Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mechanical discussion

+20
Baelon Drakeson
Jon Templeton
Benedict Marsten
Aerion Storm
Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Walton Dulver
Lady Corrine Marsten
Gwyneth Drakeson
Darron Greyjoy
Nathaniel Mason
Ser Fendrel Bartheld
Yoren longshore
Ereth Redwain
Kevan Lyras
Ser Jorah Holt
Davain Bartheld
Reader
Loreia
Septon Arlyn
Theomore Tullison
24 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Mechanical discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: Mechanical discussion

Post by Darron Greyjoy Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Aerion Storm wrote:What's the benefit of a Superior shield?  I'm seeing that several of our opponents in the melee have 'em, but -- assuming you're not shield bashing with them -- what's the upside to the additional expense?

Harder to break when choosing to attack it.
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:10 pm

Not much. They are harder to destroy (by attacking, no additional protection from Shattering). If you ever attack with your shield, it would get the same +1 of any superior weapon, but that would only be useful if you were disarmed, which is a not something that happens often at all. Most don't bother, it's not worth the expense. I'm not sure why Theo decided they would all have superior shields.

EDIT: missed Darron's post... darn page breaks. Rolling Eyes
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerion Storm Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:12 pm

Got'cha. So yeah, not something Aerion would be interested/willing to invest in, at this point.
Aerion Storm
Aerion Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:18 pm

Aerion Storm wrote:What's the benefit of a Superior shield?  I'm seeing that several of our opponents in the melee have 'em, but -- assuming you're not shield bashing with them -- what's the upside to the additional expense?

you get to have a shinier shield then the other guys
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:22 pm

Shield=Weapon, so superior weapons=superior shields.

Doubt anyone would bother with any sundering, though, but there for completeness.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Baelon has superior or better everything... except a shield and barding. If someone wants to attack his shield, that's fine - that's more time to put the hurt on them while they aren't hurting him... and superior plate barding is incredibly expensive, almost 286gd.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:24 pm

I've looked at it with 50% armorsmith discount....still, it's not very tempting.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:32 pm

Maybe they're just harder to break?
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:Shield=Weapon, so superior weapons=superior shields.

Doubt anyone would bother with any sundering, though, but there for completeness.

Generally NCs have only had one superior weapon, but especially for the really high status ones there's no reason for that limitation to be there, I suppose.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:23 pm

Darron over here made me wonder: what if fighter in heat of combat, will step out of fighting ground during melee? In Lord Forrest's rolling Awareness against TN6, even with -1D penalty from Maneuver seems not hard to beat, anyway.

https://dragonsdance.rpg-board.net/t3221-melee-group-1#97009

And do we count specialties to Passive Fighting? Passive Fighting for Lord Frey is 20, but Passive Fighting for Long Blades for him is 22, what makes the difference in Darron's Maneuver DoS.
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:31 pm

My idea behind it was if even if he does make it which I imagine he will he still has to move to a square which will give me a free attack. At least I think that was the house rule.
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:39 pm

I would imagine that the area has been set off with fences, likely the same ones that will be used to divide the joust lanes. Like a boxing ring, you can get someone on the ropes, but you can't really force them out.

However, Reader has ruled that Maneuver doesn't use bonus dice, on offense or defense - pure fighting vs. passive fighting (though things that add directly to fighting like Knockdown or Talented(Fighting still apply to Maneuver tests). That also means the +1 from your superior axe doesn't add either... removing 4 random dice from your attack is likely to make it a failure, but given that you didn't know how the mechanics work I for one think that retconning the action to something else would be fair... though I'm not running that battle, so it's not my call.

Also, Maneuver doesn't trigger the free attack - getting an attack along with a Maneuver is what Long Blade Fighter II does, not that many have it. Precedent (from Baelon getting Maneuvered in the Velaryon fight) is that only voluntary movement generates the passive attacks - getting Maneuvered away from somebody else won't trigger it, either.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:24 am

Is movement through the space occupied by the acting character a possibility with more than one degree of success with Maneuver?

We do not count specialties for the Advanced Actions unless specified in the source material. We had a discussion about this regarding Knockdown vs a character's passive Agility. I would say bonus dice from Dodge could apply to passive Agility, but most fighters in the 7 Kingdoms are not likely to have it. Or rather, most of us don't.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:13 am

Feel free to edit Your round, Darron. Let me know when You are done, and I will start with round 2.
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:20 pm

Edited
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:43 pm

Responding here so as not to clutter an IC thread.

Benedict Marsten wrote:(ooc: Here I will add that yield being a greater action seems ridiculous. Dropping a weapon:free action. Speak: free action. Those would be my follow up free actions, but following the rules... bring on the hurt.)
I think the intent of "yield" being a greater action is to prevent making one last desperate attack to see how it goes, then yielding. Especially in a group combat like this, it could be tempting to try to weaken your foe to help others, then yielding. If yielding were simply a free action, Ben could make a reckless attack against the Prince or Ser Willis to help out Aerion and then yield to avoid the consequences (another wound or defeat). I'm not saying Ben would do that, but mechanically he could and not all combatants are as honorable as Ben.

Theomore Tullison wrote:[I'd say that taking the greater action "yield" let's you dictate how you take the loss, it's a melee, they'll accept your surrender, so narratively speaking it's perfectly fine if Ben gets to his feet like a man first. I'll say that simply shouting yield as a free action suffices, given the circumstances.]
I think this is an elegant solution - for PCs at least. It gives us a little more narrative control to present how our characters admit defeat, whether that be defiantly (like Ben), or any other way. For NCs... eh, I don't really care either way, but some might want their opponents forced to grovel at their feet. Rolling Eyes

On the other hand, trying to act tough and failing is as valid a story option as any, so (for instance) Ben taking his last fatigue to try and stand as a lesser action and then succeeding or failing as Orokos decrees can be interesting, too.

Speaking of failing to stand as a lesser action... Aerion, I'm sorry to say it looks as though you neglected to take the penalty for your third fatigue on that stand-up test.... the penalties for fatigue apply immediately so if that was your third fatigue you should have had a -3 penalty to the roll. Unless that was just your second, or you are getting a +1 from somewhere (though I doubt you have Talented(Agility) Razz )
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:11 pm

Attacking and then yielding would probably result in them attacking back and then accepting your surrender Razz
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:28 pm

Which would be dishonorable... attacking then yielding is a much fuzzier situation, as at the time of the attack no one has yielded.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:54 pm

Baelon Drakeson wrote:Responding here so as not to clutter an IC thread.

Benedict Marsten wrote:(ooc: Here I will add that yield being a greater action seems ridiculous. Dropping a weapon:free action. Speak: free action. Those would be my follow up free actions, but following the rules... bring on the hurt.)
I think the intent of "yield" being a greater action is to prevent making one last desperate attack to see how it goes, then yielding. Especially in a group combat like this, it could be tempting to try to weaken your foe to help others, then yielding. If yielding were simply a free action, Ben could make a reckless attack against the Prince or Ser Willis to help out Aerion and then yield to avoid the consequences (another wound or defeat). I'm not saying Ben would do that, but mechanically he could and not all combatants are as honorable as Ben.

Theomore Tullison wrote:[I'd say that taking the greater action "yield" let's you dictate how you take the loss, it's a melee, they'll accept your surrender, so narratively speaking it's perfectly fine if Ben gets to his feet like a man first. I'll say that simply shouting yield as a free action suffices, given the circumstances.]
I think this is an elegant solution - for PCs at least. It gives us a little more narrative control to present how our characters admit defeat, whether that be defiantly (like Ben), or any other way. For NCs... eh, I don't really care either way, but some might want their opponents forced to grovel at their feet. Rolling Eyes

I can agree to this, but I am not sure just how much Aemond dislikes Ben.

Baelon Drakeson wrote:On the other hand, trying to act tough and failing is as valid a story option as any, so (for instance) Ben taking his last fatigue to try and stand as a lesser action and then succeeding or failing as Orokos decrees can be interesting, too.

Ben is out of fatigue. Lost 1 in the initial melee roll and only had 3 to start.

Baelon Drakeson wrote:
Speaking of failing to stand as a lesser action... Aerion, I'm sorry to say it looks as though you neglected to take the penalty for your third fatigue on that stand-up test.... the penalties for fatigue apply immediately so if that was your third fatigue you should have had a -3 penalty to the roll. Unless that was just your second, or you are getting a +1 from somewhere (though I doubt you have Talented(Agility)  Razz )
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:03 pm

Take defeat by 0 health and you'll find out Twisted Evil
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:27 pm

Ben, darling, do please try not to get yourself killed or dismembered. Razz
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerion Storm Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:04 am

Yeah, mea culpa on that Agility test. Every time I string together two or three good actions and think I'm getting the hang of things, I mess up with a dumb mistake (like that). My fault! I'll edit the post when I can.
Aerion Storm
Aerion Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:16 am

No worries! It's a complicated mess of a system, so it's easy to make mistakes - we all do, from time to time. I do quite a bit, but have gotten better at catching them and adjusting before posting - like leaving off -3 in fatigue/injury penalties on Ser Warrick's attack in group 6... or forgetting his training die penalty the round before... maybe I'll get it right in round 3, if he makes it that far. Rolling Eyes
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Templeton Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:30 am

Warrick just needs to survive a little longer.... Smile
Jon Templeton
Jon Templeton

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:02 am

Aerion Storm wrote:Two-handed swing, LBFI, extra d6 is BoA: 6d6-2 23 1d6 1
[What I believe: base damage is 7 with versatile, etc.  So LBFI makes a base hit 14, DoS's make this 28, correct?  18 after armor?
er, right result, wrong reasoning, I think? LBF1 makes your 3 DoS hit (23 against CD 13) a 4 DoS hit, 7*4= 28 and the rest is the same.

Theomore Tullison wrote:Willis moves to B4 then attacks Aerion: 6d6 26, which I believe is 4 DoS for 8*4-10=22 damage and 6 point reduction in AR.
Not that it really matters much in this case with all that damage (ouch!) but Ser Willis only has Shattering 2, so a 2 point reduction in AR, not 6.

Well, the good news (for everyone else) is that Ser Willis and Prince Aemond can't *both* enter the final... and I don't think Aemond will be happy if Ser Willis yields without a fight, so whichever one makes it, the other will be at least a bit messed up (like everyone else).

I anticipate a short final round...
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next