to modify your rolls. Every maneuver has a penalty that comes with it's benefits, however.
For each pass, you choose a maneuver. Ostensibly you should not know your opponent's maneuver in advance, but as the is PbP that is difficult to arrange. I would however suggest that we put the name of the maneuver in the the die roll description, as you are supposed to choose the maneuver before rolling.

Code:
Name | Benefit | Penalty
-------------------|-------------------------|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Standard | none | none
Aggressive | +X on Fighting check | -X on passive Ride (easier to hit you)
Braced | +X on Ride check if hit | -X on fighting check
Defensive | +X to passive Ride | -X on fighting check
Eyes Fixed | +1 on Fighting check | +1 damage per DoS dealt to you if hit, may lose an eye or die if defeated
High in the Saddle | +X on Fighting check | -X on Ride check if hit
Note: X is either 1 or 2, your choice.

Cheating
I don't really have to go over this, right? We're all honorable folks who would never... what's that you said? Oh fine, I'll go over it.

There are two ways to cheat in a joust. 1) aim for the rider or 2) aim for their horse.
Presumably this would mean making your attack roll against the rider's CD&
nbsp;
or the horse's, rather than their passive Ride. Either CD will likely be much lower, so you will have a much better chance of success... and of course, a higher chance of doing serious damage, which is why it's not allowed! If you do cheat, you make a deception check against passive awareness checks to escape notice. Presumably, it will be against your opponent and any judges, as well. Even if you successfully pass it off as having been an accident, your victory will be tainted by the bad blow and it may have a negative impact on your reputation.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Tips &
How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for PbP') Empty Re: Tips & How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for Pb

Post by Septon Arlyn Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:08 am

Bump for access on the first page/ necromancy :mrgreen: Twisted Evil
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Tips &
How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for PbP') Empty Re: Tips & How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for Pb

Post by Reader Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:53 am

Good call septon and thanks Baelon. Made this a sticky.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:03 pm

Thanks!

Also, a big thanks to Theo as well. That bit on die rolls is something that is very frequently misunderstood, and it is written in a clear and concise manner.
Let's also remember that this is an open thread - if anyone else has something to contribute, please don't hesitate to post it. This isn't my thread, it's everybody's thread.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:34 pm

My only PbP advice is "
Don't be a dick."
, but we've got that down already, I think. Smile
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Yoren longshore Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:44 pm

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:My only PbP advice is "
Don't be a dick."
And equally important: enjoy yourself.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:46 am

Don't be a dick."

You character can totally be one, though :mrgreen:
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:
Don't be a dick."

You character can totally be one, though :mrgreen:

Ditto. :;
):
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:38 pm

I was looking at orokos expression help when I found out about something: Some abilities allow you to re-roll certain results. You may express this with an r
for example: If you have 4d6k3r1 Orokos will roll 4d6k3 but if any ones pop up it will reroll the ones until it does not show any more ones. If you only wish to reroll once type:
ro in the expression. This will look like this in the example above: 4d6k3ro1.

Hope this helps anyone!

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Luecian LongBow Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:10 pm

As a new player I found this thread very helpful when I joined, much gratitude to the creators/contributors! Very Happy I did have one question around the battle maps used for the mass combat, is there a specific tool that helped create those or were they all created manually somehow?
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Created manually, but simple to duplicate. Just Quote a map and replace the terrain features with some of your own, then you have your own map :;
):
Hope that no one files copyright :?

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Luecian LongBow Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Ahh gotcha thanks! Of course I will create one totally from scratch *cough* um if we need one for our mass battle... Embarassed
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:21 pm

Yoren longshore wrote:I was looking at orokos expression help when I found out about something: Some abilities allow you to re-roll certain results. You may express this with an r
for example: If you have 4d6k3r1 Orokos will roll 4d6k3 but if any ones pop up it will reroll the ones until it does not show any more ones. If you only wish to reroll once type:

Hope this helps anyone!

Problem is that there tends to be limitations to the re-rolls, so if you rolled three 1's (bound to happen for someone), that code will re-roll all of them, which would be an issue if you only can re-roll two.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:34 pm

Good point! Didn't consider that one...

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:48 pm

Yoren longshore wrote:I was looking at orokos expression help when I found out about something: Some abilities allow you to re-roll certain results. You may express this with an r

Hope this helps anyone!

Very helpful!
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Loreia Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:08 pm

I'll confirm that this works, with Reader giving final word(he may want to test it himself).

I tested this with 20d6, adding "
ro1"
. I managed to get a roll counting three 1's, meaning there was a fourth 1 that got rerolled, and only the one. Tested just "
r1"
and got back no 1's whatsoever on any rolls. Tried with "
r2"
, got back no 2's, etc. I tested "
ro2"
and managed to get a roll with 2's, meaning there was at least one 2 that was rerolled.

It does work, then, but careful distinction: "
ro1"
to reroll only one 1, simple "
r1"
rerolls all 1's. the code is "
rN"
and "
roN"
where "
N"
is the number you wish to reroll. You could type in "
ro6"
to reroll only one 6.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Reader Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:18 pm

I do believe that I recommended using the ro1, so I very much approve. Smile
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:23 pm

RoN can be used with marked, because it does exactly what that quality says you must.

But with attractive, there's a cap of 2 re-rolls (since to my awareness, nobody has persuasion 6, and I have a feeling Reader would say no if anyone asked).

If you had 6d6k4ro1, and the original dices came up with three one's, it would reroll all of them. Besides, the RAW of attractive would allow you to re-roll the re-roll if that came up 1 (and the original roll only had one of them).
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:29 pm

the "
ro1"
code rerolls ALL ones, but only once. "
r1"
rerolls all 1s, rerolling the rerolls as well.
"
1d6r1"
yields the same as 1d5+1: {2,3,4,5,6}
"
1d6ro1"
yields something a little more complicated: 1/36 chance of a 1 and a 7/36 chance each of 2-6.

The issue is with large numbers of rolled dice with a small number of allowed rerolls.

For instance Baelon rolls 6d6 with 2 rerolls for his persuade(charm). There is about a 6% chance of rolling 3 or more 1s on 6d6.

There is an alternative, though, if you don't mind a tiny bit of addition. "
6d6;
2#1d5"
will roll the 6d6 and 2 1d5 rolls all at once. Then you simply look at the results to see how many 1s you rolled. If one, you simply can add in the first d5 roll. If two or more, you add both. Simple and accurate. (this is an improvement on the "
substitute and add"
method I used previously)
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Luecian LongBow Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Any help appreciated in advance but I tried to combine marked into my persuasion-charm roll and it did not seem to work as I thought. I used an attractive example I had found on the forums but clearly something went wrong as it appears it rerolled all the dice once? Any ideas or should I just stay with rolling and then manually rerolling any 6's? Thanks in advance

[url=Charm Influence-Lord Dunstan Tullison][/url]: 5d6ro6k4! 16
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Yoren longshore Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Luecian LongBow wrote:Any help appreciated in advance but I tried to combine marked into my persuasion-charm roll and it did not seem to work as I thought. I used an attractive example I had found on the forums but clearly something went wrong as it appears it rerolled all the dice once? Any ideas or should I just stay with rolling and then manually rerolling any 6's? Thanks in advance

[url=Charm Influence-Lord Dunstan Tullison][/url]: 5d6ro6k4! 16
What you've done is that you've set the dice to roll any dice equal to or under 6. You'll need to set it so that just 6 gets rolled anew.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Tips &

Post by Dunstan Tullison Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Usually people just reroll 1s or whatever manually.

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Tips &
How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for PbP') Empty Re: Tips & How-tos for Dragon's Dance (Formerly 'Tips for PbP')

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next