Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D5:EE] The Higher the Price the Farther the Fall (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D5:EE] The Higher the Price the Farther the Fall (Closed) Empty [D5:EE] The Higher the Price the Farther the Fall (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:42 am

There was a well known saying in Highgarden. 'Never deal with a skinny merchant and never trust a fat one.' The saying had some truth... and the assembled were certainly fat enough. Several would have given Septon Arlyn a run for his money, and at least one or two left the holy man in the dust.

Nathan sat at one end of the table, and Lady Marsten the other. Each merchant had been greeted politely upon entrance, and all assembled chat, drank wine, and joked with each other. All were in high spirits but one. He sat and sipped his wine in silence, giving Nathan side-long glances. He, at least had some idea what was about to happen.

"
Gentlemen. I wish to congratulate you on your business acumen. Were it not for your tacit agreement to hold out for the best prices for your wares and willingness to profiteer off the misfortune of others this meeting might never have happened."
Began Nathan. The light banter of the room trailed off. "
Of course, you can charge whatever you wish for your wares, but before we get to the question of price, there are some things you may wish to know first."

"
The investigation Houses will not be buying your wares. I know you hoped to gouge as many of us as possible, but as the head of the investigation forces, it has been decided that Lady Marsten is going to act as our agent and any purchases made are at her sole discretion."

"
You should also know that I have hundreds of wagons of food and supplies coming in from Highgarden, Lannisport and Riverrun. Some will be here in a matter of days. Some of those supplies will be sold at cost, some will be donated outright. I am sure you are all aware of what happens to the price of a commodity when the market is suddenly flooded and demand evaporates."

"
Further, you should know that both Lord Bracken and Ser Myles have given their permission to allow hunting in their forests by commoners over the next few days. This, of course, alleviates much of the urgency for food until outside supplies arrive."

"
In short, gentlemen, the ludicrously overpriced supplies that you have stuffed to the rafters in your warehouses will be close to worthless by the end of the month. In spite of all this, Lady Marsten has decided that not all of you need be bankrupted, but she has no intention of haggling like a fishwife. She will purchase the complete inventory of which ever one of you offer her the lowest price. The rest of you? Well, I am sure that House Bracken or Blackwood will be happy to purchase your inventories once the price returns to normal... provided, of course, they don't confiscate those inventories for the taxes you probably will not longer have the coin to pay."

Unity was not the normal state for a merchant. Nathan just needed one to break from the herd and the economic bloodbath would start. Each would try and slash the others throat to salvage something from the situation.

[url=Merchant - Persuasion (Convince)][/url]: 7d6k5 25
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D5:EE] The Higher the Price the Farther the Fall (Closed) Empty Re: [D5:EE] The Higher the Price the Farther the Fall (Close

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:24 pm

Corrine sat in silence, and watched with a gleam in her eye.

The master at work. What a thing to behold! Drink it in, you profiteering rats!

[ooc: should I be rolling/speaking?]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D5:EE] The Higher the Price the Farther the Fall (Closed) Empty Re: [D5:EE] The Higher the Price the Farther the Fall (Close

Post by Nathaniel Mason Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:24 pm

[OOC: For now, I think imperious silence and a look of scathing scorn is your best option. Very Happy ]

[Let your minions do their work. If any of the merchants get out of line, I expect you can put them in their place fast enough.}
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D5:EE] The Higher the Price the Farther the Fall (Closed) Empty Re: [D5:EE] The Higher the Price the Farther the Fall (Closed)

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down