Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D3 MM An uncomfortable Meeting

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

D3 MM An uncomfortable Meeting Empty D3 MM An uncomfortable Meeting

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Sat May 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Ser Jorah and Daveth arrived at the Water Gate and waited for the arrival of the Tullison delegation. He was armed with his ever present longsword, but was ready to place it to one side if need be.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

D3 MM An uncomfortable Meeting Empty Re: D3 MM An uncomfortable Meeting

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat May 02, 2015 11:16 pm

Daveth arrives with Ser Jorah, nerves playing havoc with his thoughts. Nerves tingling, hands sweaty, breathing a little too quickly. Not helped by him picturing the Tullyson coat of arms in his head, like he'd been doing regularly since his first meeting with Lord Tullyson. I have to make sure there's not a repeat of my behaviour that time. I am the master of my own mind. It is my weapon and my dominion. I must not let it be turned against me by my own weaknesses. He looks over the boats moored near the gate itself. A strange place to decide my House's fate. When the history of my house is read, will they find it odd that so important an event was in such a place? Or will they simply shake their head at my hubris that a single event could have such implications? That actually, fate is determined not by a single big act, but by a collection of minor ones, often by the strangest of actors, and that by the time the big event comes around, fate is already locked into a decision, be it good or bad.

Are we doomed already? Are they? Or is there still hope?
he takes a deep breath. The air dances with energy. I feel the gods watching. They would not watch a foregone conclusion.

Watch me, my gods. Pay attention, my father. I will make you proud this day.
Daveth places his mask firmly in place. Confident, piercing eyes, jaw firm, back straight. He controls the speed of his breathing through will and stills his twitching hands. I'm ready.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon May 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Theomore arrived with the rest of the Tullisons, having a somewhat ominous feeling regarding what this might be about, for certain there was little else the Coldbrooks might have cause for ire over that he could think of. He carries the longsword by his side, as is his right as a knight. As it is not his place to speak, he remains silent, but with an inquisitive look towards Ser Jorah who had called the meeting....

[Not too inclined to wait any longer for Dunstan to post, though he should be present afaik]
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Mon May 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Dunstan breaths loudly through his nostrils like an angry bull, "
They, it was this , this Daveth that accused you uncle - for killing their boy and many others too"
he whispered to Theomore as they approached. Being just back from his nightly stroll to the lake he wore nothing but ordinary clothes, covered in mud stains and colored green by grass.

Calming down a bit, reminding himself that it is not very lordly to lash out in anger at any queer "
master"
he took a side by uncle's side.

"
Greetings Ser Jorah"
he greeted the knight.

"
I came to honor our agreement from last night. Daveth Colbbrook - this here is my uncle Theomore Tullison - would you mind telling him what you told me that day in the Godswood?"
Dunstan says trying to settle down the tremble in his voice.

OOC: Sorry you waited, was out camping.

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon May 04, 2015 10:06 pm

"
Lord Tullyson, Ser Theomore."
Daveth greets them, voice carefully controlled. "
If such is your wish, Lord Tullyson. I will."
and Daveth turns to face Ser Theomore Tullyson. Face to face for the first time.

Such an ordinary face, to mask such evil. I can't afford to focus on that. Facts, Daveth! Just the facts.

Daveth gently lets his eyes slightly lose focus, to make remaining dispassionate easier. "
Ser Theomore, what I said to your Lord nephew when we happened upon each other in the Godswood around dusk two days prior was this: I gave my name, I informed him of my relation to Joren, as well as the fact that you'd killed him last year. And I stand by that statement. Since you directly caused his death by hitting him with your lance, it is the most suitable term that is totally supported by the facts available to all. Since I am unaware of your other activities, I further clarified that if"
a subtle emphasis on the word "
there were any ambiguity on the matter, I was referring to the incident at the Twins.

"
At that point, your nephew became enraged, attempted violence until discouraged by his guards, and instead yelled that he intended vengeance upon me for my words, then departed."
Daveth's words are calm, slow, controlled. The tone of a professional witness, dispassionate observing events.

"
I was not aware that your Lord Nephew was unaware of these events, and I appreciate that hearing about them that way was bound to be emotional. Had I considered the possibility that the event was unknown to him, I would have provided more context for my comments. That oversight was mine, and I apologise for it."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon May 04, 2015 11:09 pm

"
An accident of the most tragic sort would be the more informative description of what happened that day, master Daveth, but I do not disagree in so far that I did kill him."
Theomore had never wished for that to happen, and the thought did sadden him, an emotion that a man keeping an open mind might notice, but one who's heart had been hardened might discard it as a false face or dismiss it as something else entirely. "
None of this is unknown at Mountain's Reach, but it would seem odd to me that you had to point out this fact when simply stating that Joren was your brother would have sufficed, and from what I hear, you did accuse me of killing other boys as well? "
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Mon May 04, 2015 11:13 pm

"
I know very well what happened, but accidents tend to happen to boys when they try to play jousting with knights! It was whoever let him ride that day that is at fault!"
Dunstan couldn't help but shout.

"
If I am to jump of a cliff and die, it is mine own fault not the cliff's, is it not?!?"

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue May 05, 2015 12:04 am

Well, he's as good an actor as I'd expect from one of his womanising reputation. But it was never his competence that was in doubt.

At Ser Theomore's last comment, Daveth frowns, in mixed confusion and anger as his eyes snap into focus, before he regains himself and returns his face to its placid mask. "
No. Absolutely not. All I commented was as I said. I will admit I did not assume there were no other incidents that year that might cause confusion, hence my clarification that *if*"
the emphasis is slightly clearer this time "
there were any confusion, I was referring to the incident at the Twins. As your Maester no doubt taught you when you were young, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I try and live remembering this and avoid making assumptions not supported by the evidence available.

"
And as for your comment about my odd behaviour, I find it perfectly normal. With no messages of any sort from the Tullyson camp regarding the event, we have no means to judge your knowledge of or feelings on the matter. And when the first contact between family members since begins as if the event never happened, a simple statement that it did gives the opportunity to make your house's feelings on the matter explicit."
Which, given that you've just said you knew about it, it did, *very* clearly.

Turning to Lord Tullyson after his outburst, Daveth continues, in his same calm tones. "
Lord Tullyson. We can cast blame back and forth all day. That is not why I'm here. We have two paths open to us. In one - the easy path - we do precisely that. And with each accusation and consequential event, we become more and more like the Blackwoods and Brackens, and there is enough of that madness in the Riverlands already, and we have less excuse, for we have precedent to learn from.

"
But there is another path. A harder path. But it is the one I feel we should take. It is, I feel, fair to say, that our houses have had as bad a first impression of each other as it's possible to have. If we both remain with our eyes on the past, that anchor will drag both our families down to the hells. But we have nothing good between us, it is all just pain, hate, and loss. So, let's change that. Let us put our mutual past where it belongs, behind us, cast our eyes to the future, and begin anew with actions that will form a legacy that will last long after Joren's death has become nothing more than piece of historical trivia."
And Ser Theomore's- No! Focus, Daveth!

"
Lord Tullyson, what I propose is simple: you provide to us official recognition that Castle Grenward belongs to House Coldbrook, which is a simple administrative matter that has simply not been seen to yet. This will provide us with security in our home, and for as long as we live in that castle, it will be known that the Tullysons helped us secure it.

"
In exchange, we offer you technical support for you to have your own godswood in Mountain's Reach, for which we will in addition cover 20% of the cost. I imagine you were there that night because you discovered it was a calming and relaxing place to be, regardless of if you're a believer or not. In this way, you will also have something lasting, in which you can form endless more pleasant memories to drown out the one unpleasant one of our initial meeting. And as your children and grandchildren play there, they will understand it as a statement of how two houses can overcome even the worst of first impressions.

"
And"
a barely-perceptible hesitation "
both of us will put the past aside. It happened. We can't change that. All we can change is how we react to it. And the less we focus on it, and bring it up, and stew on it, the better our futures will be."

Well, here it is Daveth. The moment of truth. Can you give it, and will he take it?

Daveth extends a hand towards Lord Tullyson, a small, professional smile on his face. "
Hello. My name is Daveth Coldbrook. It is my pleasure to meet you for the first time. I am unfamiliar with your house. Can you tell me of it?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Tue May 05, 2015 12:13 am

Dunstan awkwardly stares into the outreached hand with a perplexed look on his face.

"
I.. I do appreciate your willingness to make peace, but we are not here to talk about percents, ledgers and recognistions. Besides, that is a matter you need to speak to Lord Tully about - not me. Anyways, what we are here about is your allegations toward my uncle. He is here, you are here - so talk."
Dunstan says, now calmer but very confused.

Hesitating a bit he does shortly shakes Daveth's hand but says nothing while doing so.

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue May 05, 2015 12:22 am

Daveth nods at the calmed Lord Tullyson as he shakes Daveth's hand. "
Lord Tullyson, the Tullys have already recognised our claim as legitimate, they simply stated that we should seek agreement from other houses to ratify the matter. 'Tis a simple thing, but would mean much.

"
And as for my accusations against your uncle, I believe them answered. The only 'accusation' I made was that he killed my younger brother, which he admitted just now is absolutely true. Further, I do not view that as an accusation, for that implies a crime definitely took place, rather it was an observation of the commonly-known facts.

"
And I deny most strenuously"
in a voice that remains utterly calm "
that I ever claimed he'd killed other boys as well. As I said, I have no evidence nor testimony either way, so it would be wrong of me to make any assumptions on that matter."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue May 05, 2015 12:27 am

"
Oh, that is where you are wrong, master Daveth."
Theomore studies the young man, well, boy sounds more like it. "
I did attempt to offer my condolences to Lord Tomas at the twins, but he told Ser Narbert Frey quite clearly that he would have no words from me, so I found it prudent to oblige that wish."

"
I can accept your word that you did not intend to make allegations about other boys, but I have difficulty believing your claim that you did not utter words to that effect when I know my lord nephew to be a honest man, and you do not appear to have your facts in order."

[url=Awareness(Empathy) to get a read on Daveth][/url]: 3d6 7

Bloody horrible roll.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue May 05, 2015 12:49 am

"
A death in the family affects more than just the father, Ser Theomore. While I will freely admit I was unaware of your attempt, the fact remains that my meeting with your Lord Nephew was an ideal opportunity for him to ensure your offer of condolences was passed on. By your words, my Lord father only said that *he* would hear no words from you.

"
You accept my intent, Ser Theomore? Then let me propose this. Your Lord nephew is clearly still rather incensed by the matter, you can surely imagine how wroth he was at the time. And were one so angry, it would be easy for one to honestly miss hearing the word 'if', or mishear it as something else. And were one to miss that 'if', I freely admit the entire meaning of my sentence would change.

"
So, what is more possible, do you say? That an angry man misheard slightly, or that a man as careful as I would say words so contrary to his intent? I say the former, and that requires no dishonesty on either party's part."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Tue May 05, 2015 12:56 am

"
You speak of crime my kin committed. We say it is an accident. I can't negotiate with men who call my own blood criminals."
Dunstan said.

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue May 05, 2015 1:06 am

Daveth looks at Lord Tullyson for a couple of seconds before responding. "
No, Lord Tullyson, I do not. I never mentioned the word 'crime' in our first meeting, and the only times I have used it in this one is in this sentence, and when I denied my comments were an accusation, for an accusation presupposes a crime, which the evidence does not support. So, I have done precisely the opposite of what you claim."
he turns to Ser Theomore. "
Do you agree, Ser Theomore?"

And thank you, Lord Tullyson, for proving my point in such a well-timed manner.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue May 05, 2015 1:13 am

"
One choosing his words as carefully as you would not likely do that, no.."
Theomore agrees, to a point. "
Yet you do seem to quite carefully avoid the use of the word accident, and a man choosing his words carefully would avoid picking ones so open to interpretation that my lord nephew might take another meaning than the one you claim to be intended, unless of course, that was intentional..."
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Tue May 05, 2015 1:21 am

"
Aye, say right here that what happened at the Twins was an accident as it was and I'll apologize for lashing out in the Woods and buy you a drink tonight."

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue May 05, 2015 2:05 am

"
Killing is killing, Ser Theomore. It makes no judgements, no statement of intent, it is a simple statement of fact. It is as unambiguous a word as I know. Likewise, the word 'if' is similarly clear in its meaning. 'If there is confusion, this is what I mean' - again, as clear as I know how to make. If there is a way to make these words less open to interpretation, I do not know it."

Daveth calmly turns to Lord Tullyson. Well, Daveth. You knew it would come to this eventually. "
How can I do that, Lord Tullyson? I was in the maester's tent when the event happened. I witnessed nothing before my brother's body's arrival there, and I know of no way to prove intent. Were I to state definitively it was an accident, I would feel as dishonest as if I were to claim it were murder. Is that how you want our new start to begin? With deceit? Such a shaky foundation would never last. I look at you, and tell you now that it is a firm belief of mine that solid foundations are built on truth.

"
And that is why I want the whole event put aside. My claiming something it's impossible to prove won't heal our house, won't fix the wound between our houses. It may be covered for a time, but underneath, it will be festering until the whole limb will have to be chopped off.

"
Lord Tullyson. My brother is *dead*. I hear that at some point the pain becomes something you start to believe you can eventually come to live with, but I've not gotten to that point yet. And yet, I am not going around screaming 'murder', because the facts don't support that claim. Instead, I am asking you for peace. I am accepting the things that cannot be changed. Please, Lord Tullyson. I will bow my head to you if it will help, but please, accept the same. Accept that to fixate on this event, to demand a total victory, beyond what the impartial evidence supports, is to doom both our houses to a dire future. Please, I ask you one more time. Accept my hand"
he extends his hand again, "
and agree for us all to put this behind us, and build a better future, together."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Tue May 05, 2015 12:05 pm

Ser Jorah sighed quietly and considered his words before speaking. Tempers were close to fraying and this could lead to tragedy if they were all not careful. He made a heartfelt plea to end this;

“The truth of the matter is that Joren Coldbrook entered the tourney when he should not have done, and that in a legitimate joust, he was killed, however accidentally, by Ser Theomore.” He fixed all three in turn with a look. “None of this is in dispute.”

“It was known by Joren Coldbrook died and Ser Theomore, you have admitted that you knew that the boy you jousted was Joren. I commend that you tried to offer your condolences to Lord and Lady Coldbrook, but having just lost their son, neither were ready to see you.”

“However, the death of the heir of a house at the hands of another house, which you represented at the Tourney, Ser Theomore, has not been addressed between House Coldbrook and House Tullison. You can understand that the appearance could be taken that House Tullison does not care about what happened, a fact from meeting you Lord Tullison, I believe is not the case. You would not have been so angry at what Daveth said if you did not.”

“Pointless feuds like the Brackens and Blackwoods have started for less and brought nothing but blood and heartache for those involved. Neither of our houses wants nor can afford a feud that will last for generations, with untold bloodshed. Neither house wants to be remembered just for something that can be avoided!” He purposefully brought up the recent conflict;
reminding them that feud was unlikely to end without the destruction of one of the houses involved and would blight their houses forever.

“The grief of a parent should not be underestimated, nor the grief of a brother.” He placed his hand of Daveth’s shoulder, both reassuring and protecting him and also to hold him, a sign not to do anything rash or stupid. “They feel the loss of Joren, as I am sure you would too, Lord Tullison, and it can lead to instances like the Godswood. So far, anything that has happened is just words and those can be taken back.”

“Here at the water’s edge, this should end;
let the water symbolise a new beginning between our houses. Daveth Coldbrook has offered a symbol between our Houses to show a new found friendship. I hope that Lord Tullison will accept the offer in the spirit of friendship and fresh start that it is intended.”

“With regards your other worry, House Tully has agreed to recognise House Coldbrook’s claim to Castle Grenward, so the cost to House Tullison to show support is merely an affirmation of friendship. What better way to begin a new era!”

He was not naive, he knew that feelings were simmering that could result in death, but his choice was clear;
prevent a needless war and try to see House Coldbrook prosper rather than ground down in a pointless feud. Lord Tullison he believed could be convinced for their houses to move forward, rather than be drawn into conflict.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Tue May 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Dunstan was bored by long speeches Ser Jorah and Daveth insisted on. Looking for a true solution rather than mercurial rhetorics he said, now in a calm clear fashion:

"
This is my last offer:

You will swear Daveth, in the Godswood, never again to accuse Theomore of murder - and I will offer you the support of House Tullison in your efforts. If you do not want to do that, we will not attack or harm anyone, Riverlands have enough conflicts as it is - but don't expect us to provide support than. Is that agreeable to you?"

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue May 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Daveth releases a sigh of relief, clearly visible through a crack in his professional mask. Thank the gods. He finally sees reason. "
Lord Tullyson. Thank you. In response to your demand, I accept. I will swear here, in the godswood, even in the sept if it would help, that I have never, am not, and will never accuse Ser Theomore of the murder of Joren."
There's nothing to say I can't simply pass along any evidence I find, without comment, should I somehow do so, after all.

"
So, with that agreed, you accept my offer of the mutual gestures, to try and build something positive between us? And we all try and put the past behind us, and move on?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Tue May 05, 2015 12:52 pm

"
Aye"
Dunstan says and shakes his hand. "
Uncle, is this acceptable to you?"

Turning back to Daveth

"
I am sorry for angering quickly that day Daveth. Shall we go somewhere else and discuss the political matters you mentioned here today?"

Dunstan goes over the gate with his other hand "
This is hardly the location for such talks I believe"
he says and flashes a tiny smirk.

"
As a sign of good will, me and several other people will agree to visit you at your tents. I will need Ser Ben with me of course, and others.."

OOC: We can move it over to LM if you want?

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Tue May 05, 2015 1:00 pm

"
Perhaps talk along the way to the Pavilions."

Ser Jorah was relieved things had not gone as badly as he feared.

ooc

Both Daveth and I are already in another thread LM, so relocate without actually changing thread

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue May 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Daveth's smile widens as he finally gets the handshake he was after. He makes a dismissive gesture at Lord Tullyson's apology. "
Please, Lord Tullyson, think nothing of it. Love of family, while it may make us act rashly on occasion, is no vice in my book."

(OOC: What Ser Jorah said. This part shouldn't take that long, anyway. Hopefully.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Tue May 05, 2015 1:24 pm

"
Than let's walk."
Dunstan says.

"
First thing first, I will gladly provide the official recognition for your family's castle. Think of it as lending political support, there is no need for you to give us anything in return. Lord Stark gave the castle to your family and Lord Tully recognizes you claim - I will do the same as mine own betters."
he says.

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Tue May 05, 2015 5:22 pm

"
Ah, yes, your proposal"
Theomore was not about to let Dunstan too readily agree to that one. "
I fear that it would be rather neglectful to our people if we were to expend the effort required to establish a godswood, even if House Coldbrook were to offer some assistance."
With Dunstan, people usually were the best selling point to make.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next