Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 1: Late Evening] Scrolls & Daggers (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[Day 1: Late Evening] Scrolls &
Daggers (Closed) Empty [Day 1: Late Evening] Scrolls & Daggers (Closed)

Post by Jon Cobb Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:32 pm

Jon paced restlessly amongst the scrolls and tomes of the library, waiting for Maester Forthwind to appear. He stopped for a moment to stare at the lettering on the covers of a particularly large, leather-bound book, but none of it meant anything to him.

Perhaps I should try learning to read and write after all? I'm not getting any younger, and it's not like I'll be able to fight my way to owning another fief, not in my current state. Besides, the Prince always said that it's better to handle one's own letters than to trust the Maesters overmuch. But Forthwind seems a good sort...I hope.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Daggers (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 1: Late Evening] Scrolls & Daggers (Closed)

Post by Reader Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:37 pm

The clanking of the Maester's cane announced his arrival long before Jon saw him.

Eventually, Maester Forthwind waddled in to view, a pleasantly plump middle-aged men, with the figure you'd expect from one who served House Bartheld.

The dignity of the maester's chain and learning is somewhat undermined by the loose scraps of chicken evident in his the folds of Forthwind's robe around his neck.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:09 pm

"
Maester Forthwind, I'm glad you could find the time to speak to me. Though I confess, the library would not have been my first choice for a venue,"
Jon says jokingly. "
Fortunately, I remembered to bring wine and two goblets - may I offer you some?"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:38 pm

"
I would not shame the offer by declining, yes, yes,"
burbles Maester Forthwind. His hands suddenly discover a piece of chicken, which disappears in to his maw.

The maester gestures at the cluttered bookshelves with a pudgy arm.

"
The Tully's have a grand library indeed, but you pre-empted my thoughts. It would not have been the place I sought you out in."

"
Did the rabble at the Huntsman drive you from its warm embrace with incessant demands for tales of heroic stands on bridges?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:54 pm

"
Did the rabble at the Huntsman drive you from its warm embrace with incessant demands for tales of heroic stands on bridges?"

"
I wish it were so, Maester, but I haven't yet had the pleasure of the Huntsman's taproom,"
Jon replies ruefully. "
In fact, I come directly from the Great Hall and the welcoming ceremony. Ser Fendrel was indisposed and asked me to convey his thanks to House Tully on behalf of House Bartheld, which of course I was glad to do in repayment for the many happy hours I've spent at Hart House! I then happened upon a most delightful young lady from House Marsten and, well, let's just say it was time well spent..."
he finishes with a wolfish grin.

OOC: Been a long day, so it's all just pleasantries today, I'm afraid! I'll try and pick up the pace tomorrow. Embarassed

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Maester Forthwind raises his glass in a mock salute at Wrecker Jon's exploits.

"
Let us drink to your conquest then, before we turn to your business."

The maester drinks heartily, deep red win rolling down his chin, staining his robes.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Jon downs his goblet and pours a second round for himself and the Maester. "
Indeed - let's get business out of the way so we can enjoy more of Ser Fendrel's excellent wine!"

"
Maester Forthwind, as you well know, Lord Brom was - is - an old and valued friend of mine. I owe him not only for his hospitality over the years, but for all the times he stood by my side in the battles over the Stepstones. So, this matter of the King turning against him makes me sick to my heart, and I feel I must do what I can to help secure a pardon from His Grace. The reason I asked to meet with you this evening is that I hope you feel the same way and that - Seven willing - we can become allies in this endeavor?"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:18 pm

"
I am a servant to House Bartheld, let none doubt the Citadel's oaths,"
the maester's words are sincere, but undercut by being spluttered through mouthfuls of wine.

"
Lord Brom was a man who knew how to live, but a life too full can push against others. He earned censure for his wild ways, debts and pursuit of that slip of a Tullison girl."

"
Your loyalty to your friend is commendable, but may cause House Bartheld.... issues."

"
It is not for me to determine our course of action, merely to advise. If this is our part, we must seek support from the other Houses gathered here. The Queen's party or the Princess's could also land a hand, at the risk of provoking the ire of the other. Whatever the one proposes the other will opposes, fearing a feint or stratagem."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:59 pm

Dammit, this is going to be harder than I hoped. Trust a Maester to duck behind his vows when action is needed! Alright, Jon thinks, steeling his will, time to turn on the charm...

[url=Intrigue Initiative][/url]: 4d6k3 16
Disposition: Indifferent, DR 4
Objective: Friendship
Intrigue Defense: 9
Composure: 12

Edit: Adding actions as per PM.

Free Action: [url=Will (C)][/url]: 6d6k3 15
Free Action: [url=Cunning (Memory)][/url]: 6d6k5 17
Free Action: [url=Status (Breeding)][/url]: 4d6k3 10
Action: [url=Influence (Charm)][/url]: 6d6k5 20
Influence: 4 (4 Persuasion x 2 DoS = 8 Influence - 4 DR = 4)

"
And your loyalty to your oaths does you credit as well, friend Maester. Your advice is sound, and to have so many of the great and powerful of Westeros gathered in one place will certainly make it easier to gather support. However, I think it would be unwise for me to simply march into their camps and demand an audience. Even I - a simple soldier - can see that this matter must be handled with discretion and wisdom, if it is to have any chance of succeeding. And wisdom, I seem to recall, is something of a specialty of the Citadel..."

Last edited by 117 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Maester Forthwind carefully weighed up Wrecker Jon's approach.

Intrigue Initiative: [url=Status (Initiative)][/url]: 4d6 16
Objective: ???
Intrigue Defense: 11
Composure: 5 (9)

Action:[url=Read Target][/url]: 3d6 17
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Initiative: 16

Action: [url=Shield of Reputation][/url]: 6d6k4 14 (includes +1D from successful Cunning (Memory) test)
Effect: Forthwind's disposition improves to Amiable if his Will is 3 or less.

"
What say you, Maester Forthwind? You are loyal to your vows and serve House Bartheld to the best of your ability, but I believe that you also called Lord Brom your friend - is that not so?* And if you know my reputation, then you know that I will not abandon a friend in need. Help me as you used to help Brom, and I will gladly count you as my friend as well."

*The Chronicle's description of Forthwind states that he probably misses Brom more than anyone bar Davain. I figured this could be the "
useful information"
I gained from the Cunning (Memory) roll. After all, so far he seems to be making an effort to appear neutral/professional with regards to Brom's disgrace.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:24 am

"
Aye, Lord Brom was ever a friend to me, and it follow that his plight is a sadness to me too in turn. My first loyalty is to the House, but that does not make me a stone."

Intrigue Initiative: Status (Initiative): 4d6 16
Disposition: Amiable, DR 3
Objective: ???
Intrigue Defense: 11
Composure: 5 (9)

Action: [url=Persuade + Read target bonus][/url]: 4d6 10+1 = 11

Effect: 3 influence - 4 DR =0

[Edited to include shield of reputation effect
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:38 pm

OOC: Just checking - Forthwind's disposition is unchanged, so I assume that Shield of Reputation failed?

Initiative: 16

Action: [url=Influence (Charm)][/url]: 6d6k5 23
Influence: 8 (4 Persuasion x 3 DoS = 12 Influence - 4 DR = Cool

Jon laughs and pours another round of wine for himself and Maester Forthwind. "
You are certainly no stone, Maester. I've seen a lot of rocks in my travels and not one of them could soak up wine like you do!"

"
Now, it sounds to me as if you fear that there will be trouble for House Bartheld if action were taken to return Lord Brom to the King's good graces. But consider this - Brom's disgrace is already blackening the name of our Bartheld friends, and will continue to do so even if Davain and Ser Fendrel are quick to settle the matter of who will succeed him. So there need be no conflict between serving House Bartheld and helping a friend - help me help Lord Brom, and you will also be helping House Bartheld, as your vows constrain you to do."

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:49 pm

[intrigue result: Maester Forthwind's disposition towards Jon Cobb improves to friendly and he's better disposed to helping reintegrate the former Lord Brom Bartheld. Just forgot to include Shield of Reputation results, included now.]

Maester Forthwind drains his cup.

"
Too true. Perhaps I have been too cautious - any decision is better than this impasse, a Boar should not seem indecisive. The old Lord was always good to me. The Seven smile if I can help an old friend and serve my oath."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:44 pm

Reader wrote:Maester Forthwind drains his cup.

"
Too true. Perhaps I have been too cautious - any decision is better than this impasse, a Boar should not seem indecisive. The old Lord was always good to me. The Seven smile if I can help an old friend and serve my oath."

"
Well spoken, my friend, together we will be a force to be reckoned with!"
Jon replies cheerfully.

"
Now, I'm afraid I have a favor to ask of you almost immediately. I have a some ideas on who to approach to build support for Lord Brom's pardon, but it shames me to admit that writing is not a skill I have mastered. I was hoping that you could perhaps aid me in formulating a suitable request for an audience? I could seek out a scribe here at Riverrun, but this is a delicate matter, and I would feel safer if my correspondence were handled by a friend."

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:28 pm

Maester Forthwind sighs.

"
If it aids House Bartheld then I am your humble scribe. Too much time at war! Still, we are supposed to be knights of the mind, so perhaps I should be grateful that you more conventional knights do not intrude on our territory! Shall I send for parchment and quill?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:04 pm

OOC: By this time slot on Day 1, I hope to be able to motivate setting up a meeting with Isobel Marsten as well as the Prince. Will the remainder of the current slot suffice to draft letters to both of them and still allow Jon to talk to Forthwind about who he favors in the Bartheld succession (perhaps even intriguing him to make him a Fendrel supporter?)

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:09 pm

[OOC: letters = yes, 2nd intrigue with the same NPC in the same timeslot = generally no]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:21 pm

OOC: Alright, let's go with penning some letters then. A planned meeting with Dunstan Tullison on day 1 has unfortunately dried up, so if possible I'd like to have Forthwind write him as well. Do we need to RP this, or can I simply assume that some form of reasonable missives will be produced (begging an audience here, invite to a breakfast meeting there...)?

Also, regarding the Fendrel-Davain business. Techinically, I have nothing to gain from securing Forthwind's support for Fendrel, since no VPs are being handed out for getting support from NC members of House Bartheld. Isn't that a bit odd?

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:35 pm

[OOC: VPs are just a starting point for all objectives, if anyone does something they think is worthy, petition me in the objective thread or your private forum.

Letters - no need to play this out, can just assume something appropriate is drafted]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down