Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D3, EA] Corrine writes to Gareth (Open)

2 posters

Go down

[D3, EA] Corrine writes to Gareth (Open) Empty [D3, EA] Corrine writes to Gareth (Open)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon May 04, 2015 11:28 pm

After returning from her jaunt with Ben and Ellie, Corrine returned to the Marsten pavilion, to ready for the feast. Before she did so, she sat down to write a letter to Gareth, back at Hartshorn.

"
My dear Gareth,

I have arrived safely at Riverrun, and I write to you on the day of the Great Feast. I am enjoying the pageantry of it all. There are many interesting people here. Mother is being her usual self, though I am coping so far. I have encountered an old friend of the family, Ser Benedict Blackthorne, who is here with his sister. It is strange to see how much he has changed, but he seems happy, and set to do well in the competitions. Almost everyone else is new to me though. Thankfully, everyone I have spoken to thus far has been most gracious. Mother almost had a fit that I spoke to an Ironborn. They are having a rather unpleasant dispute at the moment, so I intend to keep a safe distance, but the two I have met seemed like remarkably reasonable folk. You know how mother guards me though, against all but the mildest breeze. I miss you, and I hope it shall not be too long before I can come home. I hope all is well at Hartshorn. If you could reply to this letter, I would be most grateful.

Yours faithfully,

Corrine"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D3, EA] Corrine writes to Gareth (Open) Empty Re: [D3, EA] Corrine writes to Gareth (Open)

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 1:34 am

On her way from a general inspection of the Marsten camp to join the feast, Dyana barely notices Corrine sitting by a tent, intent on writing something. What, or to whom, was not her concern, but it had been some time since they last spoke. In fact, they'd never spoken too much on all these years, despite the contradictory distance which they lived from each other. Now, she mused, is as good a time as any.

"
Cousin?"
Dyana tried not to be too intrusive on her interruption, readying a smile for Corrine when she turned to meet her.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D3, EA] Corrine writes to Gareth (Open) Empty Re: [D3, EA] Corrine writes to Gareth (Open)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 1:43 am

Corrine looked up with curiosity, and then seeing who it was, smiled warmly and laid down her quill.

"
Dyana! How lovely to see you! How are you?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 1:48 am

Dyana beams openly, with even a hint of surprise, at Corrine's warm reaction. "
I... well, I'm fine! Made it to the camp early in the morning. And you, Corrine?"
She's discrete enough not to glance at the quill and the letter. "
How did you endure being here for two whole days already?"
She tries to adjust her posture to accommodate a greeting hug, but isn't too sure if she should go for the whole thing and embrace her cousin. She always felt a little awkward around Corrine, as if they were expected not to see each other at all, and she half-expected her to pick up the hint and either come, or... well, she isn't sure what she's doing anymore.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 1:58 am

Corrine notes the open stance her cousin took, and decides that, after not seeing her in so long, an embrace was certainly appropriate. She stands and hugs Dyana gently, then offers a seat beside her.

"
Mostly by avoiding mother,"
she answers with a small laugh and an eye roll, though there is an undertone of seriousness in her voice. "
Have you announced your arrival to her yet?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 2:09 am

"
Not really. As it stands, it seems I share your talent at evading her."
Dyana returns the chuckle as she sits, inwardly glad that the hug didn't last longer. "
I will talk to aunt Isobel as soon as I can, though. I don't imagine she'll be too happy if I lurk in the shadows for the entire tourney."
With a sigh, she eases her posture on the seat a slight, and looks at her cousin as if appraising her for the first time since she arrived.

"
You look different, Corrine. It's not even been that long since we met, but you've... grown."
She eyes Corrine with gentle interest, more comfortable now than a moment before. Her tone leaves no doubt that she referred not to stature, but character.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 2:33 am

"
Yes, you probably should present yourself soon, or she will think something is amiss. She is even more prickly than usual now that we're here, and I fear we had a quarrel earlier that exacerbated the tension. I'd tread carefully if I were you, she is unlikely to be in the best of tempers."

She smiled shyly when Dyana says she has grown.

"
Thank you. I feel like I have changed quite a bit in the past year. Mother would say for the worse, I expect, but I feel more like my own person, and I like it. You look very well! What have you been up to? Will you be taking part in any tourney events?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 2:45 am

Dyana makes an aggravated face when Corrine mentions her mother being in bad temper. "
I thought I might be lucky to catch her in a good moment. I hope she isn't prone to lashing out when I do talk to her..."
her sight narrows and her cheeks rise as if in pain only by imagining the prospect.

When the topic changes, however, her face lowers so much she nearly deadpans. She leans closer to her cousin, nearly whispering. "
Well, as a matter of fact, I will. I've been... preparing. But you know how these things are, no one here would like to see me partaking - imagine your mother!"
Dyana glances to the sides, then tones down even more. "
You can't tell to any, Corrine, but I have entered as mystery knight."
She raises her brow at the girl, almost immediately regretting having confided this. "
I... I need only to purchase a horse for the joust. I can't bear to risk Breaker."

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 2:59 am

"
Try to get her after she's been with Ser Jon Cobb. She'll likely be cheerier then,"
Corrine remarked with a wry, knowing smirk. "
Or at least less like a wicked witch."

Corrine lets out a little gasp at Dyana's confession, and grins wickedly.

"
Oh Dyana! That's brilliant! I wish you the best of luck then! I swear I won't tell a soul! Oh, how very exciting!"

She caught herself in her excited babbling, and composed herself.

"
I confess, I am somewhat envious. It looks like such fun. But, well... you know how it is."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 3:08 am

Dyana tried to repress a smirk at her cousin's excitement, but it catches on to her and she can't help but let out a muffled chuckle. "
Don't be envious, you fool!"
She begins as her mirth fades, still beaming. "
It's dangerous, so very dangerous. I'm still wondering whether it was a good decision. I've never actually jousted before, and I'm not that experienced on horseback, either. I fear I might be unhorsed at the onset, if only that."
She grimaces a bit, then shakes her head briefly. "
I'm looking forwards to the Grand Melee, though. That should be fun indeed. Imagine what would happen were a woman to win? That could have implications."

She realizes how much she's talking, all of a sudden. Not too many moments before she barely wanted to talk to Corrine, and not two minutes into the conversation she already made her cousin a confident, and they're here laughing and... was she always this approachable?

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 3:26 am

"
I'm sure you will do fine,"
Corrine reassured. "
You've always seemed so strong and capable, to me anyway. And if you are unhorsed, well, it's not like you will be the only one. Every champion was green at some point. It would be such a riot to see the men's faces if you won the melee too!"

Corrine grinned at the thought.

"
I know the jousting and melee are dangerous, as entertaining as they are to observe. I wish I could join in with the archery or the riding though. I can but dream, I suppose."

Her mirth calmed, and she smiled warmly and sincerely at Dyana.

"
I am glad you told me this. It will be all the more fun to watch! And it is good to have a proper conversation. It's never as relaxed when mother or the guardsmen are hanging over me."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 3:36 am

Dyana loses herself in staring at Corrine for a moment, drifting between surprise and appreciation. At last, she reaches up and softly fondles a stray strand of her cousin's hair, smiling back at her. "
Thank you, Corrine, for not thinking ill of me. It means a lot."
The woman's hand glides down slowly and sits atop her lap before she begins tugging at the sleeves of her uncharacteristically proper gown.

"
Hey, I'm sure you could try archery one day, when your mother and the guardsmen are not hanging over you as much. It's hardly the most difficult competition to join."
She glances over her shoulder for anyone nearby, and then changes subject entirely. "
Cousin, what about your suitors? Is aunt Isobel pushing anyone on you? Or, as always, pushing them away? Do you have eyes for someone?"

Last edited by 161 on Thu May 07, 2015 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 3:47 am

Corrine smiles affectionately, feeling heartened by her cousin's refreshingly candid presence.

"
Well, she seems to do both simultaneously. Mostly, she nags me to speak to marriageable men, then chastises me for not speaking to the ones she likes. Even a passing exchange of hellos with one of the Longshores had her in a strop this morning. She is throwing me at Ser Baelon Waters, but I'm really not sure about him."

Her expression shifts from a frown to an uncertain, shy look;

"
I... have noticed someone else, but I daren't say more. Mother would have a fit."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 4:08 am

Dyana presents the most knowing smile she has. "
You needn't say more. I've met Ser Baelon two or three times, and in all honesty - I can see why you'd look at someone else."
She nearly giggles to herself at the unfair insult. "
Though you do leave me curious. You know I can respect anyone's privacy, but what you are doing is simply a tease, cousin."
She perks an eyebrow and looks expectantly at Corrine in a last attempt to fish it out.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 4:21 am

Her cousin's comment affirms Corrine's uncertainty about Baelon, and she feels a relief that her hesitance is not unfounded. She seems a little uncomfortable about being pressed for more information, but she runs a hand through her hair and gives herself a mental nudge.

"
Well, you have trusted me with a secret of yours, I suppose it is only right I should return your trust. I... ran into Ser Ben Blackthorne yesterday,"
she begins to confess. "
And again this morning, in the market with his sister. He's become a fine knight, and he is ever such a kind man. He has made quite an impression on me."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 4:32 am

As Corrine speaks, Dyana's countenance turns into an expression most wide and playful, her jaw half-dropped in feigned astonishment while her cheeks jolt upwards. She holds it for a second before the semblance derails, and clears her throat before commenting. "
Don't worry, cousin, your secret is as safe in my hands as mine is in yours. And, well, Ser Benedict? I've met him too, back in Hartshorn. You want my honest opinion?"
She leans forward, covering a side of her face with her hand while speaking in a loud whisper. "
Stick with Ser Benedict!"
She nods a couple times at Corrine and straightens herself back up.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 4:47 am

Corrine's eyes widen a little, as does her bashful smile.

"
Really? I'm relieved you think so. Mother doesn't like him, but I think that is likely because he is part Blackwood. I want to take more time to be sure of myself and what I want, but I definitely want to see more of him. He's gotten quite dashing since I last saw him too."

She blushes and beams, then shakes her head at her girlish silliness.

"
Gods above, I'm grinning like a fool. I'm not used to this. Until this tourney came up, I was in comfortable obscurity. Now, I feel like I'm on parade all the time. It is good to know someone else here with whom I can be more myself."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 4:59 am

Dyana crosses her arms and pouts slightly in consideration. "
Well, I wouldn't care if he was blackwood, or whitewood, or purplewood for that matter. If he gets you grinning like that, then I think that matters more, as long as he's not a complete fool. I don't actually want our house to falter either."

"
Oh, and please, please, please be yourself with me."
She gestures a hand forward repeatedly. "
I can barely deal with the people here being who they are. If everyone starts acting like two or three different people, I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed by personages. I was never very good at dealing with others of our birth, or higher. Every word is a dagger waiting to be thrust."

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 5:17 am

"
I quite agree, there is far too much dishonesty and scheming. It may be idealistic of me, but I truly think many things would be better if people were just honest with eachother and tried to resolve matter in mutual respect and compassion. But, I suppose that there is a reason the world is not run by such people."

She shrugs resignedly.

"
I don't want our House to fall any further than it has either. Knowing its fate is in my hands is a burden I cannot avoid, much as I wish it would see to itself,"
she sighed. "
I will do all I can to see us restored to greatness, but knowing it may be at a deep personal cost preys upon me."

She tilts her head enquiringly as she looks at her cousin;

"
What would you do, if you were in my place? Would you sacrifice your own happiness to keep the House afloat?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 5:27 am

Dyana simply stares at her cousin for a moment, her mind wandering at a response. This could be an important moment. What if she influenced her to a course of action? The fate of the house was, in fact, in Corrine's hands, and depended on her actions. She'd have to choose her next words carefully.

She didn't, though.

"
I think... not, Corrine. I can't quite place myself at your position, as I've distanced myself from such matters years ago, but... in all honesty, I'd see to myself first. It's what I've been doing my whole life - following my own path, and not that which was laid out for me. There are no great plans and designs to my name as there are to yours, cousin, but there might as well."
She stops for a moment, as if letting the words sink in, and finishes at last. "
My happiness wouldn't com from marrying a fool, though, so our house would be safe with me."
She smiles warmly, studying Corrine's face.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 5:36 am

As Dyana describes her life as her own woman, being master of her own destiny, Corrine looks on with deep admiration, taking every word into her heart like lifeblood itself. In so many ways, it is exactly what she wants to hear. When Dyana finishes, Corrine nods sagely;

"
Thank you for that counsel, cousin. I greatly appreciate it. You have confirmed much of what I already felt in my soul. If I can reconcile my desires with the good of the House, I will do it without hesitation, but I should not be content to live a life that is coldly plucked out for me. We can only hope the Gods are feeling generous towards us in such things, and brings us the fortunes we seek."

She takes a deep breath and exhales heavily, as though releasing a great tension from her body.

"
I did not realise how much these thoughts were weighing on me. I thank you for letting me bend your ear. I hope it has not been a nuisance to you."

There was a hint of the shy, acutely polite girl that Dyana knew from before.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 5:47 am

Dyana listens intently to Corrine's words, at the same time appreciating that her cousin would try and stand up for herself and wondering what she had done. In the end, she feels this was the right thing to say, whatever the consequences. She appreciates honesty, and being honest to oneself is important above all else.

"
It was my pleasure to hear you, cousin."
The woman grips Corrine's shoulder and gives it a light budge in a brotherly fashion. "
And not a nuisance. I hope you can find your own way amidst these hardships, for your path is so much more subtle than mine. I don't envy the task."

She lingers in that position for a moment after speaking, considering something else to say. "
I regret having never shared a good conversation with you before. I feel we could have both eased our struggles with each other long ago. I'm glad for this tourney for this, at least."
Dyana then stands up and prepares to leave, a honest smile still imprinted on her lips. "
Remember to look for the Knight of Stones, will you?"
She winks at Corrine.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 07, 2015 5:55 am

"
Well, late is better than never,"
Corrine replies with a little smile.

Dyana's wink makes her giggle again, and she winks back.

"
I will definitely look out for that one!"
she says knowingly, and waves to her cousin before she turns and walks away.

Her spirits lifted considerably, Corrine returns to finishing her letter.

[/scene]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down