Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Red Woman

2 posters

Go down

The Red Woman Empty The Red Woman

Post by Loreia Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:06 am

The evening has barely begun a half hour after the opening of the grand ball, with many passingly aware of the judges for the anticipated dancing competition. Noble lords and ladies cluster about in the hall of Grenward, a few drinking and a few getting some dancing in early. After a few minutes chatting with Daveth after the formal address, Loreia steps down to go mingle, her gait changing from a marching warrior profile to a promenade.

Her wavy dark hair cascades over shoulders of a relaxing blue hue. Loreia catches sight of the irised jewelry and pearls before she can confirm the wearer, and she makes a beeline through the crowd to reach the Lady of Hartshorn, the matchmaker of the Vale.

"Hail, Lady Marsten, a word?" Is she with anyone right now?

[I'm wondering if maybe we'd have already met at Jorah's promotion or Ereth's wedding to talk about how Corrine handled Lord Daleford, possibly having Lily married before Drakeson tourney exactly six months later.]

Last edited by Loreia on Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

The Red Woman Empty Re: The Red Woman

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:14 am

[Lily is unmarried, due to conditions set in the negotiation, but she's at Hartshorn, under Marsten protection. We can assume we talked at Ereth's wedding, so Loreia would know Adham Daleford has to have a son before Lily can get married to Ser Erryk Vance.]

Corrine turns at the sound of her name, away from her daydream.

"Ser Loreia! How lovely to see you again! How are you?" Corrine greets Loreia warmly.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:09 am

[Thanks, now I know what to ask.]

"Already better in your company, my lady," she smiles back. "Thank you for leaving on 'Ser'. I imagine a few even here would rather use a different title."

Last edited by Loreia on Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:08 pm

"Well, who cares what they think," Corrine shrugged. "Times are changing, and we all must change with them. Those naysayers are a dying breed. Think of their protestations as the death throes of their superiority. Will you walk with me? I actually was hoping to see you. I have something for you."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:20 am

"Oh? Yes, of course."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:29 am

Corrine leads Loreia away, to her room, where a box sat upon the table. A folded note was resting atop the lid.

"A mutual friend wanted me to pass this on to you," she said with a smile.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:02 am

"A 'mutual friend'...?"

A letter would only need to be sent by someone who couldn't attend the wedding. Corrine has many friends, many of them already present. Loreia goes to the table to pick up the note and read it. Maybe the "who" is a surprise?

Congratulations on your victory. I am sure, well deserved.
Given your enhanced notoriety, I thought you might like this for more formal occasions.

"Who is this unsigned benefactor? Could they not make it to the wedding, or can't they attend?" Then she asks, with a waggish look, "Or are you just acting coy until I see what you got me?" Careful. She may be a friend, but she is the Lady of Hartshorn.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:12 am

Corrine smiled and leaned in to speak more quietly.

"Master Mason is an admirer of your work. He asked me to give you this gift. He felt that sending it directly might draw unwelcome attention."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:55 am

[Actually knowing that this is from Nathan, though not specifically, it changes how this goes, but it gives this scene more potential.]

"Nathaniel?" She replies hushed, frowns at the revelation. "The young man in service to House Bartheld?"

Her mind races back to their first meeting, in the village of Blackbuckle, and her face softens. A great many nobles might have shared the same sentiment as he did in Corrine's pavilion a year ago, and perhaps Trelane as well. Something she and Daveth had discussed at length, as did Corrine briefly at Ereth's wedding in passing defense of him.

"He supports the bold actions I've taken, then? That's surprising," she wonders, to convince herself of a reason existing that she can appreciate for Nathan's alleged sentiment.

"It's not unwelcome, though. In any case, now I'm really curious about what's inside." She puts the letter back on the table and, glowing with anticipation in spite of the secrecy (and mitigated by it), she loosens the thread holding the box shut and opens it.

A dress. Her breath catches. Burgundy red, with gold trimmings. She holds it up - is that silk? A bit low in the front, but modest. Just as fine as the finery she's seen Lady Alianna wear, though not as expensive. And yet, one of her profession has little time for attire such as this, and she has more reasons not to wear it.

"I'm a sworn shield, and he sends me a dress?" The admiration in her eyes quickly darkens. "I see, he means to mock me. Mutual friend indeed..." she trails off. Wait. What is that? Looking even closer now, she sees...

"This isn't just a dress...look!"

Sure enough, there's more to this ensemble than one would realize without examining it up close. The bodice is reinforced with steel boning, and the lining is a fine protective leather.

[No idea what the actual packaging is (box, parcel etc), just assuming for flavor.]
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:44 am

Corrine watches the array of emotions cross Loreia's face with interest.

"It's a clever piece, is it not," Corrine muses, as Loreia feels the hidden armour and her expression changes. "In both design and symbolism. Feel free to try it on."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:08 pm

Her face flutters with a flash of apprehension between her excitement. "Oh, right here? A-aye, if that would be all right with you. If you would turn around?"
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:54 am

Corrine nodded, and went to the window, watching the birds.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:08 pm

The first things to come off are the gloves so that she can undo the rest, starting with the knots holding her livery taut.

"It surprises me that Nathan could have known what would fit me," she chatters while changing. "Unless this was Daveth's plan all along, and that he thought the only way he could get me into a dress was to gird it with protection underneath. I do sometimes feel naked without armor."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:57 pm

"Master Mason has an eye for all sorts of figures. I suppose he knew you would be in such situations someday, and felt that the Shieldmaiden shouldn't feel naked. Despite his colours, he seems to appreciate people of any leaning who hold up a mirror the prejudiced and unjust."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:59 pm

[Well, that is a wonderful save. Nathan is off the hook.]

"Hm. He's a shrewd one. If he wanted, I'm sure he could drop the Barthelds and serve a Black-leaning house in a heartbeat. He seems to sprout up next to members of House Marsten like a spring daisy from time to time."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:16 pm

Though Corrine's back was turned, Loreia could hear her smile as she spoke.

"I have often wished he would join our cause. He has shown great skill and integrity that many lack. Sadly, he still believes that supporting the Greens has a chance of averting war. I think he is wrong, but I have failed to convince him otherwise."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:04 pm

"He is a strong advocate for 'peace', that I've seen," she bristles. Although rationalized, the young entrepreneur's assessment and suggested course of dealing with Lord Daleford would not be soon forgotten from her memory. And yet, was this any different? she wonders. "The king's word is law. Is that not enough for us to have peace? Because one will surely find a shortage of it to go against his decree of succession."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:17 pm

"Indeed. It takes a special kind of arrogance... or ignorance, I suppose, to so openly say they reject & defy their King's judgement. Though, I cannot say he helps the matter much. He could stop the war nigh instantly if he would abdicate in favour of Princess Rhaenyra."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:27 pm

"Maybe so. Others may have had better sense, as did your Lady mother. The older generation must make way for the next."

Looking down at herself, Loreia realizes that her ensemble isn't complete. She'll have to borrow some nicer shoes, cinch her hair maybe, tie her hair back (normally worn loose). She picks up her soldier's attire in her hands; breeches, coat and tunic all draped over one arm, shoes and gloves in the other.

"Done. How do I look? I haven't decided if I should bow or curtsy..."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:01 pm

Corrine turns around, and a warm smile spreads across her face.

"You look lovely. The colour suits you. How do you feel in it?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:35 am

Loreia beams at the compliment. "It's very smooth. Nothing like the lazy wool shifts I wore once upon a time. I may wear it at other parties, but I should afford another besides just the one, when I get the chance."

"Thank you for bringing this to me, Corrine. Excuse me, I need to go borrow some shoes to go with it. The next time you see Nathan, will you pass along my thanks?"
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:39 am

"I will tell him. I have some shoes you could try on, if you like."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:42 pm

"Oh...I'd rather not," she deflects cordially, insistence slipping through slightly in spite of herself. "Thank you, but I don't wish to compel you. I should return my livery back to my quarters."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:28 pm

"Very well. I shall not pressure you. Take care, Ser. It was good to see you," Corrine replies, cordially, with a little nod.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:38 am

"And you as well, my lady." Loreia curtsies before exiting.

[/scene. And an awesome one!]
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down