Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 2: Late Night] To sleep, perchance to dream (read only)

Go down

[Day 2: Late Night] To sleep, perchance to dream (read only) Empty [Day 2: Late Night] To sleep, perchance to dream (read only)

Post by Jon Cobb Thu May 14, 2015 3:31 pm

He's back in Lys. It's night. A sea breeze blows through the marble-columned room, cooling the hot evening air.

A slender, raven-haired young woman of uncommon beauty stands before a window seat, tears streaming from her emerald green eyes.

”You promised!” she sobs. ”You gave me your word that you'd take me with you!”

”Jo, please. I did everything I could to raise the money, I swear it,” he answers, his voice breaking with emotion. ”I begged, I cajoled, I threatened. I offered to tell the Magisters everything I know about the Prince's plans, if they would just pay the price for your release, but they just laughed at me, Jo – they laughed! I sent a letter to Stonehelm, begging them to reconsider the ransom, but your uncle didn't even bother with a reply!” He pleads with her to forgive him – she must understand that there was nothing more he could have done! Surely she understands?

She doesn't. The tears still roll down her cheeks, but her face is stone, her voice ice cold fury. ”You worthless piece of gutter trash. I gave myself to you, body and soul. I trusted you when you said that you could take me away from here, and now you dare come and tell me that your ransom is paid, but I'll be a slave for the rest of my life! I should have known that you're just like all the others. You never cared for me - all you ever wanted was a cheap fuck, you lying sack of shit!”

Now it's him who's crying. ”No, Jo, please don't say that! I love you - I'd do anything for you! Look, I'll be back, I promise. If I can't raise the gold, I'll bring men – we'll get you out if I have to kill every last motherfucker in Lys! I swear it!”

He steps forward to take her in his arms, but she recoils in disgust. And just like that his beloved Jo is gone, replaced once more by the cool disdain of the Black Swan. ”Touch me and I'll call the guards. Our business here is concluded - you will leave at once, and never come back. I never want to see you again.”

It feels like his heart is being torn from his chest, as if there's no longer any air to breathe. ”Don't do this, Jo, I'm begging you. I won't abandon you - I'll find a way, no matter how long it takes! Don't cut me loose - you're everything to me, everything!”

”And you're nothing to me, Jon Cobb. Nothing.”

He wakes up with a start, like he always does. His heart is pounding, he can feel the tears in his eyes. He turns to look at Wylla the whore, but she's still fast asleep. The room smells of wine and lovemaking, it makes him want to puke.

He gets up and walks over to the window, throws open the shutters and takes a deep breath of fresh air. After a while he feels his breathing and his heartbeat return to normal. Closing the shutters he gets back into bed and shakes Wylla gently by the shoulder. "
Wake up Wylla, I need you again."

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down