Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Creation Workshop

+23
Ereth Redwain
Samurel Manderly
Riackard
Dyana Marsten
Ser Fendrel Bartheld
Kevan Lyras
Yoren longshore
Lady Corrine Marsten
Loreia
Athelstan
Daveth Coldbrook
Garret Snow
Nathaniel Mason
Jon Cobb
Gwyneth Drakeson
Ser Jorah Holt
Reader
Colin Corbray
Baelon Drakeson
Benedict Marsten
Dunstan Tullison
Theomore Tullison
27 posters

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Character Creation Workshop - Page 6 Empty Re: Character Creation Workshop

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:39 am

That does sound like a rather good fit, actually. I'm big on romance and adventure, so having an unwed character is important to me. I shall do more reading on House Bartheld, as I do see your point about being the sole player in a House. With the character being named already, I take it I'd have to stick with Ysme if I decided to fill that place?
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:49 am

I've messaged Reader to ask if I can have Ysme.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:56 am

kittendumpling wrote:That does sound like a rather good fit, actually. I'm big on romance and adventure, so having an unwed character is important to me. I shall do more reading on House Bartheld, as I do see your point about being the sole player in a House. With the character being named already, I take it I'd have to stick with Ysme if I decided to fill that place?

Well, she's a minor character in the House, so I don't see why you should be stuck with it if you'd prefer something else. That'd be up to Reader of course, I'm just a player that likes to be helpful. :mrgreen:
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:59 am

I like helpful people. :mrgreen:
When is Reader usually about? I'm raring to go, hehe.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:05 am

Never mind, I realised there is a way to look that up. My brain are not work tonight.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Athelstan Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:32 am

Welcome and glad you settled on a character, hoping Marstens got some more love.

Athelstan

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:18 am

nicholscs wrote:Hey all. New to the group and am rumaging around my head for PC ideas.

I figure I'll try my odd idea first, then maybe move to something more traditional.

Is there any room for a female Braavosi water dancer? House Marsten seems a fit due to distance, but I think any house might do?

The idea I have in mind is an adventurer trying to make a name for herself in Essos, maybe working for a house as a sell sword/body guard to one of the ladies? Someone who could be inconspicuous when needed, but deadly/sneaky also?

Or maybe a bastard from some traveling house family member that made it across the sea, and she's looking for some sort of purpose or connection to something?

Dunno, like I said, just spitballin'.

I have essos ties myself, so if you need some ties in westeros...Smile you don't neccesarily need to be blood, but we might very well have met.

Last edited by 145 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:45 am

kittendumpling wrote:I like helpful people. :mrgreen:
When is Reader usually about? I'm raring to go, hehe.

UK hours usually, but was away over the weekend at a family thing with effectively no wifi.

Off work today, mammoth catchup begins.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:06 am

Ysme can be awesome indeed.

As for Water Dancing: viewtopic.php?p=265#p265

Color me skeptical. It sounds like you tack on so many exotic elements, a foreigner and a female warrior. That's something you need to explain right there, as in, why the heck would any of these houses want to associate with you in the first place? I can see that happening with the Longshores, and nobody else.

The second question is then, what do you wish to achieve? Because Westerosi social mores gets in the way of interactions outside your own house. It's basically something you need to put a lot of effort to make right.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:20 am

kittendumpling wrote:That does sound like a rather good fit, actually. I'm big on romance and adventure, so having an unwed character is important to me. I shall do more reading on House Bartheld, as I do see your point about being the sole player in a House. With the character being named already, I take it I'd have to stick with Ysme if I decided to fill that place?

Ysme is a probably a good choice for what you're after, since she's got an independent streak a mile wide and is of marriageable age. As written, there's nothing to suggest that she's particularly interested in martial pursuits, or having any greater goals than enjoying life on her own terms, but I feel that can be added without completely remodelling the basic character. The Barthelds are a fairly tolerant lot, so a dash of Arya Stark wouldn't be amiss. Smile

As one of the two currently active Bartheld PCs, I would appreciate an actual Bartheld in the game. My character has no strong ties to House Bartheld as a whole, but is a very good friend of ex-lord Brom. Nathan is a teenage prostitute and not properly a part of the Barthelds either (at least as far as he has admitted publicly). Our third player, Tristain, is a sworn sword of the house, but hasn't posted for over a week, so I'm not counting on him to be a driving force in the game.

So, House Bartheld needs someone in the game with a vested interest in the fortunes of the house, and to be the public face of the house. My character has currently been pigeonholed into this role, but it's not really in character for him to turn up at all the public events (see the [url=Schedule][/url]) and speak for the house. That will leave the house unrepresented at a number of events that can provide boosts to the house.

Welcome to House Bartheld!

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:38 am

nicholscs wrote:Hey all. New to the group and am rumaging around my head for PC ideas.

I figure I'll try my odd idea first, then maybe move to something more traditional.

Is there any room for a female Braavosi water dancer? House Marsten seems a fit due to distance, but I think any house might do?

The idea I have in mind is an adventurer trying to make a name for herself in Essos, maybe working for a house as a sell sword/body guard to one of the ladies? Someone who could be inconspicuous when needed, but deadly/sneaky also?

Or maybe a bastard from some traveling house family member that made it across the sea, and she's looking for some sort of purpose or connection to something?

I don't usually meddle in other player's PC concepts, but I do feel that this particular game would benefit from having more characters with direct connections to one of the noble houses, rather than more exotic wanderers. I also feel that the game has enough bastards in it at present (at least two), so someone who works better within the traditional framework of Westerosi society would be best, IMO.

That doesn't mean that you have to build yet another knight in shining armor;
if you build a character with decent Status and who is an acknowledged family member of one of the player houses, then he will at least have the protection of his station in society if he displays any...eccentricities...in terms of lifestyle. Whether the head of the house approves will of course depend on which house you join. Smile

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:15 am

Jon Cobb wrote:

I don't usually meddle in other player's PC concepts, but I do feel that this particular game would benefit from having more characters with direct connections to one of the noble houses, rather than more exotic wanderers. I also feel that the game has enough bastards in it at present (at least two), so someone who works better within the traditional framework of Westerosi society would be best, IMO.
Let's face it, we are all bastards, even those that does not want to acknowledge it;
)

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:30 am

Why not have our exotic water dancer be a girl from Westeros - a noble's daughter/merchant's child etc?

That way she's tied to an existing house but can be exotic too. Smile
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:26 pm

Still, it adds challenges as far as interactions with others goes.

I`d drop it unless you know what you`re doing.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Jorah Holt Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:49 pm

What I found playing a vaguely similar character in BITW is that unless you can find a proper reason to be around, it can be hard to find ways to interact. Nobody knew what exactly to do with them.

What does seem to be missing is the roguish character ala Tyrion, bit sneaky, decent knowledge and good persuasion and deception skills. Depends how much you are interesting in fighting. There is certainly no lack of fighters in the game so far. House Coldbrook would happily take such a character - just expect bad rolls as we all seem to be cursed. Even our NPCs roll badly.

Ser Jorah Holt

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:54 pm

It`s the curse of castle grenward.

Theo fits the bill for roguish though.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunstan Tullison Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:16 pm

How about Yve Tullison? She is a strong female unmarried character and I am sure no one would mind if you would mention she is practicing some marksmanship with Ser Matther from time to time:)
Plus, you'd have a brother and an uncle, a whole family to RP with:)

Dunstan Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:17 pm

It would be fun to have Yves as a PC to spar with. Smile
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Yve is ought to be more traditional in her ways than having tomboy tendencies IMO.

But probably one of the easier characters to get into the game with, particularly for inexperienced players.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:23 pm

Yeah, she can't be too openly weird. That's not to say she can't have an eccentricity or two though.

But she can't really be a 'warrior' type, and still fulfill the intended role of the character.

That said, there are many ways to wage 'war' in the Game of Thrones. Smile
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:27 pm

A new Marsten would help balance the houses however - go with what you think you'll enjoy. Smile

I'm very open to something exotic but with ties to Westeros, so a returned noble daughter can work well - tomboyish and odd (fell in love with a swordmaster, learned his trade but has returned. Maybe her love died in Westeros while teaching or in a duel/abandoned her/she needs to sort out an inheritance).

Remember that this is an unusual time for gender roles - "
The World of Ice and Fire"
has at least one non Targaryen noble women riding in armour at this point.

I'm not saying it will be easy, but you've got a bit more freedom than normal.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:32 pm

I definitely wouldn't mind a little more Marstenage, yes. Smile

Baelon and I are doing decently enough so far, but it's a lot to put on the shoulders of two relatively low-status folks like us.

Corrine is a bit of a firebrand, as I recall...though a bit young and in the spotlight to be what you're pitching.

Maybe one of Gwyn's half-sisters from across the sea? Smile
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:33 pm

Yes to half-sister. More bastards!
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Don't let me stop you from doing whatever you wish, but if anything, the PC's this game needs the most are the sort that goes around and does stuff, and interact with others, especially outside their house. This generally means knights and ladies that are trueborn blood relations of their house. And to do that, both "
foreigner"
and "
warrior woman"
will present considerable barriers, which will require skill and effort to properly get around. Do you think you can pull that off where four out of five players fail? Yes, four out of five players fail to get past just one such barrier in my experience.

If you want to keep "
Warrior Woman"
, then I suggest you hook up with the longshores and use Asha Greyjoy as inspiration. If you want the Bravoosi connection, I'd go for a nobleman of a more scheming nature, he could still be quite proficient with a fencing blade if so is your desire. I would go with a blood member of a home house having been to Braavos and returned in that case, Barthelds likely best fit for that, but I can see a wild card of a trueborn son of Mikael Marsten...with interesting implications regarding certain elements of the Marsten behind the scene stuff. While you could make it a trueborn daughter of Mikael, and keep your original idea, I have a notion that's too much spice for the dish to be edible.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:55 pm

Damn, now I'm torn between Ysme Bartheld and Corrine Marsten.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next