Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 2, Mid Evening]The Price of Cartography (Closed)

3 posters

Go down

[Day 2, Mid Evening]The Price of Cartography (Closed) Empty [Day 2, Mid Evening]The Price of Cartography (Closed)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:54 pm

(OOC: Due to a warp in space-time, I'm not sure if my parents are with us for this one. I'm assuming not/are background, but will edit as needed if they are.)

Daveth knelt next to Garret and Ser Jorah, all dressed in their best, in the Tully's Great Hall. Relax, Daveth. Breathe. You presented to *Royalty* earlier today, he's only a Lord Paramount. You can do this.

"
Lord Tully, Lady Tully. Thank you for your generosity in meeting with us. House Coldbrook is truly honoured that you would make time to hear our humble request."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

[Day 2, Mid Evening]The Price of Cartography (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 2, Mid Evening]The Price of Cartography (Closed)

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Ser Jorah knelt next Daveth and Garret for the audience. Daveth was the leader here, but he would assist as much as he could

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

[Day 2, Mid Evening]The Price of Cartography (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 2, Mid Evening]The Price of Cartography (Closed)

Post by Reader Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:50 am

Lord Coldbrook had not come, noting he'd killed enough Tully bannermen in uprisings of the Faith Militant to be a hindrance rather than an asset, while declaring his wife too traumatised by Ser Theomore's skulking presence at the tourney to attend the negotiations.

Lord and Lady Tully stare down at the Coldrbook delegation from the dias.

"
Stand, honoured guests."
Lord Tully speaks with some warmth, Ser Jorah and Daveth having made a good impression on him yesterday. "
We receive you in friendship and would hear your words."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:55 pm

Daveth stands, gratefully. "
Thank you, Lord Tully. I would not repay your generosity by intruding on your time over-much, so I will be brief."
Because you're just *so* good at that.

"
As you know,"
actually, I have no idea if you do or not, we're not exactly conspicuous, but always err on the side of flattery, "
our house gained its status through my father's acts of martial valour. At the time, the focus was, as it ever is with our house, on winning the fight, and certain administrative matters were pushed back, indefinitely.

"
Now, consideration is falling to the next generation, and my Lord father wishes to ensure that what was gained through blood and loyal service cannot be lost through a strike of the pen.

"
As such, we seek your written confirmation that Castle Grenward legally belongs to the Coldbrook family. Of course, while your generosity is legendary, we would not feel right exploiting it so, and so we also request how a house as humble as ours might properly thank you for such a boon."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:00 pm

Lord Tully harrumphs in thought, his grey whiskers bristling as he ponders the request.

"
You ask much and more, and it is not entirely in my power to grant this. House Tully's voice in support can be yours, but only with adequate recompense."

"
Adjusting ledgers and moving boundary stones will require men and provisions - House Tully would bear the burden of change with no benefit in return. Coin, much coin, would be needed to defray our costs."

"
Further, an Oath to the Seven that no man of House Coldbrook will take up arms against House Tully or its vassals without my express permission, to be granted only on matters of honour. You are sworn to a different lord, and I would be expanding the Stark domain to my doorstep."

"
Finally, a ward of House Coldbrook to be fostered at Riverrun - Lord Coldbrook's current successors are too advanced in age to help foster bonds of friendship, so let us say House Coldbrook's heir's heir, with your mother remaining behind until such a suitable child is produced, to help prepare their way."

Lord Tully delicately skirts the issue of Coldbrook's succession.

[OOC: Base cost of 3 Wealth, intrigue can be risked to get him to 2 but if you lose it will be pushed to 4

- you know from your previous conversation that this is just about acceptable to Lord Coldbrook, but someone else instead of his wife remaining at Riverrun would be a superior solution, albeit keen not to split the party by having this be a PC so he'll reject PC offers]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:32 pm

(Some OOC questions before I respond:
1) At what age until what age would the 'heir's heir' be warded? What are the political implications of this? I mean, specifically the fact that it would be the heir? It is a public show of distrust that they have to claim so important a ward? Is it a show of honour that the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands would take them as a ward? Could I expect them to be well-educated? Should I expect regular messages of 'we need money, or there may be some slippery stairs in Riverrun'?

2) 'Take up arms' - I'm presuming this is more in the 'house' sense than the individual? Or are there specific exemptions for tourneys and the like? Also, I'm assuming there's a self-defence exception where we're allowed to defend ourselves from attack without asking permission? Also for our allies - we can aid them defensively without permission, but if the war leaves our allies' territory, we'd need permission to continue?

3) We can't really leave my mother - in her weakened emotional state, I'd be too worried about her breaking down entirely. But we can't leave the Lord, or a PC, and that's all the direct family members accounted for. The only person I can think of would be Farris Leed, since I'm already assisting him, and can just increase my workload even more (ha!) and take over fully. He's a trusted and loyal servant, but would that be enough to 'prepare the way'?

4) I think that 3 non- or semi-schemers against the Lord Paramount and his wife combined probably won't successfully haggle, so I'm inclined to accept the 3 wealth cost. Is that actually a reasonable cost, or is he utterly gouging us? And I'm assuming it would be just him that would actually have a cost - other PC houses we ask for the same will basically be able to do so for free?)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:20 am

[OOC:

1) Education would be excellent. On the honour/distrust issue - it's a bit from column A and a bit from column B. The Coldbrooks are technically war heroes from the faith militant uprising, but the fought against the Seven and are sworn to a different lord. The money question is an interesting one that I won't answer. Twisted Evil

2) Tourneys etc are fine. He means actual fighting. Killing a Tullison bannerman in anything bar a judicial duel is likely to have consequences, as is championing a different house against a Tully bannerman in a duel. Self defence is fine, but you'd be expected not to pursue beyond your lands. Obviously battles are chaotic, so breaches might be hard to prove. :;
):

3) Farris - probably not. Perhaps you can think of some consideration now or later - even an unspecified favour - to make up the shortfall here? Or risk an intrigue? Or just offer an extra wealth point.

4) You've got little chance in an intrigue here without using a lot of destiny - I'm sure you've noted him trash Yoren already. He's not gouging you by much, but that he's asking for wealth rather than political support (influence) or marriages (traditional) is interesting... Other PC houses won't have the same cost (it's not necessary, but they can ask for favours/money/military support).
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri May 01, 2015 1:08 pm

Daveth bows formally. "
Thank you, Lord Tully, your offer is absolutely fair, but I must beg for your mercy on a single point. My mother has been hit very hard by the death of her youngest child last year, and she is but a pale shadow of the woman she was. I fear that should I agree to a deal which would separate her from the rest of her family, however comfortable her surroundings, it would do her irreparable harm. As such, and lacking any alternative family who could act in her place, I humbly petition that we be allowed to merely supply another oath to the Seven of our intent, and some further financial consideration for your troubles, until our heir's heir reaches fostering age."

(OOC: So, offer of:
- 4 wealth (OUCH!)
- An Oath to the Seven (by Lord Coldbrook and both possible heirs) that no man of House Coldbrook will take up arms against House Tully or its vassals without Lord Tully's express permission, to be granted only on matters of honour.
- An Oath to the Seven (again, by Lord Coldbrook and both possible heirs) that House Coldbrook's heir's heir will be fostered at Riverrun when they reach fostering age.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun May 03, 2015 12:04 pm

Lord Tully nods, concealing any pleasure he feels at the deal.

"
Good, good. Peace and promises, not swords and sadness. Make your promises before the Seven before the tourney is out and quills and friendship will help secure what swords have won."

Friendship, and a great deal of coin and resources...
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun May 03, 2015 12:15 pm

(OOC: Sorry, confused. He asked that we make an oath to the Seven, which is what we agreed to. Now he's saying to make the promises 'before *your* gods', which rather implies the Old Gods. I mean, I'll agree either way, I just want to know if we should be doing it in the Sept or the Godswood. Also, if it's in the Godswood, I'm assuming we'll need a Tully witness? Make sure we know who we should contact for that if so. Presumably, in the Sept, there'll already be one.)

Yes. We have drunk our fill of sadness already. Daveth bows once again. "
Thank you for your understanding and generosity, Lord Tully. It will be done."

(OOC: And once you've clarified which gods we're swearing to, presumably we'll be dismissed, and /thread)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun May 03, 2015 12:43 pm

[OOC: whoops, before the Seven please, he's a grouch and wants his gods, throwing weight around]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down