Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Battle of Boneway Plain

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Battle of Boneway Plain Empty The Battle of Boneway Plain

Post by Kevan Lyras Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:07 pm

Standing between his men, Kevan could see, what seemed like an ocean of tents spanning the whole plain. The prince had called the banners and the realms had answered. Banners in all colors were flying throughout the whole camp. Ser Kevan had brought men from the two vassals of House Marsten. The trusty Golden Arrows, who served his brother and had proven their mettle in various battles, from the campaign against the clans throughout the the peacekeeping in battle vally were balanced by the Red Swords - the elite guard of House Kriegar. Originally, he had planned to bring Lyras men only, but Ser Benedict had pointed out that this could be seen as an affront to Lord Kriegar. Politics as always...
Kevan was standing near the siege weapons, where his men had made their camp. He would have loved to take an important command position during the upcoming battle, but he knew that neither his nor his house's position was high enough to warrant such an opportunity and so he looked forward to the role of a subcommander. Maybe I can command one flank during the storm of the castle
He was lost in thought, when one of his men, Lachlan, pointed out a small dust cloud coming from the castle with his stunted hand. "
Ser Kevan, I think there is somebody paying us a visit!"

He turned around and saw immediately, what Lachlan meant. "
Riders! They are coming for the catapults and scorpions! Call the men, we have to fight earlier than we thought! Oh and send a message to the command tent of the Prince. LYRAS AND KRIEGAR, GET READY!"

[url=Boneway - Initiative][/url]: 5d6k4 16

[url=Muster Troops (Wyl - spend 1 glory)][/url]: 6d6k4 17
[Reader confirmed that we start 300y apart, so I think we do not need a map, at least not until the units are closer]

Enemy stats:
Ser Walter Wyl, Warfare 3, 1B commander. 1 Attached champion
Veteran Cavalry
Health: 12 /12
CD: 6
AR: 5
Damage: 8
Move 6 (24)

Trained Cavalry
Health: 12/12
CD: 5
AR: 5
Damage: 8
Move 6 (24)

My units:
(starting with the archers behind the personal guard, Kevan attached to the PG)
Red Swords - Veteran Personal Guard (Athletics 3 Endurance 4, Fighting 4, Discipline 0)
Golden Arrows - Veteran Archers, Agility 4, Awareness 2, Marksmanship 5 (Discipline 6, AR 2, CD 7, Damage 1/6, Health 6)

Volunteer - please roll initiative + state, which unit includes Ser Walter

Last edited by 157 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

The Battle of Boneway Plain Empty Re: The Battle of Boneway Plain

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:01 am

Ser Walter Wyl, eager to defend the home he stands to inherit and prove his worth as a battle commander, leads a force of 40 riders. Half are under his direct command and half accompanied by his trusted friend and right-hand man, Ser Antony Baldrick.

[OOC: The map will probably be needed this round, so I did it up anyway - basic plain with no relevant features, starting 300 yards apart - I figure the other dimension didn't need to be too big. Placement based on your description. For the opposing commander &
hero, I am assuming Knight of Quality stats except for the commander's Warfare &
Command]

Code:

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32| 33|
-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
A| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
-|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
B| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 1 |
C| G | R | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 2 |
D| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
E| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
G:
Golden Arrows R:
Red Swords/Ser Kevan Lyras 1:
V.
Cavalry/Ser Walter Wyl 2:
T.
Cavalry/Ser Antony Baldrick

[url=BBP - R1 Initiative][/url]: 3d6 9
Commander: Ser Walter Wyl (12/12)
Veteran Cavalry (10) – Agility 3, Animal Handling 3, Fighting 5. Upgraded Weapons. Sand steeds.
Sand Steeds: Athletics 4, Endurance 4
Discipline: 0
CD: 6;
AR 5
Move: 6 (Sprint 24)

Hero: Ser Antony Baldrick (12/12)
Trained Cavalry (Cool – Animal Handling 3, Fighting 4. Upgraded Weapons. Coursers.
Coursers: Athletics 4, Endurance 4
Discipline: 0
CD: 5;
AR 5

Last edited by 111 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:55 pm

[I think we should change the map so that one of the cavalry units is directly opposite to the Red Swords. I realize that I cannot fully protect the archers from any direct charges, but at least one of the units should have to change directions to hit them or deal with the PG first]

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:00 pm

[given that it will take at least two actions to get to them (unless you move the archers into charge range yourself), it is a moot point - they can separate in the first move... but sure. I'll move the 2nd unit up]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:14 pm

Kevan stood centrally between his men, his sword drawn. With the limited number of men available, there was a real chance he had to swing his weapon as well.
"
Lyras men! Ready your bows and let loose once they come into range!"

Order: Golden Arrows ready an attack on the first enemy unit coming into range.
[url=Orders (Golden Arrows)][/url]: 5d6k4 12

Red Swords
Health: 12 / 12
CD: 4
AR: 6
Damage: 4

Golden Arrows
Health: 6 / 6
CD: 7
AR: 2
Damage: 1/6

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Ser Wyl: Round 1 - Order 1

"
Brave Ser Antony, go to the south - but mind their archers. I'll to the north and we can crush them between us."

[OOC]
Order Unit 2 (Trained Cavalry) - Move (sprint) to E26
4d6k3 vs. TN 0 cannot fail.

Next:
Ser Kevan: Round 1 - Order 2

Code:

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32| 33|
B| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 1 |
C| G | R | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
E| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 2 | | | | | | | |
G:
Golden Arrows R:
V.
T.

Veteran Cavalry (10) – Agility 3, Animal Handling 3, Fighting 5. Upgraded Weapons. Sand steeds.
Discipline: 0 [Current TN: 0]
AR 5

Trained Cavalry (Cool – Animal Handling 3, Fighting 4. Upgraded Weapons. Coursers.
Discipline: 0 [Current TN: 3]
AR 5
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:43 pm

"
Kriegar men! Swords out and shields up and hit at every enemy coming near you!"

Order: Red Arrows ready an attack on the first enemy unit coming into range
Discipline 0

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:48 pm

Ser Wyl: Round 1 - Order 2

"
Forward!"

[OOC]
Order Unit 1 (Veteran Cavalry) - Move (sprint) to A26

Next:
Ser Kevan: Round 1 - Order 3

Code:

A| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | 1 | | | | | | | |
B| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
G:
Golden Arrows R:
V.
T.

AR 5

AR 5
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:57 pm

[OOC: Ehm, I could not find anything in the book - Can I somehow delay my next order? Or, if that is not possible, take no action whatsoever?]

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:05 pm

Kevan Lyras wrote:[OOC: Ehm, I could not find anything in the book - Can I somehow delay my next order? Or, if that is not possible, take no action whatsoever?]

[OOC: not covered by the core rules but seems reasonable. If it's problematic later with people stalling I can review it later]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:11 pm

[Which part? Delayng an order or dropping it for good? Either way I am doing this, as it is the best option. I am defending an attack here and with the enemy not attacking could "
wait it out"
until reinforcement arrives]

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Kevan Lyras wrote:[Which part? Delayng an order or dropping it for good? Either way I am doing this, as it is the best option. I am defending an attack here and with the enemy not attacking could "
wait it out"
until reinforcement arrives]

[OOC: indeed, in this case the Dornishmen are on the attack. I meant passing - you'll have one order again on your next turn, not two. Apologies for ambiguity]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:30 pm

[OOC: Delaying orders would give a huge advantage whenever one commander has both higher initiative and more orders - which is the typical case. There becomes no reason for the first commander to do anything but ready then delay until the opponent is in range... the readied attacks go off, then the remainder of the unused attacks crush the unit(s) that moved up. Unless the first attack can defeat a unit in one attack, the likelihood of attacking first being profitable is close to 0.

I have no problem with 'passing' an order - in this case it's actually exactly the same as if you repeat the 'ready' command - if it fails, the 'standing orders' of the ready kick in... which is to ready again.

Seeing Reader's clarification, I will move on... I must say, I am enjoying the positioning and build up - it's like the opening of a chess game between skilled players. Priming, positioning...]

Ser Wyl: Round 1 - Order 3

"
Ser Antony! We shall attack together!"

[OOC]
Order Unit 2 (Trained Cavalry) - Ready: When Unit 1 initiates an attack or charge, charge the same target
4d6k3 vs. TN 3 cannot fail.

Next:
Ser Kevan: Round 1 - Order 4

Code:

G:
Golden Arrows R:
V.
T.

AR 5

Discipline: 0 [Current TN: 6]
AR 5
Move: 6 (Sprint 24)[/quote]]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:33 pm

[OOC: Initial ruling is "
passing"
, not delaying. Agree with Baelon's concerns - this will be monitored!]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:01 pm

[OOC: Per [url=this discussion][/url], the readied action in Ser Walter Wyl R1 - Order 3 is changed to:
"
Immediately after Unit 1 attacks or charges, attack or charge the same target"
]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:16 pm

As per the discussion: Last order in round 1 used to change standing order of the Red Sword to: Intercept the unit, which is not attacked by the arrows, should they attack at the sametime, otherwise attack the first unit coming into range

Initiative for Round 2: [url=Boneway - Initiative R2][/url]: 5d6k4 13 - If I win initiative, I let you go first as discussed OOC, if I lose I will "
pass"
on my first order

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:07 am

[url=BBP R2 Init][/url]: 3d6 14
[OOC: Ser Wyl wins (so close!) and elects for Kevan to go first. Kevan passes.]

Ser Walter Wyl - R2 - Order 1

Ser Walter addresses his men - softly.
"
Listen up - we'll be the van for Ser Antony, so I expect those northern bastards will hit us with everything they've got. Keep your shields up, and first round's on me tonight."

Order:
Unit 1 Defends. +1D for having shields.
[url=R2 - O1: Defend][/url]: 4d6 13
Unit 1 has CD 13 for one round.

Next:
Ser Kevan: Round 1 - Order 2

Code:

G:
Golden Arrows R:
V.
T.

CD: 6 [13 until R3-O1];
AR 5

AR 5
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:41 pm

As Kevan realizes that the enemy is still in preparation of their attack, he quickly changes his mind having his men take a more defensive stance. "
Get your shields up men! They will come in hard!"

Order 2 Round 2:
[url=Red Swords Defend][/url]: 3d6 12 ->
CD12
Edit: This cancles the PG's readied order, obviously

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:42 pm

[OOC: I had a feeling you were going to do that... still, I'll not change my plan. It was to charge the Red Swords all along. If only the rolls had been in the other order.]

Ser Walter Wyl - R2 - Order 2

"
Charge!"

Order:
Unit 1 Charges the Red Swords
4d6k3 vs. TN 3 cannot fail.
[url=Charge Red Swords (end B2)][/url]: 5d6k4 16 (Pending Golden Arrows readied attack, but even disorganizing Unit 1 won't change the DoS)
16 vs CD 12, 1 DoS 10 - 6AR = 4 Damage;
Ser Kevan takes 1 Damage (ignores AR)

Unit 2's Readied Action triggers: Unit 2 Charges the Red Swords
[url=Charge Red Swords (end D2)][/url]: 5d6k4 19
19 vs CD 12, 2 DoS 20 - 6AR = 14 Damage, Ser Kevan takes 1 Damage (ignores AR)
Red Swords are Disorganized (-1D on all tests, +3 Order TN);
Ser Kevan takes 2 points of Damage (ignores AR)

Next:
Ser Kevan: Round 1 - Order 3

Code:

B| | 1 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
D| | 2 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
G:
Golden Arrows R:
V.
T.

CD: 6 [13 until R3-O1];
AR 5

AR 5
Move: 6 (Sprint 24)[/quote]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:08 pm

[I actually figured that out only at the very last moment when I finally realized that a 3DoS charge is enough to put them out for good due to the high damage per DoS in a charge. :? BtW: Even if the rolls were in the other order it would have made little difference, as I could have rallied the swords in between the two charges due to the 'leader of man' ability, which requires no action to use]

I will make the rolls once I am not just on a mobile.]

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:42 pm

[OOC: Nice, didn't know you had that - it's a nice ability. Still, they would be hurt again after the reformation, so it would take less to disorg them again - and the penalties just keep stacking up. I'm looking forward to seeing how all this turns out - I think it's going to be a close one either way.]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:02 pm

The Golden Arrows raise their bows as the enemy comes into range and lets loose a volley of arrows on the attacking commander and his men, but they cannot break the veteran's attack. It is their colleagues in front of them that have to endure the impact of 40 heavy armed riders crashing in on them. The attack is brutal and without Kevan screaming orders and fighting side by side with his men, they would have probably loosened their lines. But the Red Swords stand their ground and do not retreat one step. This gives the Golden Arrows the chance to let another swarm of arrows fly, this time aimed at the other cavalry.

Actions:
Leader of men: Organize Red Swords
[url=GA readied attack][/url]: 5d6 21
[url=Spend DP for bonus dice on readied attack (need 5 or 6 for 3DoS)][/url]: 1d6 1 ... ah, would have been too easy to end this so quickly
..>
vs 13= 2 DoS*6=12-5AR ->
Walter's men at 5/12

[url=R2O3 - Golden Arrows][/url]: 5d6k4 17
[url=GA attack Baldrick's cavalry][/url]: 5d6 12: 2DoS ->
Baldrick's men at 5/12

Kevan: 8/12
Red Swords: 12/12, Disorganized 1
Golden Arrows: 6/6
Walter's men: 5/12
Baldrick's men: 5/12

Ah, orokos is not with me today

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:31 pm

Ser Walter Wyl - R2 - Order 3

"
Ser Antony! The archers, then some distance!"

Ser Antony's cavalry launch their coursers into the ranks of the Lyras archers. Lances find targets, and bows and bones alike splinter under the steel-shod hooves of the Dornish cavalry... then the well-trained force wheels about, putting some distance between themselves and their foes... prepared to charge again.

Order:
Unit 2 Performs a Fighting Withdrawal, attacking the Golden Arrows then moving to C5
[url=Fighting Withdrawal vs. Golden Arrows][/url]: 5d6k4 15
15 vs CD 7, 2 DoS;
16 - 2AR = 14 Damage;
Golden Arrows are Destroyed.

Next:
Ser Kevan: Round 1 - Order 4

Code:

B| | 1 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
C| | R | | | 2 | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
G:
Golden Arrows R:
V.
T.

Commander: Ser Walter Wyl (11/12)
CD: 6 [13 until Wyl R3-O1];
AR 5
Health: 5/12

Hero: Ser Antony Baldrick (11/12)
AR 5
Health: 5/12
Move: 6 (Sprint 24)[/quote]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:24 pm

The Golden Arrows raise their bows as the enemy comes into range and lets loose a volley of arrows on the attacking commander and his men. While they cannot break the veteran's attack, they at least manage to disorganize the attackers leading them to lose their order when they charge into the waiting Red Swords. The veteran fighter have to endure the impact of 20 heavy armed riders crashing in on them. The attack is brutal and without Kevan screaming orders and fighting side by side with his men, they would have probably loosened their lines. But the Red Swords stand their ground and do not retreat one step.
However, the Wyl forces have timed their attack perfectly. Mere moments, after the Red Swords repell the attack from the first group, Ser Baldrick charges at them with a second group of riders, finally breaking the spirit of the defenders. They hold for a short moment before they break their lines and retreat back to their camp in chaos, despite Kevan's efforts to keep them in line.
The Golden Arrows hold out a little longer. Being protected from the first attack by their peers, they get the opportunity to shoot a second volley of arrows, thanks to the efforts of the personal guard surrounding Ser Kevan.
The second attack kills many of the horses of Ser Walter's men, sending them into chaos as they flee back to the castle. It is Ser Baldrick, the young heir's friend and right hand that saves the day for the Dornish as he quickly organizes his riders. They turn around and ride down the brave archers, leaving not enough of them standing to continue the fight.
The impromptu defending force is defeated and the Targaryen siege forces lay in front of them, unprotected...

OOC: In line with the discussions here, I spend the DP as described.

Overall outcome:
Red Swords: Routed
Golden Arrows: Destroyed
The Wyl sally is victorious and the Targaryen forces lose valuable siege weapons

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Unit progression
[url=Red Swords (routed)][/url]: 1d6 5 -->
intact Laughing
[url=Golden Arrows (destroyed)][/url]: 1d6 4 -->
-2 training ->
green

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down