Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Day 5, Mid Afternoon] Words over Jousting (Open-ish)

4 posters

Go down

[Day 5, Mid Afternoon] Words over Jousting (Open-ish) Empty [Day 5, Mid Afternoon] Words over Jousting (Open-ish)

Post by  Sun May 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Edmund enters the main tourney grounds and begins walking towards the stands. He is anxious to get to spend some time watching the joust and see both his Uncle and Ser Baelon. He'd only just met Baelon, but the man was likable enough and seemed to only have the interests of House Marsten, and Corrine and Gwyn, at heart. Not that he trusted hm fully, but so far the man had done nothing to arouse any suspicion.

He strolled along, in no real hurry as they seemed to be in-between tilts. And as much as he'd like to cheer for his Uncle, he was here on different business.

He studied the flags and sigils around the grounds looking for those of House Bartheld. Before he approached he needed to see who was in the stands, and more importantly, who wasn't.

He knew Ser Fendrel and Ser Jon, but he was actually looking for someone matching the description of someone named Nathaniel Mason. If he was alone, Edmund would see that a note could be delivered to him, as he was very interested in hearing the other side of the Bartheld dispute.

He eventually locates the Bartheld area and walks towards it, looking for servants that might be available. He finds a young page bearing the colors and sigil of House Bartheld and calls him over.

The boy seems nervous, not knowing Edmund, and perhaps eager to return to his duties.

"
Relax, boy."
Edmund says re-reassuringly, keeping his voice low. "
I have need of your aid in a simple task."
Looking up at the stands, he continues, "
I would like to meet with Nathaniel Mason. You know him?"

The boy nods eagerly and a tension seems to leave him. "
Yes, m'lord."

Edmund smiles and reaches into a pocket, retrieving a few silver stags. "
Simply let him know that I would like to discuss some business matters with him."
Putting the money in the boys hands, he says, "
I will stand over there, in view of the stands."
The boy starts to close his hand, accepting the coins with a nod. Before Edmund releases his grasp, Edmund halts him, and with a slight smile adds, "
Be discrete, boy."

With that he turns and walks to an open area along the stands that is in clear view.

[url=(Awareness) Looking for the Barthelds][/url]: 4d6+3 20Keeping an eye out for Fendrel and Ser Jon

OOC: Was over-thinking on this. Sorry for the edit.

Last edited by 1 on Sun May 17, 2015 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

[Day 5, Mid Afternoon] Words over Jousting (Open-ish) Empty Re: [Day 5, Mid Afternoon] Words over Jousting (Open-ish)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun May 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Corrine spotted her cousin and made her way over, sitting next to him.

"
Hello Edmund. Have you been watching long? Have I missed Ben's tilt?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[Day 5, Mid Afternoon] Words over Jousting (Open-ish) Empty Re: [Day 5, Mid Afternoon] Words over Jousting (Open-ish)

Post by  Sun May 17, 2015 8:40 pm

Watching as the page moves up into the stands towards who he assumes if Nathaniel, Edmund hears a familiar voice behind him.

He smiles warmly at Corrine, "
No Corrie, I've only just arrived."
He holds his gaze on her a bit longer, a smile curling his mouth at the mention of Ser Benedict.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun May 17, 2015 8:52 pm

"
What are you smiling about? You look rather pleased. Something I should know?"
she asked playfully.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sun May 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Nathan stands at the end of the Tourney grounds with a Knight, by his colours, Ser Jon Roxton.

Taking the note, he passes something to the page, probably a coin. He reads the note, but aside from a few exchanged words with Ser Jon, gives no other reaction.

Ser Jon moves off and Nathan enters the Knight's small arming tent.

Last edited by 119 on Mon May 18, 2015 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by  Sun May 17, 2015 11:12 pm

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:"
What are you smiling about? You look rather pleased. Something I should know?"
she asked playfully.

Edmund keeps his eyes on Nathaniel, watching him enter the knight's tent and replies to Corrine, "
You're a terrible flirt, Corrie."

Before she can reply, he continues, now a bit more serious, "
But we can discuss that later."

"
Listen."
he begins conspiratorially, "
Before we agree to support Ser Fendrel, I'd like to see what Davain my have to offer us."

He raises his eyebrows and begins walking towards the tent. Edmund the asks with a sly smile and a friendly taunt, "
Care to join me?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sun May 17, 2015 11:20 pm

She blushes and gives his arm a playfully petulant shove when he calls her a terrible flirt, but at the change of subject, her expression becomes more serious, attentive.

"
I had hoped to find out more about Davain. See both sides of the argument, as it were. If you'll have me, I'd gladly join you."

She follows him, keeping stride with him purposefully.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon May 18, 2015 12:43 am

Nathaniel is at a small table as they enter the tent, pouring himself a glass of water. Aside from the water there are various bottles of other liquids... juice, cider, ale, dry Dornish red, pale Riverlands white, and sweet Winterfel.

"
Lady Corrine, Lord Edmund."
smiles the young man. "
How can I help the Houses of Marsten and Lyras today? Some refreshment perhaps?"
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon May 18, 2015 12:48 am

Corrine curtsied in greeting.

"
Good day, Nathaniel. Some refreshment would be lovely. I trust you are well?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon May 18, 2015 1:04 am

With a slight bow of acknowledgement, Nathaniel hands her a glass of her preferred refreshment.

"
Please, call me Nathan. Everyone does."
he smiles. "
I am very well, my Lady. Thank you for asking. The archery today was extremely enjoyable and I have every hope Ser Jon will knock Ser Garibald into the dirt."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon May 18, 2015 1:07 am

"
The archery was indeed enjoyable. You did rather well. That third round looked fiendishly difficult,"
Corrine replied with a congenial smile, tipping her glass to him in salute before taking a sip from it. "
And, well, Ser Jon has been rather impressive so far. I'm sure he'll show the greenhorns a thing or two."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by  Wed May 20, 2015 1:09 am

Edmund bows in introduction to Nathaniel and is pleased that he seems to know Corrine. That should makes thing easier.

"
Greetings, Nathan. Thank you for your hospitality."
He says as he waves off a drink.

He stands by politely as Mason and Corrine exchange more pleasantries and uses the time to study the young man. Curious. I expected someone...older. No matter - it's ever wise to judge someone too rashly

"
Nathaniel - Pardon, Nathan, I very much appreciate you giving me a chance to speak with you. I have recently been invovled in a conversation with other members of your house...and through the course of this conversation, I was asked to openly support a claimant, other than your Lord Davain, as the Head of House Bartheld."

He pauses, looking for any kind of reaction, then continues with a humble shake of his head, "
While it is flattering to think my opinion matters in such a dispute, the opinion of my House, and my influence within House Marsten, is perhaps what could carry weight."

"
I am told that you support Davain."
Edmund says neatly. "
I would like to know, why?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed May 20, 2015 4:41 am

"
A direct question."
smiles Nathan. "
I shall give you a direct answer."

"
In many ways, the two men are two sides of the same coin. Both men are competent and intelligent. Both men have a deep love and interest in the House. Both men would make excellent leaders in their own way. So I had to examine their differences and where each man would lead.

1. Davain is a Green supporter, and Fendrel is a Black. I support the Queen, so naturally House Bartheld defecting to the Blacks is not something I would approve of.

2. Davain is the direct heir by blood. This is in spite of Lord Tully's feeble attempts to cast aspersions on Lord Davain's legitimacy on Fendrel's behalf in exchange for a sizable bribe. Naturally, as a Green supporter I would not approve of an Heir being stripped of his rights except in the cases of infirmity, incredible indiscretion, or incompetence.

3. Davain desires to build the foundation of his House. Fendrel desires to maintain and perhaps expand on House Bartheld's tradition of hospitality. That hospitality is certainly important and should be maintained, but perhaps not to the extravagance it has in the past. House Bartheld will not be able to continue with it's famed hospitality if the financial foundation of the House is eroded.

4. Davain feels he has a deep and abiding duty to his people. He feels a great deal of coin is wasted that could be better served in aiding the common people. The stronger his people, the stronger his House. Fendrel feels his duty is to House Bartheld's reputation and to the other nobles. He feels that cutting back on the coin spent to entertain his fellow nobles will put those friendships in jeopardy. The stronger the diplomatic ties, the stronger his House.

5. Finally, from what I have seen Lord Davain is an honorable man, while Ser Fendrel has displayed that he is willing to use less ethical means to get what he wants. He and Ser Jon twist the truth when it suits them, lie when it suits them, bribe their liege Lord when it suits them. I would support Lord Davain on that reason alone, even if I did not have the other reasons to go by."

Nathan takes a sip of his water. "
Was that helpful?"
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed May 20, 2015 11:23 am

"
Very enlightening. Thank you,"
Corrine nodded. "
As a female heir, I make no secret of supporting the Blacks, but I intend to judge this matter on more than just personal politics. Green or Black, one must put the good of the House first. Would you agree?"

Her question was directed at both of them.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed May 20, 2015 11:44 am

"
I would agree, Lady Corrine,"
replies Nathan, "
and Green or Black, I would prefer either faction over war. It is often the common people that pay the highest price for the machinations of the nobility. Lord Edmund asked my reasons, and I would be deceiving you if I pretended my politics did not play a part in those reasons. However, I can assure you that I would not be supporting Lord Davain if politics were my only reason. If the situation were reversed with Fendrel the Green and Davain the Black, I would probably still support Davain, everything else being the same."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by  Sat May 23, 2015 5:39 am

Edmund shifts his attention between the two as they speak, nodding as they finish. He arches an eyebrow, casting his gaze briefly to Corrine, then turning his full attention to Nathan.

"
I appreciate your candor, Nathan, considering we've only met. In the world of internal politics, it always pleasant to have the occasionally direct conversation."
He says, his call smile surfacing.

"
Lady Corrine is quite correct;
the strength and well-being of the house is always the priority. As such, there is a matter in the Vale which is of the utmost importance to me. As you know, the Mountain clans have always been a nuisance, however, of late they have been very bold and. ...destructive."
He looks back at Corrine, before continuing, "
To honor your time, and not obfuscate, I offer this: on the promise of my support and my ... energetic lobbying of House Marsten and House Lyras to back Davain in his leadership of House Bartheld, I would ask what you might offer in return?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat May 23, 2015 8:45 am

Nathan thought for a very long moment.

"
I will not barter with coin that House Bartheld does not have. It is well known that our House does not have a sizable military force. Lord Davain is attempting to change that, but it will take some time, and may not happen at all if he is not confirmed Lord.

However...

I am fortunate in that I have connections that may be able to assist. If these mountain clans pose a threat to the Vale, then they pose a threat to the Realm as a whole. There are many Knights here that would take such a threat seriously, and many others who would simply enjoy the opportunity to kill something. Most of them have men at their command. I can approach them and see if they are willing to assist you, perhaps persuade them to assist you, but I cannot guarantee success, either in them agreeing to assist, or in success at eliminating your problem.

I wish that I could be more concrete, but I do not wish to mislead you."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by  Sat May 23, 2015 4:35 pm

Edmund nods, listening closely to Nathan. "
I am in the same situation as you, in that certainty can sometimes be elusive."
He continues, "
If you could guarantee at minimun, one unit of troops as well as aggressively pursuing the lords you mentioned, I can promise mine own support and my sincere effort in convincing the others in House Marsten and Lyras."

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat May 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Nathan nodded. "
Yes, I can guarantee at least one unit of experienced men."
he said thoughtfully. "
but they won't come from House Bartheld. We have only the garrison that guards the lands and the guard the protects Hart House, both of which are green as grass. Neither has had to deal with anything more difficult than drunken party guests. Sending either of them would be useless to you and suicide for them."

"
To be honest, I would try to help you anyway, even without the carrot of your support. I take it that the 'damage' you gloss over is the destruction of your property and the killing of the common people. Speaking as one of the common people, I would certainly hope one of House Bartheld's numerous 'friends' would come to our aid if the situation were reversed."
by the edge in his tone, it was obvious Nathan didn't think it likely, at least not without a substantial price tag attached.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat May 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Corrine listened intently, feeling more and more like Davain was a better long-term choice.

"
Fendrel is charming enough, but he offers no solid promises, and it takes more than ingratiating onesself with nobles to keep a House afloat. Davain seems to be thinking more of the long term, and is the heir by right. If he can guarantee at least one unit for our cause, I will be happy to support his claim."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat May 23, 2015 10:16 pm

Nathan rises. "
Then we are in agreement. I shall guarantee at least one unit, and I shall try to get you more if you need them. Innocent people must be protected from the depredations of those who would prey upon the weak."

"
Now, if you will excuse me, I have some favours I need to call in. I hope to have an answer for the both of you by tomorrow morning. It has been a pleasure meeting both of you. Should either of you need my assistance in the future, do not hesitate to ask, especially if it concerns the protection and welfare of smallfolk. Most of them would very much like to live out quiet lives. I try to give them every opportunity to do so."
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat May 23, 2015 10:21 pm

"
I whole-heartedly agree, Nathan,"
Corrine replied congenially. "
It is good to meet a man of compassion. It's been a pleasure."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by  Sun May 24, 2015 12:30 am

"
Thank you for your time, Nathan."
Edmund says with a nod. "
We will have an answer on the morrow."

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Tue May 26, 2015 9:19 pm

The three exchange pleasant words as Edmund and Corrine depart, but Edmund is slightly distracted. Something had been bothering him the entire conversation;
a feeling he could not shake, a nagging in the back of his mind. It was only after they'd returned to the stands that the reason finally dawned on him.

He had heard Nathan's voice before.

The voice had been muffled and heavily disguised. The speech mannerisms had been different. The young man was obviously skilled in changing his appearance and his way of speaking. Were it not for a few half remembered phrases [and a very high Awareness roll] Edmund might never have put two and two together. While the tonal qualities were changed, the cadence was the same. The choice of words was the same. The underlying playfulness in certain parts of the conversation was the same as was the grave seriousness in other parts.

It was the voice of the dark figure he had spoken to last night.

Edmund remembered the moment he had first accosted the figure and the momentary stab of fear. It was hard to reconcile that with the elegantly dressed boy with the soft smile. No-one would fear such a boy.

Upon reflection... they probably should.

[OOC: with thanks to Edmund and Nathaniel for making this work and the latter for the text]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down