Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

126/4 That's what friends are for [Closed]

Go down

126/4 That's what friends are for [Closed] Empty 126/4 That's what friends are for [Closed]

Post by Theomore Tullison Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:19 pm

"I must say, Ser Vaemond, seeing a Velaryon here is rather surprising." Theomore joins the man who all these Westermen seemed to shun, the Lannister twins having been passed over in favor of his cousin for the hand of the princess was apparently not forgotten. "Ah, Ser...Theomore, no? I suppose we both are where we are unexpected, a Velaryon and Prince Daemon's former squire in a place where those names invoke uncomfortable silence and suspicious glances." The seahorse knight seemed...defeated? Intriguing, but not surprising given such whispers as had been borne upon the winds from Driftmark to reach the ears of Raff. "Though from what I hear, the prince is dissatisfied with your choice of new friends, ser. They are certainly not among such lords and ladies that he counts among his own. " Was there hope in the voice? Vaemond planned to do something about his issue, he needed help of course, a benefactor, but to get it here he would require a helping hand.

"Who am I to turn away the kindness of others? Especially when among those who would falsely accuse me of atrocities can be counted some whom holds the prince in higher esteem? And who would I be, ser, if I did not do as the Lannisters do? I have debts of honor to be repaid. The prince understands, though I felt much less welcome at the tourney at Caladan Hall, than I do here. It is as if one man invites you inside his house, the neighbor whom he is in dispute with assumes that you are taking sides against him and treats you as such, thus your host concludes that you must be siding in his favor, why else would his neighbor treat you so?" And yet, he was sworn to Lord Frey, a man who's loyalty to Dragonstone could not be doubted. And his family, too, Dunstan was as faithful to the will of the king as any good man. Where did this leave him? All the lords and ladies deceived, all the tangled webs he has weaved. "I may not have much choice in whom to befriend, ser."

"At least you have someone to befriend, ser Theomore." Vaemond sighs "I am not so lucky."

"Then allow me to offer to be him, ser." Theomore replies without hesitation, his hands turning to reveal the palms in a gesture to make him relax. "I have a feeling that there is something on your mind." Vaemond pauses, as if deciding whether he could trust Theomore with that which was gnawing on him. As if many small voices told him that if the wrong person was told the words he had to share, his life would end, but something else shouted louder that he needed to trust someone or all is lost, and before him sat a man that would have no cause to betray him. "It is my uncle, ser. I imagine the rumors of his illness has reached the Riverlands. The princess is pushing for him to name Lucerys as his heir." Theomore patiently allows Vaemond the time needed to choose his words, but as the other knight seems to have difficulty finding out how to proceed, he interjects with a little assistance. "And you feel this is wrong, ser?"

"Damn right it is! A boy, at this time? A boy that...all the realms knows what he is, yet to speak of it...." frustration, anger, but mostly an attempt to veil his own ambitions, Theomore could tell. "Then as your friend, I will advise you not to risk your tongue needlessly, ser Vaemond" Theomore replies in a calm, almost theatrical manner, as if he already knows and Vaemond is merely confirming it. "If I may be so bold to speculate, the name of Velaryon has denied you access to such men as might aid you in this, ser?" The eyes gives him away, of course, Theomore knew that Vaemond had spoken to Lord Lannister's seneschal and been turned away, predictably. The man did not understand politics, a friend would have told him to let the matter go, no friend would want Ser Vaemond's life ended by Dark Sister prematurely. Unfortunately for Ser Vaemond, the man he had chosen to trust was no friend of his. "You must have given the matter some serious consideration, I am sure." Theomore doesn't think so, only a fool or desperate man would think Lord Lannister might see him, or have any direct involvement. "You have treason upon your mind, and yet, half the realms are plotting treason, but it is of course the other half, according to which of them you ask. One would brand you as someone to make an example out of, the other would wish you to succeed. As a friend, I have to ask, do you really want to try? Knowing that if the coin falls the wrong way, you will be maimed, and all the comforts that your name and station has afforded you will be gone. Will you risk that in the fight for the future of your house?"

The seed was there, but the words gave Vaemond pause, no matter, he would either break it off and remember Theomore as the friend that set him to rights, or he would be seduced by the lure of power, accept the plan Theomore lays out for him...and too late learn that whatever mercy Prince Daemon held in his heart had already been handed out at Mountains Reach a few short months ago. "I..Yes, yes I will." Vaemond finally concludes, attempting to sound more determined than he already is.

"I see." Theomore acknowledges. "Then you have work to do, but you will need resources also, men to help ensure that your voice is heard, to add weight to it, to secure a proper hearing before gods and men. To see to it that your enemies cannot simply extinguish your words through violence. Let me see if one of my new friends cannot be of assistance..."

Gaining the trust of Lord Jason would likely prove more challenging, but the man had been snubbed in favor of Laenor Velaryon, and what Theomore intended to ask of him was only a trifle thing...innocent, with hardly much risk of blowback should it fail. Besides, it is not like Casterly Rock would notice if a few thousand dragons were lost in such a venture, especially if it might prove as rewarding as the sea snake's voyage to Quarth. No, trusting Theomore should be easy enough. Now, to arrange a meet. Well this is Castamere, with one of Lord Tybolts cousins in charge of the draw. What self-respecting Reyne wouldn't want to see the Lord of Casterly Rock thrown into the mud by some river knight?
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down