Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D8,EM]Bearding the Lion (Closed)

4 posters

Go down

[D8,EM]Bearding the Lion (Closed) Empty [D8,EM]Bearding the Lion (Closed)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Daveth stands waiting inside his father's tent, watching Ser Jorah present Ser Lionel's armour to Lord Coldbrook, in front of his advisory council, as he tells him of how he came to slay the fanatic, including mention of Daveth's role after the fact of patching up wounds.

Then, all too quickly, it was Daveth's turn to speak. He steps forward and bows, looking to his right to reassure him that Garret was standing there, a step behind, clearly in support, then looks to his left to confirm that Ser Jorah is standing in a mirrored position.

And finally, he looks across the room at his father, looking sternly back. It would be nice to think that now that I have the courage to face him, he looks small, but no. He's still the same intimidating figure from all too many of my nightmares.

"
Lord Coldbrook."
Daveth stands, feet shoulder-width apart, hands clasped behind his back, heart beating like the drums of the armies of the damned, mouth dry, voice feigning confidence. "
I come before you today to tell you that the lack of a clear heir for our house is hurting our diplomatic efforts. Houses like to have confidence in who they're dealing with, and so long as the current ambiguity persists, they are unsure of the future character of our house, as well as some of them lacking faith that we will not fall apart in petty squabbling over the issue.

"
We should take the opportunity of this tournament to make a public statement that House Coldbrook has a fixed, firm, and final decision as to who should be heir."

The words hang in the air for a couple of moments while Daveth tries to force the next sentence out past a sudden lump in his throat.

"
And that decision should be me."

Carrying on quickly, "
Firstly, while Garret's legitimacy may not be an issue for anyone inside this tent, I can assure you that it *is* an issue for many people outside it. Having a baseborn lord will make future deals with many other houses much harder.

"
Secondly, diplomatic efforts are weakened through knowledge that they are dealing with a mere diplomat, who must gain their lord's approval before anything is finalised. Military efforts are uncaring of if the person leading them is the lord, or the lord's brother.

"
Thirdly, relations between houses are based on relations between people, and no person is more important in that regard than the lord himself. As you know, I have been focusing the bulk of my diplomatic attention on improving our relations with House Marsten, who I believe will be a strong partner for us moving forwards. I have been successful in this regard. Approving me as heir is a strong indication that House Coldbrook believes in and is committed to this partnership. *Trust* is the most precious commodity between houses, and this will gain us plenty."
Daveth can feel the letter from the Marstens inside a pocket, ready to be pulled out to support his claim should it be challenged, but not wishing to drag out proceedings by presenting it unnecessarily.

"
I am well aware that I am not ideal lord material. My lack of military ability is indeed a serious flaw, I do not deny it. But I will do what other lords do when confronted with situations they lack knowledge in. I will rely on advice. And one thing our house has plenty of is wise, experienced, knowledgeable soldiers."
looking across the various soldiers in Lord Coldbrook's council before his eyes return to Lord Coldbrook himself. "
Nor would I be short of a trustworthy proxy to lead armies in my place."
a small glance towards Garret, before his eyes return again, settling briefly on Captain Orell on the way.

"
I know we have had our personal differences, Lord Coldbrook. Truthfully, in many ways, we are as different as it is possible for two people to be. But there are things we have in common. We both love this family of ours, and want to protect it, each in our own way. I am asking that you trust in that, and trust in my judgement in this, as you have with so many other matters, regardless of your personal feelings towards me. Let Garret focus his energies on the area that he loves - becoming the greatest general he can be, so that when the time comes, may it be many years from now, he can lead our forces to victory, stronger than ever from our house's prosperity and the strength of our allies."

Well, that's done, now.

Great. All that remains now is for him to reply 'no', and destroy all your well-laid plans.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

[D8,EM]Bearding the Lion (Closed) Empty Re: [D8,EM]Bearding the Lion (Closed)

Post by Reader Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:17 am

[OOC: placeholder]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Lord Coldbrook listens attentively to Ser Jorah's tale of victory, marking the tales end with a clenched fist over his heart in salute.

"
We are lucky to have a man of your prowess beneath our banner Ser Jorah. You have done House Coldbrook a great service."

Then, Daveth's chance comes.

Lord Coldbrook is impassive throughout, displaying none of the rapt attention he exhibited at Ser Jorah's triumph. This in itself was evidence of the progress Daveth had made with his "
father"
in the earlier festivities - normally he would not deign to listen to such a speech, particularly from Daveth. Lord Coldbrook was a man of action.

He weighs Daveth's words for what seems like an eternity before he finally speaks.

"
Your endeavours for our House have not gone unnoticed Daveth. A general of merit knows each piece under his command has its strengths and weaknesses."

"
And perhaps you are right - perhaps I have created a weakness in House Coldbrook where there need not be one."

"
But you stand before me thinking yourself a man, ready to call yourself a leader of men and my heir."

"
A man may think himself a leader."

"
A man may call himself a leader."

"
A may may even claim leadership."

"
But words are wind Daveth. A man is only a leader if others will follow."

Lord Coldbrooks deep-set eyes bore in to Daveth and the others present as he weights for them to speak up on Daveth's behalf or condemn his ambition, or to see firm evidence of the support Daveth enjoys in other houses.

He was a military man, and would weigh the support of his martially inclined advisors and servants particularly highly on this matter - if they found merit in the boy, perhaps he had misjudged him.

[OOC: Let's see if you've got the points needed IC!

Ser Jorah will speak up in support if he's not around IC yet, as his allegiance is clear. Daveth - feel free to narrate this if Jorah isn't around or have it as "
supported speech"

You'll need to present the letter and for Loreia to speak up too...]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:37 pm

Garret looks his serious step brother firmly in the eye and flashes a smile, before surprising many present by seizing the first opportunity to speak.

"
Father you have taught me well in the ways of war."

"
A man must use the appropriate weapon for the task."

"
The spear against cavalry."

"
The mace against heavy armour."

"
The bow to drive off skirmishers."

"
In the battle our house faces now, have my brother's actions not shown that he is the right weapon for the foes that face us now?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Daveth smiles his thanks at his brother. "
Well, let's see."
pulling out a couple of letters. "
I asked Lady Corrine Marsten, and her betrothed, Ser Benedict Blackthorne, to write letters expressing their opinions on the matter of the inheritance. To keep myself honest, I have not opened them yet."
he holds the letters in front him, showing the room that the seals are intact, before taking them back.

"
With your permission, Lord Coldbrook, I will start with Ser Benedict's."
He breaks the seal on the letter, mentally takes a deep breath, and begins to read it. Not drawing it out or labouring the point, simply delivering the contents in a clear voice.

"
Lord Coldbrook,

When I first met Daveth, before I knew what this tournament would bring both of us, I told him that he was the kind of person I'd want for my advisory council should I ever have need of one. As I've gotten to know him better, my opinion hasn't changed. He is wise beyond his years, and I am confident he will become a truly formidable lord in time.

I consider him my friend already,

Sincerely,

Ser Benedict Blackthorne

"
And now for Lady Corrine's."
he says, breaking the other seal and opening the other letter.

"
My Lord Coldbrook,

Over the past week, it has been my great pleasure and privilege to get to know your son, Daveth. He has asked me to write you this letter, as a friend and ally, so that you may better assess his suitability as your heir.

It is my opinion that Daveth is a man of great character and fortitude, with intelligence and honour that commends him greatly. While he acknowledges his lack of military prowess, he is a talented diplomat, and wise tactician, which have an important place in leadership. Not all great leaders are warriors, after all. His skill as a healer also lends him a methodical poise that will serve him well as a ruler, and the empathy that characterises a good man that others can respect and follow.

My faith in Daveth is such that House Marsten stands fully behind his claim, and I have already agreed to offer friendship and aid to House Coldbrook in the future, based on Daveth's deft negotiations and noble purpose. I very much look forward to helping House Coldbrook reach it's ascendancy, and I hope to see Daveth fulfil his destiny and his potential as your heir.

Sincerely,

Lady Corrine, Head of House Marsten

Daveth barely manages to prevent himself from blushing while reading the praise, but he does. When he's finished, he hands the letters to an attendant. Partly to clear his hands, partly so his father may check the letters without being so crass as to openly doubt his adopted son's word.

"
I think it's fair to say I made a good impression. And as I've said, House Marsten, with their influence and prestige, are the ideal partners for us moving forwards. As my brother said,"
with a small smile. "
The right weapon for the task."

(OOC: Credit to Lady Corrine for her letter. I wrote Ser Benedict's, which he approved. Then I re-wrote it from memory as like an idiot, I appear to have deleted the relevant PM. Hopefully I got it at least mostly right.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:18 am

Stood slightly to the side and behind Daveth, as planned, Ser Jorah was the next to speak in support.

“I have been training Daveth for most of his life, but it is not until somebody has been tested that you truly know what they are capable of. A tournament such as this can make or destroy a man and it is my opinion that it has made Daveth ready to become heir to House Coldbrook.

He is one of the smarter people I have ever met;
mostly self-taught, constantly learning and has the discipline to learn without the aid of a Maester and has the will and ability to wield it. There are plenty of lords are not the greatest of warriors;
Lord's Dulver and Kytley would be a prime examples.

He is politically astute. House Coldbrook has strength of arms, that was needed to establish our house but now it needs the foresight to move us forward, a strong arm can accomplish much, but a strong brain will accomplish more. He sees the possibilities for this House to flourish. Look at what you have accomplished so far;
we are on the verge of allying with two prominent houses as an equal. Strength is not enough by itself and I think you are capable of marrying the two. In the past week, the tensions between House Tullison and House Coldbrook have been lessened.
He has the view towards the long game that is required to make us an even more successful house."

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:01 am

Lord Coldbrook listen's most intently to his house's champion who had already valiantly bested Ser Lionel Darry, an old thorn in his side.

For the first time during the tense meeting he nodded, particularly at the mention of Lords Dulver and Kytley, betraying a slight shift in his view. Would this crack open up and usher in Daveth's confirmation as heir?
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:42 pm

*I suppose that's my cue. Little NC roleplay to give her the push I'm looking for.*

Lord Coldbrook's discerning gaze shifts toward the guards on duty, noting Loreia's presence, before looking back toward Daveth with stoic appraisal. "
What is your perspective, Loreia?"
he asks, wearing a mask of distant regard.

His tone of address isn't nowhere near genuine curiosity. The only good asking a guard's opinion would do is stall for time, or reveal a weakness in their words which he could exploit. Nervous and shaking only ever so slightly, a little caught off guard, Loreia has no speech or big words prepared. Mayhaps this could work in Daveth's favor, if she supports him.

"
M'lord. I've known both Daveth an' Garret well since I was brought to Grenward. Both have lordly qualities that what the other lacks. Daveth is no fighter, but he is brave, and smart. He has a bright mind, an' we need someone who understands lordly intrigue to have the final say in the future, settin' aside personal feelings, for our house to thrive. Daveth has...demonstrated this quality many times over."

For the duration, she avoids eye contact with anyone but Lord Tomas. Gods, if they could just not look at me, If I could only say all this to him without them present. But they were present, and this was the only reason she was saying anything at all. She could feel the tension in their hope and expectations beating down on her from whichever direction they stood, the pressure difficult to bear.

[url=Pressure(courage) TN9 - Bearding the Lion][/url]: 5d6k4 19

For a moment, she blots out all notice of them. It is just her and Lord Coldbrook, a lord and his faithful retainer. Some pressure remains - the pressure is all you, she tells herself. She can feel the eyes on her, waiting, judging, but she holds fast, because she has finally come around.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:03 pm

Daveth carefully restrains a wince when Lord Coldbrook asks Loreia her opinion. Well, if figures he'd ask. Now I just need to improvise some counter-arguments.

Throughout Loreia's brief speech, he keeps waiting for the 'but'. For her to move on to saying why Garret should be heir. And it never happens. Somehow, since their blazing row the day before, she'd changed her mind. He glances over at Ser Jorah, to see if he had a hand in it, but gets no sense that he has.

Well, I'm certainly not complaining. It looks like everything's going my way.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Figuring that Lord Coldbrook's small gesture of approval was the opening he could make use of, and Loreia's words had supported him, Daveth decided to pull out his final weapon.

"
Speaking of our house thriving in our future, there is something more. As we all know, we have lands set aside for a banner house, which Lord Coldbrook has said the heir can allocate as their first decision. I think we all originally believed that they would go to Ser Jorah, who we all know is well-deserving of such an honour. But this tourney has brought the potential of an even greater honour to his door - that of entering the Kingsguard itself! And for that, the lands would actually be a detriment.

"
So, I have been considering alternatives, and sounding out if they were plausible. And I can tell you now that I have had confirmation from Ser Baelon - the famous Targaryen-descended knight - and his betrothed, Lady Gwyneth Marsten - who all of us know has been the star of many events this tournament - that if we offered them the banner house, they would accept, pending arrangement of details, having enough faith in our house's future from their dealings with me that they are prepared to tie their futures to ours. I believe that there can be fewer stronger statements of faith than that, and I think that taking them under our wing is a fantastic move for our house."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:52 pm

Lord Coldbrook salutes Loreia, raising a clenched fist to his heart. "
Simple sincerity from my soliders. A lord needs such men, aye and women too."

"
And what of your brother? He has spoken fine words in your favour, words I scare knew he had in him except to chase some washerwomen or chambermaid."

"
Your exploits are impressive, the house speaks for you."

"
But what of my son, my flesh and blood?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:51 pm

Joren. Daveth purses his lips, then takes a deep breath. "
I have looked into the matter this tourney. Firstly, I believe the actions taken last year were done by the knight alone, or at least without the knowledge of the rest of his house. Their Lord is young, direct, and passionate. And, I would say, a good man. I do not believe he would knowingly have anything to do with it. Unfortunately, he is utterly in the thrall of his uncle and would tear out his own eyes were they to witness his wrongdoing, rather than acknowledge the truth. Further, he is a likeable and popular young man, with many friends. We absolutely cannot afford a feud between our houses, no matter what."

So. How much dare I say? He looks in his father's eyes, and for the first time, finds common ground with him, in the pain there. Like me, this pain will never die. He needs hope. He looks around at the faces within the tent. Father's most trusted, true. But is that enough? If I speak too honestly, will my words doom me to an early grave? But if I hold too much back, will my father act rashly in hopes of vengeance?

"
There is a little more I can say. But I consider that a family matter, and would appreciate some privacy. With your permission, Lord Tomas, I would like everyone who's not family to give us a few minutes. Ser Jorah and Loreia can remain to ensure security is maintained."

[url=Politely clear the tent - Bearding the Lion - TN9][/url]: 4d6 14 2 DoS

Lord Tomas considers for a moment, then gives a small nod, and people file out of the tent, giving looks more curious than angry, leaving just Lord Tomas, Garret, Daveth, (Lady Alianna if she's present), Ser Jorah and Loreia.

Once the tent is clear, Daveth resumes. "
Pardon me for my secrecy, but, with the best will in the world, the fewer ears that hear this, the fewer tongues there are to wag about it afterwards, and I place no limits on what the knight is willing to do to uncover and dispose of any threats he becomes aware of. So let me be absolutely clear on this: if *any* of you speak of this outside this tent"
giving special attention to Loreia and Garret "
you will be placing my life in extreme danger.

"
Therefore, what must be done must be done in the utmost secrecy. I have attempted to uncover the knight's schemes during this tournament. Unfortunately, while I have uncovered enough to be sure that he regularly engages in some kind of nefarious behaviour, I have been unable to uncover anything of significance in enough detail to be useful. To be frank, he is experienced in moving unseen, and I do not have the ability to uncover him. Yet."

Even now, amongst those I can trust absolutely, I still rely on half-truths. But if any of their tongues are loosened and the wrong ear hears, at least there's a chance I may be underestimated. A slim one.

"
The only good news I can give you on this matter is that such a man is so crooked that every time we cross paths, he will give me a new opportunity to uncover wrongdoing, and each time I will be better able to do so. And he has to succeed in remaining hidden every time, while I only have to expose him once. And so long as I live, I will neither forgive him nor forget Joren.

"
I understand that this is not what you want to hear. Believe me that it is not what I want to say. But the *only* way for that man to meet justice without the blowback destroying our house and multiplying the tragedy is to publicly expose his perfidiousness in a way that none can deny. And that requires that I face down a master on his own turf and emerge victorious. And that will not be swift.

"
But one day. One day. That man will have his day in court, he will fall back on a trial by combat, and then, looking across the field at his opponent, he will see a mystery knight with the insignia of the Knight of Twin Peaks, and he will *know* who it was who brought him down, and why."
and for the first time this meeting, Daveth allows himself a smile.

Foolish to reveal so much. They are now all security risks.

They need hope. With this, they should have some. Now I just wish I did.

[url=Have hope, have faith, have patience - Bearding the Lion - Persuade][/url]: 4d6 17
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:22 pm

[OOC: Daveth passes the check requested via PM and rolls well for his speech...]

The room empties, Daveth already displaying the leadership qualities that have won his father other.

Daveth and Lord Coldbrook could not be more different, yet when their eyes lock Daveth indeed sees the common burning desire for vengeance. The need for vengeance.

"
Never Falter in this my son, my heir."
The key words, simply slipped in. Lord Coldbrook is not a man for ceremony.

"
I am glad you remember Joren. He had the best qualities of both of you."
He looks to Daveth and Garret, his phrasing awkward, somewhere between an insult and a compliment.

"
The North remembers Daveth, see to it that that vermin remembers in his last moments."

"
Even now, I could pick up my warhammer and march in to his tent and dash his brains out."

"
I want that rat humiliated, all his schemes laid bare, his ill-gained reputation shredded. Only then can he perish."

"
My warhammer is useless for such an endeavour, at least until its final stages. At that point will shall have a whole regiment of worthy sons of the North ready to deliver justice. Some poetry if you should ensnare him and Garret deliver the Old God's justice with his sword arm."

He snorts at the idea - the idea appeals to him, but he'll take his retribution however it's served up to him.

"
The whole family saw it before your father could - you are the right man to deliver this vengeance. My warhammer won us our station, our home, but House Coldbrook shall need a new kind of leadership after I am gone."

"
We will Never Falter in pursuit of our vengeance."

Lord Coldbrook is not a man for warm embraces, but instead offers Daveth a military salute of the kind he normally reserves for Ser Jorah's triumph's and Loreia's resolute watchfulness.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:09 pm

Daveth returns the salute. "
Thank you, father."
and for the first time, he means it not simply as a reminder, but genuinely heartfelt.

(/scene from me, I think.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:50 am

The sudden change in conversation blindsided Jorah. 'Wait, there were plans to try to extract revenge from Ser Theomore.'

They had shook his hand and were supposed to be trying to make things better between their houses. Here they were planning to be underhanded. What was this?

He wanted to say something, but the words were having difficulty coming out. Too much was conflicting inside him. It was one thing to play the game, but this was just about vengeance for something that had been an accident. Ser Jorah was rocked by this revelation of what had been going on without his knowledge. He wanted tom say a thousand things, but propriety kept his mouth from opening. Instead, he merely asked a simple question.

“Is this truly what you want to do?”

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:17 pm

Daveth turns to Ser Jorah, not entirely surprised. "
Yes."
he says, simply. "
Even if he had never killed Joren, if I knew what I do now about his activities, I would still do everything I could to expose him, purely from my sense of humanity. I just would never have thought to look.

"
And this is the *right* way to do so. No back-ally justice, no knives in the back. Rather, an exposure to the public eye of whichever grand crime he's up to at that point, and ensuring that justice prevails. We shall prevail by dragging him into the light, rather than by ourselves descending into shadow."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:28 pm

Jorah looked Daveth in the eye, the relief and joy he had felt a moment ago when they had successfully confirmed Daveth as heir had evaporated entirely. He struggled with his emotions, but he could see that all else present were intent on this course. They had kept him out of this and perhaps for good reason, but that did not mean he had to like it and certainly this was supposed to be beneath them to be attacking their ally.

He breathed in deeply, his face like stone.

"
May I be excused my Lord, there are duties that I must attend to regarding our troops."

ooc
Jorah's disposition towards Daveth drops from friendly to indifferent at the moment

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down