Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 3: Late Evening] Old Soldiers (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[Day 3: Late Evening] Old Soldiers (Closed) Empty [Day 3: Late Evening] Old Soldiers (Closed)

Post by Jon Cobb Sun May 03, 2015 10:15 pm

I shouldn't have had so much to drink at the feast, Jon thought as he swayed slightly on his way to Lord Tomas Coldbrook's tent. Taking stock of the encampment as he passed through, Jon noted the orderly layout and the distinct lack of raucous feasting among the inhabitants. Old Tomas'd probably have built a palisade around his camp, if he thought he could get away with it. The man runs his house like he's still at war, Jon reflected sourly. Well, let's hope he remembers that in war, it's good to have allies backing you...

Stopping briefly in the shadow of a tent, Jon took a deep breath, straightened his posture, and put on his most commanding face, before proceeding to Lord Coldbrook's pavilion. Drawing himself up to his full height and fixing the guards with a fierce glare, he barked out a command: "
You men - tell Lord Tomas that Ser Jon Cobb has arrived. Now!"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

[Day 3: Late Evening] Old Soldiers (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 3: Late Evening] Old Soldiers (Closed)

Post by Reader Sun May 03, 2015 10:29 pm

The fierce Lord Coldbrook summons Ser Jon inside, eyeing his fellow veteran with a keen gaze.

Lord Coldbrook wears a mail shirt even in his tent and bears the burden lightly. He won his lands by force of arms and is a warrior born.

"
Good evening Ser Jon,"
said Lord Coldbrook, gesturing for a servant to pour a glass of water for Ser Jon, not offering more intoxicating beverages.

He proceeds with typical bluntness.

"
What drags you from Bartheld's debauchery?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[Day 3: Late Evening] Old Soldiers (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 3: Late Evening] Old Soldiers (Closed)

Post by Jon Cobb Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 pm

"
It's a pleasure to see you again as well, Lord Tomas,"
Jon replies with a grin. "
Strictly speaking, it's Tully debauchery tonight. The Barthelds aren't the only ones who can throw a revel to remember!"
Accepting the proferred water, he drains his cup in one gulp and gestures to the servant for more.

"
As for my business with you, I come on behalf of an old friend - a fellow veteran of the Stepstones. No doubt you remember Brom Bartheld and have heard of the trouble he's gotten himself into?"

OOC: Is it okay to initiate an intrigue, and will a single intrigue suffice to swing his support for Brom?

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue May 05, 2015 8:40 pm

"
A man cannot help but her about Brom's troubles, unless a man bans every minstrel from his lands. As appealing a notion as that is, I fear it would sit ill with the smallfolk and soldiers."

He smirks.

[OOC: intrigue away]

[url=Initiative][/url]: 3d6+2 11
Objective: ???
Disposition: Indifferent, DR 4
ID: 9
Composure: 9
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Tue May 05, 2015 8:59 pm

Exchange 1
[url=Intrigue Initiative][/url]: 4d6k3 13
Objective: Service - House Coldbrook will support pardoning Brom Bartheld
Intrigue Defense: 9
Composure: 12

Free Action: [url=Will (C)][/url]: 6d6k3 18
Free Action: [url=Cunning (Memory)][/url]: 6d6k5 25
Effect: Success with 2 DoS (assuming Tomas is Status 3, as his initiative test suggests);
+1D to one test, per information from Reader.
Also, not testing Status (Breeding) because it requires opponent to be Status 4 or better.
Action: [url=Shield of Reputation][/url]: 6d6k4 16 (includes +1D from Cunning test)
Effect: Lord Tomas' disposition goes to Amiable

Jon laughs appreciatively at Lord Tomas' jest, only half certain that he is actually joking.

"
Brom would no doubt be thrilled to hear that he has given joy to so many! That reminds me - do you remember that time in the Stepstones when the Prince was besieging yet another Myrish castle;
Brom got drunk one night and wagered that he and three friends would have a three course breakfast within bowshot of the walls, no matter what the Myrish did to try and chase them off? We almost pulled it off too - made it all the way to cheeses before we had to come running back with our tails between our legs. The Prince was furious, but we had the whole army laughing for days!"
Jon laughs out loud at the memory.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed May 06, 2015 8:19 pm

"
An amusing tactic, as well as an effective one. Wars are not just won with spears and shields, but with psychology too. It bolstered our own men and made their hungry bellies growl louder."

"
We must have been among the first ten across the walls that day Ser Jon? Ah, those were simpler times with men like you and Brom alongside me, and my enemies in front of me rather than in the shadows..."

Initiative: 3d6+2 11
Objective: ???
Disposition: Amiable, DR 3
ID: 9
Composure: 9
Action: read target
[url=Read Target][/url]: 4d6 16
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Wed May 06, 2015 11:43 pm

Exchange 2
Initiative: 13
Objective: Service - House Coldbrook will support pardoning Brom Bartheld
Intrigue Defense: 9
Composure: 12

Action: [url=Persuasion (Convince)][/url]: 5d6k4 15
Influence: 5 (4 x 2 DoS = 8 - 3 = 5)

"
They were simpler times indeed, Lord Tomas. But you don't seem to be doing so badly for yourself - after all, of the three of us you're the only one that can still call himself lord and master of his domain!"
Jon replies with a friendly smile.

"
And on that note, perhaps it is time to dispense with the pleasantries and get down to business. Lord Tomas, I came to you this evening for one simple purpose - to ask you for House Coldbrook's support in gaining a pardon for Brom Bartheld. I know the two of you didn't see eye to eye over a great many things, but I think you'll agree with me that there's many a nobleman whose done far worse than Brom and yet still enjoys the King's favor."

"
Now Brom is my friend, and as you know, I will not abandon a friend in need. So if you will do this thing, I would take it as a personal favor, and I can guarantee that House Bartheld will do the same. Earlier you said that you have enemies in the shadows - then surely you could rest easier knowing that in return for helping Brom, you would be gaining loyal allies to support you?"

Edit: Altered action to Influence (Convince), instead of Influence (Charm), since this is much less a case of cultivating an alliance than asking for a service.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu May 07, 2015 7:28 pm

[Yield offered: improved to amiable, having read his target's intentions and feeling his on a losing track, will offer to arrange a meeting with Daveth Coldbrook and Ser Jon, as Daveth is their chief negotiator present. His son will have the father's blessing to agree the deal, subject to House Bartheld/Jon doing something Daveth finds useful]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Thu May 07, 2015 9:52 pm

OOC: That's...not much of an offer really. He's already Amiable thanks to Shield of Reputation, and foisting the decision off on Daveth really isn't in Jon's interests. Jon's earlier meeting with Daveth didn't exactly leave him with a glowing impression of Tomas' stepson. Besides, it's a bit low to turn the decision of helping a fellow veteran of the Stepstones over to a teenager whom he doesn't even like (according to Daveth and Loreia).

Yield counter-offer: Tomas stays at Amiable, has House Coldbrook support Brom, and House Bartheld/Jon will owe House Coldbrook a favor in return. If Tomas cannot name his needs now, we can negotiate with Daveth when House Coldbrook calls in the favor.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun May 10, 2015 7:30 pm

[OOC: counter-offer accepted, if you'll move to amiable too, a small price to pay, and surely inevitable after spending an evening on Lord Coldbrook's favourite topic.

Support for Brom's rehabilitation, to be declared once the Coldbrooks have decided what they need from you. If they say they don't need anything at the moment = future favour owed by Bartheld/Jon]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sun May 10, 2015 7:38 pm

OOC: Amiable it is. Nice doing business with you, Lord Coldbrook.

"
I'm glad to see that you're as decisive as ever Lord Tomas, and that you can tell a good deal when you see one. Your support will go a long way towards getting Brom that pardon,"
Jon says in a relieved tone.

/scene?

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun May 10, 2015 7:40 pm

[/scene]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down