Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Epilogue] A Mystery Rethread (Openish)

+3
Lady Corrine Marsten
Reader
Dyana Marsten
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

[Epilogue] A Mystery Rethread (Openish) Empty [Epilogue] A Mystery Rethread (Openish)

Post by Dyana Marsten Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:33 pm

[OOC: As this thread takes place on an open space during the day, anyone could reasonably be present. It serves, however, a specific purpose, so if you'd like to join, please send a PM my way beforehands!]

As the Riverrun Tournament is, at long last, over, the many Houses and delegations prepare to leave. History and stories have been weaved;
old lives have been taken and new lives, made;
enmities reinforced and friendships forged. As the sun rises on the day they are set to leave, the Marsten tents have been unmade and they begin to ride towards the gate, out of the Riverlands and back home. To the Vale.

Breaker's saddlebags are stuffed as Dyana settles into the saddle. Another horse, not quite as big or of such fine breeding, but still stout and reliable, rides in tow, sharing the burden with the Destrier. Dyana is still thinking on how to name this Rounsey. She needs a knightly name, a name fit for someone who has shown valor regardless of their position or birth. But it eludes her.

As they slowly prance forwards, wary eyes notice the trio from the sidelines...

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

[Epilogue] A Mystery Rethread (Openish) Empty Re: [Epilogue] A Mystery Rethread (Openish)

Post by Reader Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:04 am

Two knights sit astride tired mounts after an invigorating ride in the countryside, idly watching their fellow guests depart.

Ser Bryndon Hightower himself sits astride a fine white Fossoway horse, with Ser Addam Tarly looking only marginally less impressive on a dark brown courser.

"
Ser Addam, I do believe your conqueror in the lists departs,"
shouts Ser Bryndon mockingly, loud enough to draw attention.

"
Or at least his unlikely lady stablehand,"
replies Ser Addam, trying to laugh off the mockery.

"
Not so, this one held the lance. I don't doubt my eye for such matters,"
shouts Ser Bryndon with certainty. "
It appears the Princess's supporters are keen to show us women should not just rule, but also ride in the lists."

He laughs at Ser Addam's shame.

"
I'll not advance them their claims to inheritance or rulership, but it seems they have the right of things when it comes to jousting."

Ser Addam shakes his head in disbelief.

"
It cannot be so. No blasted woman could advance in such company! I deny it."

"
Deny it all you want Ser Addam. I heard a curious tale of a tale woman awkwardly asking furtive questions of the merchants, seeking a suitable mount for the lists and only drwaing more attention to her self by the attempt at subterfuge. By the way lady Dyana sits a steed, I name her your conqueror. House Tarly is lucky Ser Alayne is the top of the tree and bears Hearteater, lest the blade suffers your ineptitude to shame it."

Ser Brynodon Hightower keeps laughing while Ser Addam burns with shame and the crowd at the gate begins to gossip...

[OOC: be sure your terrible rolls will find you!

viewtopic.php?f=53&
t=597&
p=10369&
hilit=dyana#p10369

Ser Addam Tarly moves to dislike towards Dyana Marsten.

House Marsten - Damage control again! Simple intrigue at TN 12 to reduce the -2 influence loss for a minor scandal to -1, and avoid a few other NPC disposition's sliding. Dyana can respond live, the rest of you will be considered to be engaging in after the event damage control. Thanks to Dyana for helping wrap this up.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[Epilogue] A Mystery Rethread (Openish) Empty Re: [Epilogue] A Mystery Rethread (Openish)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:51 am

[url=Charm][/url]: 6d6k5 12
[url=Attractive reroll][/url]: 2d6k1 6
Baelon adds +2

Total = 19

No-one had recognised Corrine's horse, so decides to try and have a but of fun with Dyana's two hecklers, turning a little in the saddle to look at them;

"
Perhaps if you practice jousting more than you practice gossiping, you boys will win next time,"
she jests, clearly being affably playful rather than antagonistic, giving them a wink on her way past.

Let's hope that deflects their attention from Dyana a bit.

Last edited by 151 on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:09 pm

OOC: Nailed the assist (per Marsten OOC thread)
[url=Assist Corrine - Persuasion(Charm)][/url]: 6d6+2 26 1d6 4 1d6 5 >

Assist successful, +2 to Corrine's roll.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:12 pm

OOC: Nailed the assist (per Marsten OOC thread)
[url=Assist Corrine - Persuasion(Charm)][/url]: 6d6+2 26 1d6 4 1d6 5 >

Assist successful, +2 to Corrine's roll.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:56 pm

Gwyn assists!
[url=Persuade (Charm) to help deal with Mystery scandal][/url]: 6d6k4 14
[url=Hotness reroll of a 1][/url]: 1d6 4

Total after reroll is 17.
Damn, my dice are sucking lately! Sad
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:58 pm

Gwyneth Marsten wrote:Gwyn assists!
Damn, my dice are sucking lately! Sad

Same here Sad
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Gossip spreads and reaches Loreia's ear, who happens to be nearby when House Coldbrook departs as well. She humors the rumor and decides to look for any sign among those riding, a familiar-looking horse, the way women present carry themselves, to match with what she recalls.

[url=Awareness - mystery rider][/url]: 3d6 13
Would Notice work against passive Deception, or would I be allowed to roll bonus dice from Empathy?
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:52 pm

Loreia Merrgal wrote:Gossip spreads and reaches Loreia's ear, who happens to be nearby when House Coldbrook departs as well. She humors the rumor and decides to look for any sign among those riding, a familiar-looking horse, the way women present carry themselves, to match with what she recalls.

[url=Awareness - mystery rider][/url]: 3d6 13
Would Notice work against passive Deception, or would I be allowed to roll bonus dice from Empathy?
That beats my passive Deception. As you can tell, Dyana isn't particularly good at hiding things. You can notice me, or whatever your intended result was!

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:52 pm

*Shroud and Gelding...ah, 2 DoS.*

This is not getting past her. She recognizes the horse's coat and mane color as the same as one unnamed rider in the lists, and here was Dyana, leading it alongside her own. Loreia could deduce that Dyana's possession of a separate horse, which was ridden in the tourney, and her known experience as a warrior, were not coincidental. She was that rider.

The same responsible for the 'incident' in the grand melee. She buries her conclusion. For now.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:00 pm

(OOC - RP for my damage control attempt Smile )

"
Dyana! There you are!"

Gwyn guided her horse over to her sister's, beaming and waving at her.

"
You remembered to bring his horse! Thank the Seven...I completely forgot about it what with the weddings and all that."

It was, she thought to herself, a good thing she was coming over to the Marsten caravan about something else entirely. Dyana had kept the horse! Gwyn managed to refrain from smacking her forehead, but only just.

"
Did he tell you where to take it too? If not, I can take it from here."
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:25 pm

[url=Persuasion][/url]: 3d6 16 - Not sure how long after the Melee and G&
B this would be, so didn't include any penalties in the roll.

It takes Dyana a moment to recognize Ser Addam Tarly watching the delegation leave. She could still feel a sting on her left shoulder from his lance - the man was dangerous on horseback. It would seem he was starting to get dangerous on gossip, too, as she overhears her name and her alias on the same phrase.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

As the swearing keeps going on in her head, she tries to avoid his and Ser Bryndon's gaze. What was she to do? Approaching them for it would only make things worse. Why did she keep the horse?

Am I stupid? Don't answer.

Yes.

She should have passed it on. She'd even have some stags for it, and... oh Gods, what if word of this reaches aunt Isobel? If you think she doesn't like Gwyn, you'll still have much to learn of hatred. Fortunately, and on cue, her sister appears.

"
Oh! Oh. Hey Gwyn."
She blinks, then realizes what's happening, swallows, and tries to act knowingly and not look to the sides. "
Ah, no, actually."
Her voice is a bit louder than necessary. "
I was under the impression he would come to us, and I was just taking it along until he appeared."
Fuck, more than half of my things are on that horse. "
You can take it from here if you know where to find him."
She tries her best to give a significant glance to the saddlebags, then gives Gwyn a desperate stare.

Fuck.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Ser Bryndon had clearly decided you enjoy some sport, both at Ser Addam's expense and at House Marsten's.

"
Ah, a whole flock of Marstens! No need have these fierce warrior woman for a man to protect them."

"
Watch out Ser Addam, they have taken much from the Realm's men already at this tourney."

"
Lady Gwyneth has taken the hearts of half the tourney, but believes me fool enough to disbelieve and honest merchant and my own lying eyes. Ser Dyana is no courier, she's a lancer."

"
Lady Corrine has taken Ser Benedict's good family name from him."

"
Lady? Or is it Ser? Dyana Marsten has taken your dignity in the joust and, I do believe, a war hero's life."

Ser Bryndon laughs loudly at his own jokes, as does much of the slowly gathering crowd - some genuinely, others nervously.

His jibes have clearly found their mark with Ser Addam, his knuckles white as he grips his horse's reins in barely concealed fury and shame...

[OOC: 3 DoS plus one from Dyana on individual check.

4 DoS
- Influence loss reduced to -1.
- Ser Bryndon Hightower is just in it for sport and taunting Ser Addam, rather than genuinely riled at this unwomanly behaviour. Given his terrifying martial abilities, this is a Good Thing.
- Ser Bryndon Hightower, despite himself, is amiable towards Lady Gwyneth Marsten
- Situation won't come to lethal violence (!) although Ser Addam may yet issue a challenge to be fulfilled at a later date...]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:23 pm

Gwyneth manages not to wince when Ser Hightower mentions Jon, and wheels her horse around to look at him directly.

"
Why, Ser Bryndon Hightower,"
she says brightly. "
And here I thought your razor sharp sword was the most fearsome thing about you! It turns out to play second to your sharp wit though."
With a smile she goes on, "
It's a fine jest, to say such things about my sister. For sure she's brave enough to be a warrior...and I've even known her to swing a sword against the barbarians in the mountains now and then..."
Her smile slowly fades to a more solemn expression.

"
But I would never want to see her fighting against a noble knight of the Seven Kingdoms, ser. Though her arm is strong and her aim true, she is every bit a woman in her heart. And even if she put on thick armor, she is all too easily hurt. The cost of a fight like that on her would be terrible to behold."

The best lies were, after all, truths. If not the truths they seemed.

She leaned over and took the reins of the offending horse from Dyana and flashed a teasing smile to Ser Hightower.

"
It's a shame he isn't here though. It would be a great deal of fun watching him fume impotently as you called him a woman."
Her voice had exactly the mischievous malevolence it would have had if he HAD been there, hidden in the crowd, doing exactly that.
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Dyana is more concerned about the discovery itself than Ser Bryndon's expected mockery, especially since it isn't as harsh as she imagined it could be, but the mention of Jon still shakes her. It is not hard to see she is restraining herself on Breaker's saddle.

Still, she chooses to defer to Gwyn's sharper tongue and wit when she takes it upon herself to jibe back. She stares stoicly at Ser Bryndon, saying not a word, and when her sister takes the reins of her rounsey away, Dyana's worried look to her clearly says thank you.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:03 pm

At last, Ser Addam's nerve snaps, broken by Bryndon's taunts.

He points an accusatory finger at Dyana and yells out clearly:

"
[size=150:13uekerx]YOU! YOU HAVE SHAMED ME! DO YOU DENY YOU RODE IN THE TOURNEY?"
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dyana Marsten Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Dyana halts Breaker's stride, sweating cold from the accusation, and turns only to see Ser Addam's furious face and accusatory finger.

There is little escaping now. Word of this is already spreading fast, and these two have seen all through it. You must deny it, then, and even though many will not believe it... at least then no one will be able to say it with certainty. That'd be the best way to handle this situation.

Only, fuck it.

"
[size=150:i0j67te6]NO!"
Dyana shouts back just as clearly, steering Breaker to face him fully, holding herself with all the poise of a rider who's been astride that same horse, on difficult mountainside, since tender youth. "
I rode in the Tourney, Ser, and bested you rightly and fairly."
She says defiantly, the mount slowly walking in the duo's direction as she lowers her voice. "
You rode well. What shames you is your own behavior now. You are a knight;
act like one."
Dyana stares him down, not the length of two horses away.

Dyana Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:32 pm

[OOC: FYI - Baelon's after-the-fact mitigation assistance shall be in the form of spreading the idea that the proper way for a knight to avoid being defeated by a woman is to improve his skills - not try to prevent women from competing.]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:03 pm

Theomore had been attracted by the ruckus at the gate, and a smile starts to form on his face, quickly erased by him stroking his imaginary beard..maybe he should get one, like the Bravoosi favored? It would add a certain dangerous charm to his face, or so Raff insisted...

Might be this Ser Addam was a man to ask to join him for the road?
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:18 pm

Loreia regrets being that close to the shouting knight. Good people, the knights of House Tarly, she thinks, sweeping her gaze across those gathered in the migration of horses and carts. She snaps from her insolent display when Dyana responds with a bolt of lightning. Oh no. What now?

With little thought and little time between her spouting off and Addam's fiery retort, she trots up, insinuating herself in the middle, blocking his ire to counter with good old northern sense. "
You shame yourself, ser,"
she lowers firmly, "
Have you got nothing to do than nettle a fellow warrior for surpassin' you in a contest of arms? Were the Warrior here in the flesh, he'd not be impressed by your chafing."

Last edited by 129 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:36 pm

With effort, Gwyneth keeps her body and face still as events rage out of control. Frustration seethes under her skin though.

Seven damn it all, I could have handled him, Dyana!

Now it was entirely out of any of their hands, how this would end. Either Ser Addam would wilt under the collective disapproval of the others, and back down...or his pride, inflamed by Ser Bryndon's prodding, would provoke him to issue challenge. Which was, she assumed, precisely what Hightower had had in mind all along.

On sudden impulse, she scanned the people nearby. Was Isobel near? Could something be salvaged from this incandescent mess?
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:37 am

At Tarly's accusation, Corrine starts to turn her horse, his tone riling her. Dyana shouting back leads her closer, eager to support her cousin.

"
I advise you back off, Tarly,"
she challenges haughtily, Isobel's cold steel coming through her bearing. "
You were bested fairly. Your only shame is being such a poor loser. Now, leave my cousin alone."

She angled herself straight-backed in the saddle, a tiny roll of her shoulders drawing attention to her shiny new weirwood bow, her wedding present from Ben.

I will not hesitate to hurt you, you hateful little creep.

[url=Persuasion (Intimidate)][/url]: 5d6 15
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:07 am

Gwyneth Marsten wrote:With effort, Gwyneth keeps her body and face still as events rage out of control. Frustration seethes under her skin though.

Seven damn it all, I could have handled him, Dyana!

Now it was entirely out of any of their hands, how this would end. Either Ser Addam would wilt under the collective disapproval of the others, and back down...or his pride, inflamed by Ser Bryndon's prodding, would provoke him to issue challenge. Which was, she assumed, precisely what Hightower had had in mind all along.

On sudden impulse, she scanned the people nearby. Was Isobel near? Could something be salvaged from this incandescent mess?

[OOC: Isobel is not present.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:31 am

Ser Addam was wroth, and Dyana's bold rebuttal only made him angrier. He would not back down, despite Corrine's force of personality.

"
By the Seven, you are both absurd creatures, but at least you are an honest absurdity lady Gwyn. The way you ride and the merchant's words would have shown you for a liar in any event."

Now his ire is focused on Loreia and Dyana, ignoring the pleading of the more conventionally ladylike Marstens.

"
Only the grace of the Seven gave you the victory, and even then only to spare me unknowlingly striking down a woman."

He stands high in the stirrups and challenges Dyana formally, untucking a riding glove from his belt and hurling it at her.

Curiously, he does not afford her with knightly address or courtesy, yet offers her a knightly challenge...

"
I will meet you at a location of your choice in a year, at a location to be determined three months prior to put an end to this foolishness in public. The maid's hand shall not shelter you now your identity is known, instead, the Warrior's gauntlet shall set you back in your rightful place."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:57 am

Corrine urgently wants to teach Tarly a lesson, but restrains herself, realising that, as much as she wishes to defend her cousin, Dyana should ultimately have the say in how she responds. Instead, she mentally checks herself, while glaring at Ser Addam.

I must not shoot knights in the face.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next