Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Non-game Chat Thread

+17
Daveth Coldbrook
Dyana Marsten
Benedict Marsten
Loreia
Jon Cobb
Ser Jorah Holt
Gwyneth Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson
Theomore Tullison
Lady Corrine Marsten
Septon Arlyn
Yoren longshore
Kevan Lyras
Athelstan
Reader
Dunstan Tullison
21 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

General Non-game Chat Thread - Page 38 Empty Re: General OOC Chatter Thread

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:17 pm

I agree with Baelon.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Baelon wrote:But there I go waxing philosophic again.
You do, I didn't mean it as a deep philosophical review of Martin's work.

Read it more as: "
shit happens a lot in these books doesn't it"

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Also, come to the wedding party, squares! There's Glory for the getting!
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:24 pm

Your event needs some clarifications..because I see a status roll, and a knowledge roll, with no clarifications as to how these supporting abilities are supposed to be applied.

Remember that events ought to be written like computer code, be precise or your output will be erroneous.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:29 pm

Indeed, I don't know that to roll. For instance:

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:*Status roll (TN12) to accompany speeches
+1 for appropriate Knowledge (how well do you know them?), Persuasion (Charm - it can go a long way!), or Deception (do you want to subtly manipulate them?).
Winner receives +1 Glory.
I can tell I need to roll Status at TN12. How does appropriate knowledge comes in? I also roll for that, and beating 12 gives me a +1? Or is it something else? I need to choose between Knowledge, Persuasion or Deception, or can I add all 3 for +3? If I fail one can I retry with another?

Not trying to be harsh, we just need to know what to do!

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:34 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:Your event needs some clarifications..because I see a status roll, and a knowledge roll, with no clarifications as to how these supporting abilities are supposed to be applied.

Remember that events ought to be written like computer code, be precise or your output will be erroneous.

I don't understand what you mean. If using a supporting skill, roll it with TN 12, and on a success, it gives +1 to the main roll.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:40 pm

Dyana Marsten wrote:Indeed, I don't know that to roll. For instance:

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:*Status roll (TN12) to accompany speeches
+1 for appropriate Knowledge (how well do you know them?), Persuasion (Charm - it can go a long way!), or Deception (do you want to subtly manipulate them?).
Winner receives +1 Glory.
I can tell I need to roll Status at TN12. How does appropriate knowledge comes in? I also roll for that, and beating 12 gives me a +1? Or is it something else? I need to choose between Knowledge, Persuasion or Deception, or can I add all 3 for +3? If I fail one can I retry with another?

Not trying to be harsh, we just need to know what to do!

No problem! It is my first time writing an event. I'll reword it to (hopefully) make it clearer.

I'm going to say you can only pick one supporting roll, and you can't try another if you fail.

Does that sound ok?
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:43 pm

It does. The main problem was that it was not clear that adding the supporting +1 was another TN12 check. It makes sense, and is what I guessed, but it wasn't clear. The rest is easier to imagine.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:47 pm

Dyana Marsten wrote:It does. The main problem was that it was not clear that adding the supporting +1 was another TN12 check. It makes sense, and is what I guessed, but it wasn't clear. The rest is easier to imagine.

Sorry about that. I've added that in.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Dyana Marsten wrote:
Baelon wrote:But there I go waxing philosophic again.
You do, I didn't mean it as a deep philosophical review of Martin's work.
Apologies! I would blame it on going back and forth between doing actual philosophy (this thesis will be the death of me, I swear) and posting here.... except that I know for a fact that for me studying philosophy is an attempt to make a career out of a bad habit rather than developing a bad habit as a result of my planned career. Rolling Eyes

Dyana Marsten wrote:Read it more as: "
shit happens a lot in these books doesn't it"
Well that is certainly true! Very Happy

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:Winner raises the disposition of gift recipients by one step.
I'm not really feeling to happy about my disposition being the subject of an event prize, particularly without foreknowledge... but I'm willing to roll with it. It make sense in the context, but dispositions can be powerful things.

A few questions:

• "
    Knowledge +1B roll (TN12)"
    - Does that mean everyone gets an additional +1B on this test? Also, and are there any bonuses for actually knowing us (or penalties for not)? I mean, it would seem odd for a random scholar who has never laid eyes on Baelon to have a really high roll but someone who has been around Baelon for a long time but has no clue about the mating habits of Zorses would not.[/*Ⓜ1vip96h0]
  • Are the four of us excluded? I mean, we obviously aren't going to be giving ourselves gifts, but we could be giving each other gifts.[/*Ⓜ1vip96h0]
  • Are assists permitted? Say, if a gift were presented as being from an entire house rather than just one individual.[/*Ⓜ1vip96h0]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:42 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:Well, someone got to fuck up too.....

The most entertaining sort of roleplay is if someone intentionally sets up their character to fuck up and pulls it off with gusto.
Ser Jorah Holt wrote:I think Jorah seems to be on that path with Daveth
Oh, yeah. With what you said to Ser Theomore at the Sept, you basically just signed my death warrant. Maybe not immediately, but pretty much inevitably.

Warned you! Laughing
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:55 pm

Actually, I think goodman Fielder is the one that will give you away.....and Daveth is much too paranoid about Theomore.

However, he almost got a certain other person put in the stockade and given lashes...I am not sure if that's the smartest thing you can do to someone that among other things:
1. Was the guy that actually set up Benjen to rape Brenna (even if Theomore did the groundwork and knew what was going to happen).
2. Set fire to the Frey camp (for shits and giggles)
3. Poisoned Ser Meddrick with stuff that had a good chance of killing him...just to earn money on a bet.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:14 pm

You're assuming Daveth knows about *any* of that. I'm not saying I definitely don't, but it's not like Daveth has a top-notch spy network or anything.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:19 pm

That's right. Leave top-notch spy networks to the professionals. Very Happy
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:02 am

Daveth Coldbrook wrote:You're assuming Daveth knows about *any* of that. I'm not saying I definitely don't, but it's not like Daveth has a top-notch spy network or anything.

Nah, but this is the peanut gallery after all. Jorah told Theomore that there's still some serious resentment in the Coldbrook camp, which is neither unexpected or unprepared for. That's most of the IC reason he didn't partake in the melee. The rest is that he probably wouldn't make it to the final, and then there wouldn't be much point to risk injuries to try it.

Either way, what the dynamic duo will do if/when they get alerted to Daveth's schemes...I don't know.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:45 am

I'd like to clarify that neither Addam's out-loud accusation nor Dyana's out-loud response were arranged between me and Reader. The idea was that someone noticed the horse, and rumor spread. What developed after was fine roleplay. And I'm fucked, I think.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:52 am

Baelon wrote:
Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:Winner raises the disposition of gift recipients by one step.
I'm not really feeling to happy about my disposition being the subject of an event prize, particularly without foreknowledge... but I'm willing to roll with it. It make sense in the context, but dispositions can be powerful things.

A few questions:

• "
    Knowledge +1B roll (TN12)"
    - Does that mean everyone gets an additional +1B on this test? Also, and are there any bonuses for actually knowing us (or penalties for not)? I mean, it would seem odd for a random scholar who has never laid eyes on Baelon to have a really high roll but someone who has been around Baelon for a long time but has no clue about the mating habits of Zorses would not.[/*Ⓜ3pnwdugv]
  • Are the four of us excluded? I mean, we obviously aren't going to be giving ourselves gifts, but we could be giving each other gifts.[/*Ⓜ3pnwdugv]
  • Are assists permitted? Say, if a gift were presented as being from an entire house rather than just one individual.[/*Ⓜ3pnwdugv]

Ok, sorry. I'll change it to Glory.

The +1B was at Reader's suggestion that it be for a lesser-used skill, but I can remove it if that would be better.

We 4 can still give eachother gifts and make speeches, we just can't give ourselves gifts (though personal gift exchange can still happen between the newlyweds in a non-mechanical way, like Ben giving Corrine a bow).

Assists are allowed.

I am honestly feeling like I shouldn't have bothered trying to make an event. Sad
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:01 am

Hey this is how you learn. How we ALL learn. Smile

Is Gwyn participating in this, or is she one of the judges? Smile

Will be posting in it, but wasn't sure what role to take.
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:03 am

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:At Tarly's accusation, Corrine starts to turn her horse, his tone riling her. Dyana shouting back leads her closer, eager to support her cousin.

"
I advise you back off, Tarly,"
she challenges haughtily, Isobel's cold steel coming through her bearing. "
You were bested fairly. Your only shame is being such a poor loser. Now, leave my cousin alone."
The Ser Angryman is Bryndon Hightower, not Addam Tarly.

I'll be following right behind Daveth in that wedding thread.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:04 am

Dyana Marsten wrote:I'd like to clarify that neither Addam's out-loud accusation nor Dyana's out-loud response were arranged between me and Reader. The idea was that someone noticed the horse, and rumor spread. What developed after was fine roleplay. And I'm fucked, I think.

What's the worst that can happen? If he challenges you to duel, he is recognizing your right to participate in the martial arena. If just attacks you without a challenge, he is doubly destroying his own reputation and no one would object to you having some assistance in giving him a much deserved beat-down. If he tries to attack your reputation, he just spreads your reputation as being a (successful) warrior, which is what you are.

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:Ok, sorry. I'll change it to Glory.
No, I'm ok with it - I'd just like to be asked first next time. It fits the event well.

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:The +1B was at Reader's suggestion that it be for a lesser-used skill, but I can remove it if that would be better.
No, I was just asking for clarification, I don't have a problem with it.

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:We 4 can still give eachother gifts and make speeches, we just can't give ourselves gifts (though personal gift exchange can still happen between the newlyweds in a non-mechanical way, like Ben giving Corrine a bow).
That's what I was figuring, just wanted to be clear.

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:Assists are allowed.
Good to know.

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:I am honestly feeling like I shouldn't have bothered trying to make an event. Sad
Nah, the only way to learn is to try. I tried to make one for the last game (which I think was the seed for the Champions' Feast event here) and it's not easy. My event was a huge mess of rolls - potentially up to six or seven persuasion/deception checks per person, if I remember correctly. Don't give up too easily!
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:10 am

I've adjusted it to try and make it better. I'm really sorry that I didn't ask. I'be placed what I think are appropriate conditions on the +1Bs, which address your concerns, and fisposition will now be voluntary.

Gwyn, we are participants, though only with eachother (i.e. In two pairs). We can't just give ourselves gifts. The Winner will be who gets the highest roll, though an effort to fit the rp to the roll is expected and encouraged.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:11 am

To help give an example, Ben &
Corrine will present a gift to Gwyn &
Baelon. Working that out with Ben now.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:20 am

Loreia Merrgal wrote:
Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:At Tarly's accusation, Corrine starts to turn her horse, his tone riling her. Dyana shouting back leads her closer, eager to support her cousin.

"
I advise you back off, Tarly,"
she challenges haughtily, Isobel's cold steel coming through her bearing. "
You were bested fairly. Your only shame is being such a poor loser. Now, leave my cousin alone."
The Ser Angryman is Bryndon Hightower, not Addam Tarly.

I'll be following right behind Daveth in that wedding thread.

It's Ser Addam Tarly shouting at Dyana. Bryndon Hightower was just making a few jibes.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:43 am

Oh hey, you're right! Changed.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:48 am

So, could one roll twice if one isn't newlywed?
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

General Non-game Chat Thread - Page 38 Empty Re: General Non-game Chat Thread

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next