Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storming Wyl

+5
Ser Jorah Holt
Baelon Drakeson
Ser Walton Dulver
Ereth Redwain
Theomore Tullison
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Storming Wyl - Page 3 Empty Re: Storming Wyl

Post by Ereth Redwain Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Minor details, but Scorpions are pretty good weapons.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Arguably the best anti-personnel siege (barring oil or wildfire, but those cost extra), but utterly incapable of breaking down gates or the like.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:26 pm

I believe there'd be casuality tests, aye, though no PC unit takes damage. As for Aerion and scorpions, in my head the battle would proceed like this:

Targaryen foot charges towards the gate, archers will start shooting once they get into range, while infantry charges through the gate (which Vhagar smashes open), Targaryen cavalry brings in any PC champions (including sub-commanders renouncing command to become champions) that wants to join the fun. So first across the wall is go, as is nightmares about scorpion fire, I'd imagine the Wyl's would start opening fire with those eventually.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerion Storm Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:27 pm

Guess we're just waiting for the final draft of FATW, then. Then the 'fun' begins.
Aerion Storm
Aerion Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:01 pm

I think our scorpions are taking pot shots at the Wyll troops if not exchanging shots with their scorpions at some point lol
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:16 pm

Right now your scorpions are out of range of the Wyl troops, and the wyl scorpions are more effective as a deterrent to moving the Targ siege up than they would be for taking out trash units (because Lord Wyl was consistently winning initiative, they'd take out your engineers before your engineers could fire).

Of course, as soon as the leadership got in range of the scorpions, all bets would be off.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:31 pm

The engineers would stay out of scorpion range, they'd just go 10 yards forward and we'd be killing enemy scorpions, us having 3, them having 2 and us having 5D vs 3D warfare. We were hoping that we might bait Lord Wyl into shooting at our fodder to get in the first salvo, of course.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:16 pm

You move forward 10, wyl engineers take out 2 of your scorpions... or move forward, too. They had room to do that without leaving the castle. Really, Vhagar's what made this a sure win. The Targ army would probably win, but it wasn't guaranteed for sure.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:02 am

I think the Wyl Scorpions could have done some decent damage to Vhagar considering they ignore his AR, and could do at least 1DoS each so it's about 10 dmg per scorpion with no AR per turn.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:25 am

Vhagar counts as a unit rather than individual character. So just 3 damage per DoS. Plus hard to hit.

It's highly unlikely that Wyl scorpions can take out two of ours in one go, since that requires both the warfare rolls (3D) to beat 15. Actually more likely that they wouldn't take out a single one than them getting two. And then there would be horse archer shenanigans to ensure that we'd have the last scorpion standing anyway.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:46 am

Yes, Vhagar is a unit, but they could target the prince and make him go back wounded with Vhagar? Just checking for chinks in the Dragon unit.

In the end the question remains, do the PC units get the XP or it's a hand waved event and we don't get nothing but try the first over the wall which can give some nice loot.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:05 am

Taking part in battle means casualty roll, though XP being granted is never assured.
Wyl-casualities Tullison Cavalry: 1d6 5 +1 training, huzzah!
Wyl-casualities Hite Archers: 1d6 6 +2 training, Ser Ulbert must be feeding them some serious badass chow....
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:15 am

Ereth Redwain wrote:Yes, Vhagar is a unit, but they could target the prince and make him go back wounded with Vhagar? Just checking for chinks in the Dragon unit.
Generally units cannot target attached heroes/commanders directly - that would make targeting the commander (especially with siege) far too effective of a tactic, especially because units get a hefty bonus (+2D) to attack individuals.

Funny though - by taking out the dragon (or at least trying) you're going to end up taking out the rider first - every time a unit is damaged, attached characters take 1 damage (ignores AR). So sure, it might take 19 hits on Vhagar to defeat Aemond, but Vhagar could take another 10 or so (assuming 1 DoS Scorpion hits).
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:31 am

I'm having a vague recollection of their being something about if your targeted while in unit you get +20 to your CD?
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:51 am

Well scorpion special rules reads as follows:

At the battle scale, each scorpion is, in fact, three separate devices.
When fired during the battle round, all three devices fire at a specific
unit, dealing the normal damage. A scorpion can be used against an individual
character. When used thus, the attacker rolls a Warfare test but
with –1D. On a successful hit, the scorpion deals 10 damage.

I figured you could target a character in a unit by the way this is worded, or I just interpreted wrongly.

Redwain Cavalry: 1d6 1 -1 training
Engineers: 1d6 2 - no change
Wow orokos... just fucking wow...
Cavalry reduced to green, now I need 2 Pow just to get it back to trained.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:00 am

Darron - Kind of the reverse. When an individual attacks a unit, the unit gets +20 to CD. The alternative is to attack part of the unit, which means you have 10 rounds of a 1 vs 10 fight of members of that unit - defeat all 10, the unit takes a point of damage... doesn't really work well, but is highly abuse-able by archer characters. Others are likely to get seriously hurt by swarm tactics - knockdowns, assists, etc.

Now that I look for it specifically, there's nothing saying attached characters can't be targeted, nor that there would be any penalty to do so. However, that just wouldn't work. The battle would end rather quickly when commanders start taking 7d6 archery attacks for 9 damage per DoS, for instance. No, the way we run battles attached characters cannot be targeted directly - units have to fight the unit, or an unattached character.

Ereth - yes, most siege can only target units or defensive structures. Scorpions can target unattached characters, but at a penalty.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:03 pm

It had been quite a few years since last a dragon saw battle, and considering that mostly sellswords and second sons had joined Prince Daemon's campaign, few men partaking in this battle was like to have actually witnessed one in action. Theomore was among those familiar with what a dragon could do. But also what a dragon would not do. The Dornish had felled Meraxes, and Prince Daemon knew to be cautious when they had joined against him on the Stepstones. No doubt Prince Aemond had been advised to do the same. But when an army that of itself should be capable of taking the castle is supported by a dragon, the conclusion to the battle had already been decided. Vhagar served to strike terror into the enemy hearts. Only it's presence in the sky was enough to condemn half the garrison to death, and save hundreds in the Targaryen host as they could hustle with enemy attentions trained upon him, perhaps a few dozen Dornishmen, fell victim to it's scorching breath, though it would appear that the war engines were Prince Aemond's priority, turning the wooden skeletal frames into kindling, depriving House Wyl of it's sharpest teeth.

And then with a swing of his mighty tail at the most opportune moment, Vhagar shook the walls of Castle Wyl as he smashed in the gate, leaving a path in which the coalition foot could charge through, wave after wave weakening the defenders until such a point as the resistance broke and the the banners of House Targaryen might be raised atop the walls as the yellow ones with the adder biting the heel were consigned to the fires.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:18 pm

The banners showing the snake biting the ankle were consigned to the flames, those men at arms who had survived and surrendered was herded into the corner and Theomore had suggested that his lord nephew ensured that no girl or woman would be raped, or no man be treated with cruelty. A task he had the authority and desire to undertake. Those of the knights and captains under his command that he could most rely upon had been dispatched to secure Lord Wyl's treasury, such as it was. Those of Wyl's household not bearing arms were rounded up in another corner of the yard, with Lord Wyl, his family and knights apart from those again. Prince Aemond circled around the castle, the courtyard was not big enough for Vhagar to land in it so he had to make the beast do so outside, his squire being on hand with a fine black Destrier so that he might enter the castle in the splendor of a king, though he bore no crown.

Theomore stands in the middle, going down on the knee to greet his prince. "Arise ser." Aemond dismounts and helps him up. "Again you have honored your prince and your king where others fails to carry out their duties to the crown."

"My prince is most kind." Theomore offers. "Though it was he upon Vhagar that provided victory for us this day." Aemond could take lessons from Theomore in hiding his satisfaction at hearing those words, a humble man or one wishing to appear so would not have his words cling so hollow. "Had I placed another in charge, he might have forced me to burn the castle to the ground to acquire victory." Somehow, it sounds as if that was what he had wanted, but the young man, no Theomore decides, a boy still. "And I may show all the kingdoms the price of defiance" added emphasis on the word all as his eye fell upon Lord Wyl. "Vhagar has been hungry for the flesh of House Wyl for many moons, and now none can claim that they might have escaped the carnage." It requires considerable effort for Theomore to suppress the knot forming in his stomach. "Far be it from me to question the will of the dragons, my prince, but it would be my humble thought that the throne might be better served by an approach more merciful, king Aegon would frequently spare those who were defeated."

Aemond looked at him with some irritation and with a hint of curiosity, not surprising in so far as the measure he must have taken of Theomore in Battle Valley, he did not flinch in consigning his prisoners to Vhagar's maw, he had even made the suggestion, and threw the first one in by his own hands. If any of his captains would aid him without qualms in executing the crown's revenge upon House Wyl, it would be Ser Theomore. If Theomore asked for a boon such as the sparing of the lives of Lord Wyl's family, the prince could not well refuse, the septon would have demanded that he so did, a prince that was reluctantly forced to cut short his revenge and thus displeased was a cost Theomore should be willing to pay if it could save these souls, so the septon preached. "Speak freely, ser, you have earned that right."

"My prince might execute Lord Wyl, and such of his family as has fallen to his mercy, he might take what riches is available to plunder, and set the royal host loose to improve their own fortunes, while my prince upon Vhagar exacts terrible vengeance upon the lands of House Wyl, ensuring that it will take many summers for it to recover such strength as is required to once again challenge the might of the Iron Throne. It is what all would expect. Most men that I spoke with suggested that to do otherwise is to simply encourage the Dornish to try again."

"I take it that you have another idea, Ser Theomore?" Aemond seems to decide to be curious in what advice his commander might offer, if nothing else, Theomore had earned the right to have it considered. "I wonder if there is an alternative, my prince, ser Walter escaped into the land I hear, he could restore the house eventually. But if another were to be installed instead, granted lordship of the castle and provided with the men to hold it and the surrounding lands, and the Dornish have no dragons they might use to reclaim it. If so, House Wyl would be reduced to vagabonds fraying their welcome, their names reduced to naught with time. And for the first time in over a hundred years, House Targaryen will again have expanded it's domains."

Aemond seems to like that idea, but to whom should he bestow such an honor? "As much thought as you must have given the subject, ser, you must have some opinion on who to hold it in our name?" A most delightful question, Theomore enjoys it when fortune smiles to his design. "I would propose Ser Alayne, my prince. He served ably as my second in the battle, demonstrated his prowess in a duel of honor, he commands respect and authority by his ability and image. He is also of a house of dubious loyalty, bestowing this honor upon him would leave Horn Hill indebted to my prince."

"Then so it shall be, ser." Aemond looks pleased, but perhaps wondering what Theomore might get out of it. But he had heard it spoken that the Tullison knight had an outspoken preference for arrangements where everyone wins, surely he had earned whatever profit he could make of it? "And what of Lord Wyl and his family?" Ah, interesting question. "I think soon to be Lord Wyl no longer, my prince." Theomore smiles wickedly. "Some crimes have only one punishment, but if he were to yield his title willingly, he might be afforded a soldier's death at the blade of my prince? If not, then perhaps we cannot ignore Vhagar's hunger, and have him watch his kin perish first?" The septon's words rings in the back of his mind, was staking another piece of his soul worth the future it would buy? Or worse yet? Did he gamble the deaths of the innocent on the hope that Lord Wyl would accept such terms and only he would die? "Very good, then." Aemond agrees.

"If my prince will so allow, I shall bring Lord Wyl before him." A nod is offered, hopefully Theomore can make the man swallow his pride and save his family from death, and Theomore from seeing them again in his dreams.

[This post carries the stamp of Narrator approval]
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3