Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Bartheld Party] Brought to a Boil [Closed]

2 posters

Go down

[Bartheld Party] Brought to a Boil [Closed] Empty [Bartheld Party] Brought to a Boil [Closed]

Post by Loreia Sat May 30, 2015 3:01 pm

The Coldbrook Stallion pulls the White Raven aside to speak to him. "
It's good we're able to catch our breath, for a few hours anyway,"
she sighs. "
Grand feasts don't do quite as well for a guest's mood as do mummers and masks! Still, none of it can make us forget our problems for long. You might've made amends with Lord Dunstan, and the rest of his house in addition, but at barely any cost to them. How'd your father take it?"
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

[Bartheld Party] Brought to a Boil [Closed] Empty Re: [Bartheld Party] Brought to a Boil [Closed]

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat May 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Daveth nods. "
Reasonably, I think. He did at least recognise that a feud between our houses was not in our interests, and the Tullison willingness to recognise our claim on Castle Grenward, and even at least consider supporting legitimising Garret may not have *cost* them anything, but it gained us enough for him to be satisfied as to the good intent of the Lord. So long as Ser Theomore stays away."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

[Bartheld Party] Brought to a Boil [Closed] Empty Re: [Bartheld Party] Brought to a Boil [Closed]

Post by Loreia Sat May 30, 2015 6:05 pm

"
It feels like he's gettin' away! I get the feelin' he doesn't mind so long as he's got other places he's allowed to go. I guess he'll think twice before lancin' another boy through the breast, at least.

And that boy they call a lord is...as smart as he is young,"
she says, carefully dodging the old 'young and stupid' line in earshot of Daveth. "
You say he tried to attack you, and not long after the guest right? I think his mum ought to rule the house for another three years yet. Or he needs to get hitched soon, and to someone older than Lady Corrine. Someone who's past that...age."

Her lip curls into a sly grin. "
Speakin' of which, how're you farin' on the 'betrothal battleground'?"
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat May 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Daveth nods, sadly, and replies quietly. "
Yeah. I think he is going to get away again."
he grits his teeth in frustration. "
I'm just not good enough. Or not smart enough. Or cunning enough. Just not ... enough."
he slumps his shoulders in defeat and sighs. "
I'll just have to try again next time. That's the things about men like him, I suppose. They'll always give you another opportunity, and you only have to succeed once.

"
Lord Dunstan is ...mercurial, certainly. But we both have someone dear to our hearts at whom we could justly level the exact same accusation, so let's not judge him too harshly for that.

"
And as for me? Well, I wanted to tell you,"
hells, I wanted to tell everyone I met, even strangers "
but I couldn't find you when I was available. The Eagle whom you have temporarily pulled me away from is Lady Dyana Marsten, who agreed to accompany me to this event. So, I would say it's going very well."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sun May 31, 2015 8:19 am

Loreia's grin grows. "
Interestin'. It'd be a good match, I think, pairin' the cunnin' son of Alianna with a fightin' lady from an Andal house. It's almost poetic."

"
I've been spreadin' the word to get support for Garret's legitimization, but you ought to try gainin' an audience with the princess to bring it up with the crown. In the end, king Vyseris has the final say - or the princess. That means makin' a good impression, and havin' the money for it. Havin' noble lords and ladies who'll vouch for us is all well and good, but it's just a formality."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun May 31, 2015 11:55 am

"
Oh, she's more than just a fighter."
Daveth replies, rather wistfully, before his tone becomes more professional again.

"
Regarding Garret, it's difficult. The royal family are so rich that no money we could ever accumulate would be enough to convince them alone. Political influence matters far more. To do that means to get the support of other houses, enough that even the royal family would not seek to snub them by refusing. But those houses would likely not support someone they've not even met, so Garret's illness was poorly-timed indeed.

"
Still, tomorrow, for sure this time, he'll finally be up again, and we can finally start putting this inheritance issue to bed."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sun May 31, 2015 6:48 pm

"
I agree, and you're right,"
she replies, arms crossed. "
He could've been here - gods know I'd have to spend more time watchin' him at a party like this. I'm worried how far this situation'll set us back."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun May 31, 2015 7:06 pm

"
Believe me, Loreia. I fully intend to do my best to ensure Garret's illness has as little negative impact on the house as possible. Besides, you know as well as I do that if he were up, he could well have gone off half-cocked and caused any amount of trouble. It could well be that if he had been well the entire time, we'd currently be standing here lamenting his *lack* of illness."
his half-grin indicates that this is intended more as a 'cheering up' idea, rather than a serious criticism of his brother.

"
So, just go off and enjoy the last party you'll be spending at this tourney without having to babysit at the same time."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sun May 31, 2015 10:15 pm

"
Oh, aside from leavin' both my sword and armor behind, I'm havin' a wonderful time, Daveth."
She smiles weakly, but it's clear from the way she's been carrying herself that she's been able to let her guard down. "
Before I let you go, I've somethin' you might like to know."

"
You know that zealot who almost escaped? Athelstan's trial had enough of the guard occupied for him to even have a window to make the attempt. Don't know if that means much to you, but I believe that's a serious blunder. I don't wonder if Lord Gorman's even considered that, but I doubt he'd care, as the Longshore man's already paid in blood and gold. Think of it as an arrow you can put in Yoren's quiver. Or, in whoever's."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun May 31, 2015 10:55 pm

Daveth shakes his head angrily. "
The more I see and hear, the more this place reeks. For all the wonder of the library and godswood here, I'll be glad to get back to Castle Grenward, where the worst I have to worry about is smallfolk superstitions.

"
Still, good work investigating that. What's your take on Yoren, by the way? He's not exactly your typical Ironborn."
And he seemed well-disposed towards you.

Should I arm Yoren with information we acquired? At the trial he didn't exactly display a great deal of diplomatic subtlety, and he's likely no more emotionally stable now than he was then. On the other hand, he probably needs all the friends and help he can get. Hmmm.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:00 am

"
I wouldn't say he's Ironborn any more than your father considers you part of his family. He's one of 'them', but his beliefs clash with theirs. If the Longshores become Red God worshipers, they'll leave us 'greenlanders' alone, at least that's what I'd want."

"
He's all right, I guess. Unless you mean regardin' black vs green? I think he'd support the blacks if he wasn't so focused on convertin' his people, or whoever'll listen, to R'hllor - his exalted one true god,"
she mocks. "
But, an Ironborn house converted to the Red God'll be more likely to choose a side at all."
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:28 am

Thank you, Loreia. That's an analogy that doesn't touch any insecurities of mine at all. Daveth thinks, dryly, as he nods, thoughtfully. "
Alright. Thanks. Now, be off with you."
he waves a hand vaguely. "
You're distracting me from my 'betrothal battleground'. Go have fun or something."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:43 am

*Whoops. /scene*
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down