Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter

+4
Kevan Lyras
Yoren longshore
Lady Corrine Marsten
Septon Arlyn
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

[D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter Empty [D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter

Post by Septon Arlyn Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Septon Arlyn sits back at the room in the Sept, contemplating the events of the tournament. After puzzling over a few things for a while he gets out a quill and ink pot and jots down a letter to Lady Corrine, Ser Ben and Lady Isobel.

Dear Marsten family,

Due to unfortunate situation's that happened during the melee I feel compelled to contact you directly. Ser Jon, more commonly known as the wreaker, had made a deal with me regarding sending troops and supplies with as a part of the Baratheld contingent on your campaign against the clans that have been a persistent penmen problem for you. As he has unfortunately passed I am writing this letter to you so that you know that you still have House Dulver's support in this endeavor, additionally there have been arraignments made with the ironborn to provide men and support as well. I am writing you say this time in case there are any final details you wish to go over. I am not military minded myself but I'm sure that these at House Baratheld have matters well in hand.

Sincerely, Septon Arlyn

Setting the drying parchment aside Septon Arlyn scrawled out a similar message to house Baratheld noting that the ironborn will be under there command and that he had Yorens personal assurances that they would be on there best behavior whilst under their banners. He called the young boy, Percy, and had him deliver the letters. Then the Septon went back to cleaning.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

[D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter Empty Re: [D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:29 pm

Upon receiving the letter, Corrine sends letters to Baelon, Septon Arlyn, Yoren, Davain &
Fendrel Bartheld, and Edmund &
Kevan Lyras.
Where appropriate, she apologises for interrupting their preparations for departure, but the request is the same for all;

Please come to the Marsten pavilion early this evening, to discuss a matter of import regarding our forthcoming military arrangements.

She awaits those summoned in her tent with Ben, and sends a guard to ask for Lady Isobel's presence.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter Empty Re: [D9:EA] Early midday, in the wake of tragedy, a letter

Post by Yoren longshore Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:49 pm

Clad in coarse workman's clothes and leather shoes, Yoren is hauling the last of the supplies with the rest of his men when the message arrives. Yoren decides to ask for Henryk to march the men, and have Yoren himself catch up later on. Muttering to himself about greenlanders and their lack of respect for other people's schedules. For a week he'd been available, but when he has to get a group of unruly ironborn on the march THEN they want his assistance. He remembers straight up asking whether or not Corrine needed to go over the plans as late as yesterday. Coming into the tent in a hurry he straps on a tight smile telling: "
Sorry for the waiting, what do you need me for?"

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 pm

Krvan enters shortly after the ironborn, wearing a cloak in the Lyras colours. He was not in a hyrry. While some of the Marsten men were packing up their belongings as well, most would be staying for the weddings.
"
Lady Marsten, Yoren, I hope I am not late. Are there any problems with our campaign?"

He chooses a seat close to the entrance of the pavillion and sits down.

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:05 pm

Corrine greets them both with a respectful nod;

"
There is indeed a problem, which only came to my attention a few hours ago,"
Corrine replies calmly. "
I was unavoidably detained, otherwise I'd have summoned you sooner. There are a few others still to arrive. Thank you for arriving so promptly."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:53 pm

Yoren sighs, settling down into a chair and starts to draw on a piece of parchment.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:58 pm

Ben greets them both with a strained smile. One more meeting and this may be a two bottle Huntsman night.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:03 pm

Davain Bartheld stood in attendance, as serious as ever. For once his serious countenance seems appropriate. He greets each guest politely as etiquette demands, showing no sign of joy at his forthcoming marriage to Ayleth Swann. His uncle Fendrel is notable by his absence.

Lady Isobel Marsten set with her daughter's advisors, but initially seemed content to observe how her child handled matters.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:08 pm

Septon Arlyn arrives shortly after Benedict. Quite red faced from the excursion of tecking from the library to the pavilions. Taking a moment to straighten himself up before entering, Septon Arlyn entered with a smile. Nodding to reach of the others there he asks Lady Corrine. "
So did you receive my letter?"
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:05 pm

Septon Arlyn wrote:Septon Arlyn arrives shortly after Benedict. Quite red faced from the excursion of tecking from the library to the pavilions. Taking a moment to straighten himself up before entering, Septon Arlyn entered with a smile. Nodding to reach of the others there he asks Lady Corrine. "
So did you receive my letter?"

"
Indeed, hence my summoning you here,"
Corrine replies, politely, though her bearing is restrained. "
I apologise for the vagueness of my letter, but it was necessary to be expedient in the circumstances. I expect Ser Baelon and Edmund shall be along shortly, then we may begin."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:01 pm

"
Ser Walton Dulver should be arriving shortly as well. I sent a messenger to retrieve him from the Dulver's pavilions. He will be better advice on military matters then myself. "
explains the Septon.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:05 pm

Septon Arlyn wrote:"
Ser Walton Dulver should be arriving shortly as well. I sent a messenger to retrieve him from the Dulver's pavilions. He will be better advice on military matters then myself. "
explains the Septon.

"
I did not invite him,"
Corrine replies, a little curtly. I am not seeking military advice."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:10 pm

explains the Septon.

Ser Walton smiles as he strides in, almost on cue. He is a strapping figure, well over six foot tall with a mop of thick blond hair. The Dulver heir takes a seat beside the Septon, keen to offer advice on warfare but otherwise allowing the Septon to lead the debate on behalf of his house.

Hearing Lady Corrine's words as he enters he bows.

"
Forgive my lady if there was a misunderstanding, I was given to understand my counsel might be necessary on behalf of House Dulver. If this is a purely religious affair"
he glances at Yoren "
or a social call I shall withdraw."

There is no intent at deceit or intrigue on Ser Walton's face. Indeed, his father would be troubled by the blank lack of curiosity exhibited by the young knight.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:17 pm

Reader wrote:
explains the Septon.

Ser Walton smiles as he strides in, almost on cue. He is a strapping figure, well over six foot tall with a mop of thick blond hair. The Dulver heir takes a seat beside the Septon, keen to offer advice on warfare but otherwise allowing the Septon to lead the debate on behalf of his house.

Hearing Lady Corrine's words as he enters he bows.

"
Forgive my lady if there was a misunderstanding, I was given to understand my counsel might be necessary on behalf of House Dulver. If this is a purely religious affair"
he glances at Yoren "
or a social call I shall withdraw."

There is no intent at deceit or intrigue on Ser Walton's face. Indeed, his father would be troubled by the blank lack of curiosity exhibited by the young knight.

Corrine waves her hand subtly in dismissal;

"
It is quite alright, Ser Walton. Your presence is not unwelcome, merely unexpected. Good to meet you, although I wish it were under better circumstances. Perhaps you may be able to assist in shedding light on the situation, albeit in a different capacity."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:21 pm

"
Have no doubt I will endeavour to shed light, although the illumination I provide will pale in comparison to the good Septon's,"
Walton intones piously, albeit a tad ponderously.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:30 pm

Baelon sweeps into the pavilion. "
Corrine is there some prob..."

Seeing the various personages assembled, Baelon stops himself.
"
Forgive me, my lady, I did not expect such an assemblage."

He takes a seat next to Kevan.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by  Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Corrine's letter found Edmund lingering in his bed. It was early afternoon and yet, he still felt weak following days of illness. Since childhood, he suffered periodically from an affliction that would leave him bedridden, usually for only a span of a few hours, but occasionally for days. Likely the result of travel fatigue, as he had taken almost no time to rest after arriving from Essos, he could feel the malady coming upon him even before he investigated Ser Hugo, but did his best to put it out of his mind. As sharp abdominal pains, nausea and a lack of desire to eat began to wear at him, he became increasingly irritable. When he inexplicably snapped at an attendant for no cause, he finally resigned himself to his sickness, quietly informed his uncle, and retired to his tent.

His family knew from long experience that there was little to be done and that the episodes had to run their course. For days, he lay alone in his tent, visited only intermittently by servants. In calm moments, he found himself contemplating the events thus far in the tourney and frustrated that he had failed to secure an independent pair of eyes to keep him abreast of the goings on.

The letter from Corrine provided the impetus he needed to power through the lingering effects of his illness. As quickly as he could, he washed and then dressed himself in his finely made, yet understated black doublet. This he did alone, believing that if he needed an aide to dress him, that he would be of no use to Lady Corrine. After some exertion, he finally took a moment to glance at himself in the beaten silver mirror hanging in his tent. Taking in his pale complexion, he thought, Could be worse. Perk up, you miserable sod. Forcing a smile at himself, he turned and headed towards the Marsten pavillion.

It wasn't long before he arrived, and nodding at the attendant guards, he quietly entered the tent. Taking in the others that were already there, he turned his gaze to Corrine and upon seeing his old childhood compatriot now lady of House Marsten, he smiled his best boyish grin and gently bowed, "
My lady."

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:56 pm

"
Ah, good,"
Corrine greets Edmund and Baelon with a polite nod and a smile. "
I am glad to see you back on your feet, Edmund. Now, to business."

She straightens herself up and speaks with a calm authority, though there was a sharp edge to her voice, as though restraining much harsher words;

"
It was brought to my attention by the good Septon, albeit, I believe, inadvertently, that my lord Yoren has been making a number of deals with us that appear to conflict. Houses Marsten, Bartheld, and Dulver seem to all have been promised the same troops, and in the latter cases, were then promised on to House Marsten, Houses Bartheld and Dulver not knowing that he'd already promised those very men to House Marsten. "

As she continues, her tone grows frostier as her piercing blue eyes turn upon Yoren, boring into him like slivers of cold steel.

"
I have brought you all here to clear up who was promised what, and perhaps our Ironborn friend will explain why he is attempting to get paid thrice for the same job."

Last edited by 151 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:48 am; edited 4 times in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by  Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:13 pm

Edmund arches an eyebrow, and calmly looks over to Yoren, very curious for his reply. He thinks amusingly, What a fantastic time to return to the tourney.

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:16 pm

Ben watches silently, fully aware of the situation. His eyes scan the faces of the possibly offended people.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:31 pm

Baelon is taken aback.
I knew that Corrinne had arranged for a few units from Yoren... Jon mentioned that the troops he would be bringing would probably be mercenaries, maybe he hired the Ironborn? I figured he'd reform his mercenary company from the most recent Blackwood/Bracken spat... and why would House Dulver hire them?
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:49 am

Spotting Baelon and Edmund's surprised looks, Corrine wordlessly passes Baelon the folded letter from Septon Arlyn, giving him a little head cant in Edmund's direction, indicating he should let him see it too.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:13 am

Baelon reads the note, ponders for a moment, then understanding dawns.
"
I see the issue now. "

He passes the note on to Edmund.

"
Yoren, you pledged troops directly to Lady Corrine then, if I am understanding this correctly, to Septon Arlyn as well, who intended them to fulfill the deal that he had made with my deceased friend, Ser Jon Cobb, who had in turn intended to fulfill the deal he had made with me. I did not think Ser Jon would have been bringing Ironborn though. There may be no issue here... depending on whether or not House Longshore has the troops to fulfill both agreements... without leaving themselves unable to defend themselves, of course, should a rival house such as the Mallisters catch wind of such a large troop deployment."

He lets that idea hang in the air for a moment.

"
Yoren, I believe you promised a unit of foot and a unit of archers to Lady Corrinne. Septon, what units were you promised?"
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:20 am

"
He just promised me two hundred troops and was non specific as to the type."
Septon Arlyn glares at the ironborn. "
Shows me to trust the deals with the ironborn."
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:33 am

"
My Lady, House Dulver meant to provide is support, this ironborn of misrepresented his Houses finances we will send 100 archers and 100 support troops and the deal with the iron born will be changed, he will owe us 2 wealth in addition at the end of the time period or the deal is off"
the Septon growls.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next