Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Investigating the investigators

3 posters

Go down

Investigating the investigators  Empty Investigating the investigators

Post by Darron Greyjoy Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:19 pm

After the meeting with Baelon, Darron had gained more insight into the events that surrounded Athelstans death but there were still a few leads to follow one of them included questioning Corrine Marsten. Darron composed a message asking if the lady and her husband would be available for a private meeting in one of the local tavern room's. Darron waited in the room with the door open wearing some casual clothes and a hand axe on his belt. He didn't expect trouble from the two but men loyal to House Longshore were close enough if something was to go amiss.
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Investigating the investigators  Empty Re: Investigating the investigators

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:31 pm

He was not kept waiting overly long.

Lady Marsten was ushered in by her husband, clad modestly and elegantly as ever in dark blue and black lambswool. She curtsied to Darron.

"Greetings, Master Darron. I understand you wished to speak with us?"

[Is that the right honorific for Darron? If not, I'l change it.]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:59 pm

Darron got off his seat and bowed to the couple.

"Lord and Lady Marsten a pleasure, thank you both for coming so quickly. Yes I indeed wished to speak with you. I have a few questions and wondered if you would allow me to record a account from you specifically Lady Marsten. Could I possibly interest either of you with some wine?

[I'm not actually sure but we can just roll with it for now.]
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:16 pm

"Wine would be nice, thank you. What would the subject of this recorded conversation be?" she asks, a little warily.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:35 pm

Darron poured wine for the three of them while talking.

"It would be in regards to Athelstan Pyke. I would like to record your view of the events that ultimately led to his death."

He finally places the wine in front of the two Marstens before taking a sip from his cup.
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:45 pm

The name stiffened Corrine's spine, a glut of painful memories stirred up anew. She maintained a calm, congenial tone, but speaking on that day was something she'd hoped to have left behind after the inquest.

"I see. Well, I will answer any pertinent questions to the best of my ability, but I was under the impression that the circumstances of his death had already been sufficiently detailed. Are you seeking information independently, or at your Lord's bidding?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:33 pm

"Thank you Lady Marsten I appreciate it. You are indeed correct, but I am performing my own independent investigation. While i'm certain the investigation was thorough certain details could have been missed or only recently come to light. I hope that my investigation puts a end to any and all questions that the Ironborn may ask about his death and the events that lead to it."

Darron shifts in his chair leaning back thinking about his next words.

"From what I have gathered so far this conversation isn't going to be the most pleasant for you Lady Marsten and I am truly sorry, it is part of the reason I have asked for Lord Marsten to join you."
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:40 pm

Ben place a hand upon his lady wife's. Fuck sakes. Even in the grave the bastard was still causing trouble for them. What is dead, may never die. Ben could not help but smile at his thoughts despite the grim topic before them.

Ben studies the Ironborn Inquisitor. Reading and writing were not common skills for Iron Islanders even some nobles. That he had this task meant he was more than proficient. Was he soft or had he sailed and reaved? Ben looked for telltale signs. The gait, ropes burns, crow's feet from gazing across a sea of reflected sunlight for hours on end.

Darron Awarenes: 3d6 12 Just getting a feel for Darron and his intentions.

Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:44 pm

"If it will put the matter to rest, then I will do my best to assist. What would you like to know?" Corrine asked, her thumb absently stroking the back of Ben's hand.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:51 am

Benedict Marsten wrote:Ben place a hand upon his lady wife's. Fuck sakes. Even in the grave the bastard was still causing trouble for them. What is dead, may never die. Ben could not help but smile at his thoughts despite the grim topic before them.

Ben studies the Ironborn Inquisitor. Reading and writing were not common skills for Iron Islanders even some nobles. That he had this task meant he was more than proficient. Was he soft or had he sailed and reaved? Ben looked for telltale signs. The gait, ropes burns, crow's feet from gazing across a sea of reflected sunlight for hours on end.

Darron Awarenes: 3d6 12 Just getting a feel for Darron and his intentions.

As Darron spoke further and moved about it was clear he was a fighter but the strong facial features and subtle charming demeanour spoke of a different side. Darron sounded genuine when he expressed interest in putting a end to the chapter of the former Ironborn.

[Hope that gives you a good enough idea of him.]

"How about we start from the beginning how did you come to know Athelstan?"
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:57 am

"We first met at the Riverrun tourney, three years ago. He approached me during the opening night banquet and struck up a conversation. He was a little over-familiar, considering our difference in rank, and I had only shortly before learned that he had fought and killed his brother, so I wasn't sure what to make of him, but he seemed personable enough."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:17 am

Darron begins taking his notes.

"I see, did you both meet at any other time at the Riverrun tourney?"
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:46 am

Her mind goes to Riverrun's godswood. That place which held both happy and dark memories.

"Yes. Two other times. He asked me to the godswood the night before his trial by combat, to make his intentions toward me known. I was rather... confused by it. Athelstan was, in hindsight, not suitable at all, but my foolish young mind saw him as someone who represented my ability to choose a suitor for myself, not just accept whomever my mother pushed toward me. So, I told him I'd consider his suit if he was exonerated of the kinslaying charge. We exchanged tokens, he a ring, I a scarf. I think I just got swept up in a silly romantic whim. My mother was pushing someone on me I did not want, so I suppose it was an act of naïve youthful rebellion," she shrugged.

Despite the calm and reporting tone, there was visible embarrassment in her expression.

"The second time was... deeply unpleasant. He had lost his trial by combat, and cut out his own eye."

Her hand tightened a little on her husbands, and her eyes seemed to be looking far away, reliving the memory in it's awful vividness.

"He was angry. He called me false, and other hurtful things, blaming me for his situation, outraged by my rejection. It was horrible. He left me, again in the Godswood, with a box, a gift he said. It contained his eye, wrapped in the scarf I'd given him. He had said he wanted me to always remember what I took from him. I left it there. It was grotesque and cruel. I still have nightmares about it sometimes. I've rarely been so afraid of a person as I was of him that night."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:35 pm

Darron puts the quill down while hearing of what Athelstan had done at the grove.

"Lady Marsten that is just a horrid and most awful thing that no fair lady should have done to them. The mind doesn't forget that sort of thing so easily and while their is nothing I can do to help with the memory I can offer to omit the box from my records so that no one else will know besides the three of us or others you have told.

"If that is it for Riverrun when was the next time you and him spoke or met?"
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:34 pm

Ben squeezes back. He knew the story, but it still stung to hear again for the pain he knew it caused her.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:13 pm

"If it is pertinent, leave it in, but I would prefer not to have it dredged up unnecessarily. I'm sure you understand. The next time I saw him was during the royal investigations in the Riverlands the following year. We briefly greeted one another in passing at the Green Door Inn. It was of no particular significance. I barely recall the conversation. He seemed less resentful then, but who knows what he might have been concealing. And then, the last time I saw him alive was a few days later, when he committed suicide."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:20 pm

"Omitted it will be. Tell me about the last time you seen him alive."

Darron checks his ink making sure he has enough.
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:56 pm

Corrine took another sip of wine, then briefly withdrew her hand from Ben's to rub her forehead, thinking back on that mess of a day.

"I received a message from him, asking me to come to the iron mines nearby, for an important, yet unspecified reason. I turned up, but we did not get to do more than greet one another before Lord Drakeson rode up with a unit of Blood Riders, accusing Athelstan of tampering with evidence and conspiracy. He demanded that Athelstan submit to arrest. Athelstan refused. The two argued, despite my protestations for peace, and Lord Drakeson killed Athelstan's horse, to keep him from leaving easily. Athelstan only grew more incensed, and started towards me, axe in hand, his expression and gait suggesting intent to attack me. I defended myself by firing a single arrow, which hit him in the chest. I had intended to hit his shoulder, to force him to drop his weapon, I had only wanted to disarm him, so that he could be detsined and interviewed about Lord Drakeson's allegations. But the distance between us was too short, I think. I was not able to aim properly. Anyway, he then stated he would not allow himself to be arrested, and ran into one if the mines, throwing himself down one of the shafts, which killed him."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:25 pm

"That runs contrary to what I have been told that you and Athelstan were actually leaving the mine when Lord Drakeson approached and that both of you entered that mine with men from House Longshore and House Marsten. Do you have anything to add to that or are you sticking with that you merely greeted each other before Lord Drakeson approached?"

Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:49 pm

"We were at the entrance to the mine. We were briefly inside, but not far. Athelstan had said he had something to show me. In hindsight, it was probably the wildfire. I had noticed signs in the mine that things were amiss. A piece of torn fabric that matched Athelstan's clothing, chalk markings that may have indicated where he was keeping whatever it was he intended to show me. But Baelon's bullish actions made sure I never got a chance to find out what was actually going on. That is how I remember the matter."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:51 am

"I see and this is the same mine that Athlestan threw himself down? Do you know who searched the mines for the body?"
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:19 am

"It was the same one, yes. A number of both Drakeson and Marsten soldiers searched the mine, including recovering the body. Some of them are with us here, if you need to question them."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down