Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OOC] The Masquerade Ball

2 posters

Go down

[OOC]  The Masquerade Ball Empty [OOC] The Masquerade Ball

Post by Nathaniel Mason Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:06 am

Thought I would post this here, as a highlight of the history of such events.

GRR Martin has said on many occasions that he based GoT on 15th Century Europe.  The Masquerade Ball, and similar nights of decadence have been recorded as early as the 9th century, in part a reaction to the increasing influence of the Roman Catholic Church.

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/masquerade-ball-history

The formal Masquerade Ball as we understand it today is actually a 18th century evolution.  However, with events like Mardi Gras in New Orleans, the practice has much returned to it's origins.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[OOC]  The Masquerade Ball Empty Re: [OOC] The Masquerade Ball

Post by Loreia Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:00 pm

I actually like the setting of a masquerade in video games. Often though outside of the story it provides only flavor for gameplay, except in the case of Dishonored. I'd love to see a Bioware game implement it and get creative with writing dialogue.

In general, I like the idea that a player's goals overlap inevitably with a polite party of some kind, and they have to play "the grand game" (Orlesian term) while attempting to accomplish their goal or thwart the enemy's. The idea of crashing a party for a hidden agenda is very exciting. It's kinda like stepping into the villain's shoes for a bit of cloak&dagger, but with refreshments. And the small picture of the oblivious masses who worry far less about you than their daily struggles and joys is the icing on top.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down