Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 4. LA] Looking Down from Her High Tower (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[Day 4. LA] Looking Down from Her High Tower (Closed) Empty [Day 4. LA] Looking Down from Her High Tower (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon May 11, 2015 7:36 pm

Nathan was terrified, although he tried his level best not to show it. The Grandmaester was there, so that helped a bit.

He tried to analyze the situation. Logical calculations calmed him. She did not look particularly frightening. In fact she was very attractive, even given her age. She was still slender and graceful, even after the birth of four children. She reminded him a bit of Lady Ayleth, although far more practiced, so appearing far more natural.

Why should he be afraid? He thought. She bore him no ill-will. He was speaking the the truth as he knew it. She was just person like any other.

But she wasn't 'just another person'. She was Her Grace Alicent Hightower, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms.

When the Grandmaester had dragged him before her (dragged was not really true, but it felt that way) a dark gnawing in his stomach had steadily increased.

It was there now, and Nathan was devoting a large amount of energy not to let it show.

He had relayed what he'd said to the Grandmaester.

She had asked questions. Insightful questions. The woman was clever.

She had NOT asked the one most obvious question. 'How did you come by this knowledge?' Neither had Orwyle, come to think of it.

Finally she fell silent, thinking. Nathan was silent, waiting.

Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[Day 4. LA] Looking Down from Her High Tower (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 4. LA] Looking Down from Her High Tower (Closed)

Post by Reader Thu May 14, 2015 4:31 pm

"
We are both impressed by your tale and also honoured to be among the first to hear it,"
says Queen Alicent playfully.

"
But the tale itself only leads to more questions. How did it come to pass that a young man came to be before, well spoken and of a keen mind, yet never having even seen House Hightower's Citadel, yet alone set foot in it?"

"
My old family may claim to light the way, but illumination can come from the most unexpected sources. I dare say this shall prove almost as interesting a tale as what we have had already."
"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[Day 4. LA] Looking Down from Her High Tower (Closed) Empty Re: [Day 4. LA] Looking Down from Her High Tower (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Thu May 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Nathan looked at the ground for a long moment, pondering the Queen's question.

"
You are my Queen, your Grace. Out of respect to you, I will give you the unedited version."

"
I was born in the Crownlands. My Father was a skilled mason. I know little of my Mother. She died in child birth, as many do. I don't think my Father ever forgave me for that, or that I had her eyes."

"
When I was six, my Father sold me to a minor nobleman. The man thought I was beautiful."
Nathan notes the look on the Queen's face. "
Yes, everyone I tell usually responds with that look. However, no man is any one thing, and for all his flaws he was a kind man. While he may have desired me, he also introduced me to the life of nobility and educated me very well. Compared to what he asked of me, I assure you I gained much more in the bargain."

"
For the next six years, I grew up in his Household. Like the Grandmaester, I have an innate and voracious curiosity. I like puzzles, and unsolved puzzles nag at me. I cannot say I was ever studious. While I can devour several books in a sitting that interest me, I tend to completely ignore what doesn't. Luckily, most things interest me to some degree. I am familiar with many things, from fighting with weapons to proper table settings, although I cannot claim to be an expert at anything. I quickly learned how to skim books to pick out the passages that were important while ignoring the passages that were rhetoric. That skill eventually crossed over into other areas."

"
When I was twelve my master died, poisoned by a rival. There will be some that say he deserved what he got, the woman that poisoned him certainly would, but like many in this world, she clothed her evil in morality and religious fervor. She told herself what she did was just, but I have never known true justice to require deception, greed or murder. I had considered exacting revenge, but there would have been no point. Her death would not bring my master back and her death would have brought great suffering to others."

"
So, I gathered my things and what money I could;
fleeing Highgarden for more quiet lands. House Bartheld lands were known for their hospitality and relaxed morals. They seemed the perfect choice. I took employment at the Rutting Boar. At the time, it was a dilapidated hovel. The Madam that ran the place had a good heart and was extremely protective of her charges, but she had very little business sense and even less experience with the nobility. Over the next four years I turned the Boar from a flea ridden garret into one of the premiere pleasure houses in the Riverlands. I also made myself extremely wealthy in the process."

"
Of course, had I known at the time House Bartheld would be split by such bitter politics, I am not sure I would have chosen them. But they are, and I am there. so I needed to make a choice. The choice was simple really. Lord Davain represents the possibility of social ruination and Ser Fendrel represents the possibility of financial ruination. Faced with such a choice, I deduced that financial ruination would hurt the greater number of people. I could have done nothing and let the fates take their course. My wealth would certainly shield me from much of the outcome, but the people have no such shield and I could not stand by when I had the power to at least try and protect them. It is the nobles and the Knights of the realm that often make all the decisions, but is the common people that often pay the high price for those decisions."

Nathan gave a small, self-concioius smile. "
That is the gist of my life thus far. I doubt it is a life I would have chosen, but it is a life I have chosen to excel at. If the Seven have decided that I am to spend my life as a whore, then I will be the best whore that I possibly can be, and I will stack my accomplishments against any from another walk of life."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat May 16, 2015 12:09 am

"
My thanks for your tale. It is more diverting than half of the singers that attend court, and that is no slight on their verses."

"
A man from the people and for the people too, if there's truth to this?"

[OOC:[url=Awareness (Empathy)][/url]: 6d6k4 14 - Queen Alicent has a keen eye, and judges Nathaniel's character truly. Indeed, she judges Nathaniel has left out part of the tale, but allows him his mystery]

"
The grandmaester has relayed your requests to me, and rest assured that matters shall be handled discreetly."

"
The throne always needs keen eyes and ears, and mouths that know when to be quiet. Should threats to peace and stability arise, simply write the grandmaester."

She smiles, lighting up the room.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down