Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Epilogue] My Lady's Keeper (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[Epilogue] My Lady's Keeper (Closed) Empty [Epilogue] My Lady's Keeper (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:50 am

Amidst wedding planning and preparation, Corrine sets aside time to find Kevan, to discuss his new role in House Marsten. She finds him just returning to the Marsten pavilion, and she scampers up to him with a broad smile;

"
Kevan! Good day to you. Might you have a few minutes to talk?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[Epilogue] My Lady's Keeper (Closed) Empty Re: [Epilogue] My Lady's Keeper (Closed)

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:29 pm

"
Lady Marsten. Sure, I am at your service. How are the wedding preparations going? I am not unhappy that Lord Blackwood wished for smaller festivities for my own wedding seeing how much time and effort you are putting in these preparations!"

After the official part of the Tourney was over, Kevan had found a found a bit more free time on his schedule, which he was mainly spending with the Marsten men-at-arms and present guards from their bannerhouses. With the upcoming campaign, he deemed it necessary to get to know them better...

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

[Epilogue] My Lady's Keeper (Closed) Empty Re: [Epilogue] My Lady's Keeper (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:37 pm

"
They are going well. Most of my concern seems to be around what is best to wear, though I am sure that is of little interest to yourself. To be honest, it is starting to fristrate me too. Come to my tent and we will talk."

She leads Kevan into her tent, leaving the flap tied open, and offers Kevan a seat.

"
I wanted to talk about your role as Keeper of the Gate. I thought we ought to ensure we are clear about it before you begin, and give you the opportunity to ask me any questions you might have."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:34 pm

The two sit down inside the tent
"
I'd appreciate that. I had some time to think about the position since you offered it to me a couple of days ago. As I said back then, I would be honored to serve you in that position and I feel that I am up to the task. We have, however, a few things to define. First, what exactly are the duties and tasks comin' with it? Traditionally, the keeper of the gate was responsible to protect House Marsten from the clans and other threats and served as defacto Commander of our men-at-arms. Is my understanding correct?"

He pauses shortly before continuing: "
This brings us directly to the next topic, one of the most important: The line of command. Obviously, I would want to include all members of your council board on deciding our approach in military operations like the planned campaign, but it is necessary for me to understand my decision making power.
On the war table, discussions about strategy are encouraged and could help us to find the best approach, but on a tactical level, once we are out on the field in the heat of the battle I need to have full authority to issue commands to all our troops. If quarrels about the line of command arise during an attack, this will get our men killed!"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:55 pm

"
Absolutely. Those are highly pertinent questions, which I hope to answer. You would, as you say, be responsible for House Marsten's defences, and command of our men-at-arms. In the field, you will be the highest point in the chain of command. In council matters, away from the field of battle, you will defer to my husband, and I would like you to co-ordinate with Lord Kriegar when possible."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Kevan breaks into a relieved smile at Corrine's answer.
"
Great! That is what I hoped for. A clear command structure when in the field and the council as a sounding board with you and Lord Benedict as the ultimate decision makers."

Not looking forward to the discussions with Lord Sourpuss Kriegar but I guess it is necessary to get a better relationship with him...

"
When we are back home, I plan to start preparations for our campaign. We need to send additional scouts into the mountains to find out more about our enemy's positions. I also plan to increase the protection for our smallfolk and.."
he stopps himself. "
I am sorry Mylady, this has not to be discussed now, we have plenty of time back home and maybe we should include your husband as well"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 pm

"
Of course. I hope to have more detailed discussions when we get home, but I am happy to hear your thoughts now, if you'd like to share them. I'd like to know what you think of Yoren Longshore imploring us to try to seek peace with the clans first. I am skeptical, particularly after we found he was being less than honest with us."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:03 pm

"
Without going into too much detail, there are three areas i'd like to focus on first: number one - information: We need detailed scouting reports: Have the clans made an alliance? How are they equipped? Where is their base of operstions etc. Number two"
he holds up a second finger "
Protection of the homesteads until the campaign. I want to decrease our reaction time to get men-at-arms to the location of attack as quick as possible and I think about providing our farmers and shepards with means to better protect themselves. The final point revolves around the current organisation: I want to ensure that the most able men are leading our squads and not the ones serving the longest."

He sighs at the mention of Yoren.
"
Honestly I dont know what to think about him. I was dealing with these clansmen for all my life as did you and this ironman who has never dealt with them tries to lecture us who to deal with them. That is arrogant..and naive. If it was that easy to deal with these clans there wouldnt be quarrels with them since anyone can remember. No, I am not happy about it, but there is only one way to deal with these clients..."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:35 pm

"
I quite agree. I think he will find quickly and painfully that the clans are not the fluffy bunnies he seems to think they are,"
Corrine nods. "
I am glad you feel similarly. I have told him that at the first sign of trouble or insubordination, he and his men will be ejected from our lands. I think your priorities are sound. I am sure Ben will agree. Scouting first, definitely. No point in charging in without knowing exactly what we are up against. And while I do prefer peaceful solutions, we must be ready, willing, and able to crush the clans utterly. It would be well if all could co-exist in harmony, but one cannot afford to be so idealistic."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:34 am

"
I don't think Yoren is planning anything improper. He is on Marsten lands on invitation, if the Lords of the Riverlands hear that the Longshores are making trouble unprovoked there will be quite a few Houses ready to drive these ironborn back into the sea... Nevertheless, we should make sure that the most important positions on the battlefield are covered by Marsten men, or Ser Baelon's unit he promised."

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:13 pm

"
I quite agree. I don't want the Ironborn having too much control. Yourself at Baelon at the helm is well, though I have promised the vanguard to House Coldbrook, and I need Lord Kriegar to have a prominent position to keep him happy."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:58 pm

"
I am quite happy that the Coldbrook's offered to act as the vanguard. From what I heard, their soldiers are very well trained and experienced. Also, I am sure we will find a solution for the Kriegar soldiers"

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:58 pm

"
I am sure we will find the best strategy to achieve our goals. But we had best wait until after the scouting to go into more detail. I should let you get back to what you were doing."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:47 pm

"
Thank you mylady, for your trust"
, he bows formally before leaving the tent.

[Scene?]

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:56 pm

"
And thank you for your loyalty,"
Corrine replies warmly, standing to see him out.

[/scene]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down