Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preparations D8 LM (closed-ask first post second)

2 posters

Go down

Preparations D8 LM (closed-ask first post second) Empty Preparations D8 LM (closed-ask first post second)

Post by Yoren longshore Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:37 pm

Originally intended for Daveth, but if anyone were with Daveth, it is a public place... bump in if you wish.

The great weirwood forest seems oddly small to Yorens eyes;
"
In a few months I'll se groves much bigger, but much less cultivated than this."
He tells himself in the old tongue, practicing for the voyage to lands where Westerosi had rarely been heard. A few syllables needed correcting, but it was a clear improvement from when he started refreshing his memory. he hadn't spoken it in ten years, it did not all magically come back. At first all he had was memorised phrases and monocyllables, but he was improving rapidly, after all, relearning is easier than learning. As Daveth approaches he finds a bottle. Juggling two cups and the bottle he tells Daveth: "
not arbor, but I hope you still approve my selection... Rich red, a little on the sweet side, but overall a good bottle."
Yoren smiles as he settles on a root. "
Are things going your way? At this tournament I mean? I've heard some things..."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Preparations D8 LM (closed-ask first post second) Empty Re: Preparations D8 LM (closed-ask first post second)

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:09 pm

Daveth smiles at seeing Yoren more composed as he takes the offered cup. "
Thank you. I'd say things were going well enough."
he replies as he takes a sip, and sits on a nearby root himself. "
Why? What have you heard? And how are things with you since last we met? You seem well."
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Preparations D8 LM (closed-ask first post second) Empty Re: Preparations D8 LM (closed-ask first post second)

Post by Yoren longshore Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:59 pm

"
Busy minds thinks no bad thoughts, given certain losses i dulled my mind with the bottle. Not any longer, now i busy my mind with more productive thoughts. I've heard some rumours from the Coldbrook camp, and appreciate that you are a man with your hands full, so I'll keep things brief;
I'm launching an expedition into the north, and as I know that i may trust you, I'd wish for you to come join me. We will study wildlife, which may be of use to your house, seing that the climate will be similar. This may be of use from both an zoological and an agricultural point of view."

Yoren takes a quick sip, wetting his throat before continuing: "
This Lorreia seemed usefull, and i believe that you will certainly have other likely candidates for such a trip... Would you want to join this expedition? Or send some of your men with me? Under your command of course."

OOC:
I have some OOC knowledge, but i do not wish to assume much IC knowledge, therefore I'll leave it up to you to decide which news have been gossiped about.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:49 pm

(OOC: That's fine. I was worried for some 'The Coldbrooks eat babies in their heathen rites' nonsense that I'd missed.)

"
Keeping your mind occupied to avoid unpleasant thoughts."
he lifts his cup in toast. "
I know what that's like. For what it's worth, it gets easier with time.

"
Unfortunately, me joining you is just isn't going to happen. Frankly, I wouldn't have a house to come back to were I to be derelict of my duties for that long. I'm worried at the state it'll be in when I get back from this tourney, and that's only been a few days. I'm just too deeply involved in too many roles. Pity. It sounds interesting.

"
Getting Loreia's help, however, could be something she'd jump at. I don't want to speak for her, but I think she's chafing at the bit to do something exciting and worthy to really test herself against. If she thinks your expedition could be it, I think she'd go for it. Plus, you are right that House Coldbrook could probably use the knowledge. How many other men were you thinking of needing, and with what skills?

"
Still, I'm curious as to why you're doing this? It doesn't seem like the kind of thing your house would appreciate the value of, unless they're thinking of relocating to the North somehow. And pardon me for bringing politics in, but you'd previously pledged your house's support for our house's claim on Castle Grenward. Is that something that you are still able to offer, what with the changed circumstances and all?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:44 am

Yoren nods in understanding: "
Of course, you have to have a house to come back to for it to be worth it."

"
Hiwever If you may spare some of your men, they may make up for it. I was thinking of a slim expedition, having wildlings help us along the way. My father will provide the ships necessary, we are the naval experts after all. What Coldbrook really has to offer is it's survival experts, which will be needed and of which coldbrook has many. Animal experts, which will be advantageous to bring, as any species we decide to bring back must be properly treated on the way. Possibly someone who speaks the old tongue, I can make do in a pinch with my rusty old tongue, but I'd rather have an expert by my side."

Yoren gesticulates with his hands. "
I realize that this is a tall order, and I do not presume that you'll provide all the men needed, but I was thinking about 8 survival experts, a pair of animal handlers, be they trappers or proper trainers, one fluent speaker in the old language, and I will ask Lorreia to join at first possible occasion, and we'll see if she wants to join."

Yoren gets a strange glint in his eyes "
I'll talk to her this afternoon if possible...
The reason why my father allows this is twofold, first off, I'll be out of the way while he tries to reinstate my sister to my place. Secondly, he is sold on that it may be wildling treasure up there, though i doubt that that is any more than a myth..."

Yoren sighs: "
I support your claim to grenward, and my father would too, but after first Leifnarr abandoning his post, Rodrric getting killed by a bastard of my father, and him being mocked by Tully? He has a lot on his mind and he is frail... I will talk to him and try to convince him, no promises, but I think I'll be able to sway him."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Daveth looks at Yoren for a good few seconds before responding.

"
You're aware that when it's time to return, your ships won't be there, right? I mean, the reason why your father wants your sister in your place is presumably your belief. Which means that all you'd have to do is renounce your beliefs to *really* mess things up. You know you'd never do that. I know you'd never do that. But as I understand it, they haven't seen you in a long time, so they don't. Meaning the succession's a lot tidier if you don't return. I won't guess at who would give the order - maybe someone just seeking favour. But that's irrelevant. If you want to survive this, you'll need to plan, provision, and schedule for you to be walking home.

"
It is possible for House Coldbrook to provide the men with the skills you need. And I'm not sure of another house present that could do so. But this would involve exposing said skilled men, who would be non-trivial to replace, not to mention the personal feelings of loss, to significant danger. I'm afraid that's more than a personal favour you're asking."

(OOC: #It'sNotParanoiaIf....)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Yoren laughs deeply: "
If my father want me out of succession he'd drown me long before I leave for the north, it is not disallowed unless he spills my blood."

Yoren becomes more sombre: "
Of course, safety measures is never to be scoffed at. I believe the biggest threat to be wildlings, which is why we should be around ten, not so big as to scare them, but too big for some rogue to rob us. As for getting back;
I'll have plenty of both supplies and gold to see us to Ghis if we so wished. First thing if the crew leaves us is to try the nights watch, who'll lead us through. Even if that fails, I've been refreshing my Ibbish, so in a pinch, we could take a boat from hardhome."

Shaking his head: "
The danger is the wildlings, the animals, and more lethal than anything: the cold. It is for this the men are needed, but if it'll comfort you, we could put some of your men aboard the ship to avoid foul play. Also I could send a raven to the nights watch, telling them to look for us."

Yoren fumbles behind him before producing a waterskin, apologetic he looks at Daveth:
"
My next drink will have to be water, I will not risk falling back."

Leaning back he asks: "
You have any other input or enquiries please tell me, if its anything you want us to look for in specific, please tell me."
He adds with a genial nod.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Daveth's eyebrows rise at Yoren's comment. "
Truly? I did not realise Ironborn were so ... permissive in that regard. Well, that reduces the risks, I suppose. I don't think I'll leave men on the ships - man for man, I'd count on Coldbrook armsmen against pretty much all others in most circumstances, but against Ironborn on a ship is one circumstance I'd rather avoid."

Daveth finishes his cup, then places it towards Yoren. "
If you are to avoid temptation, then let me help. I too will partake of fishpiss so you do not drink alone."
with a half-smile.

"
Without knowing what you'll find, it's hard to assign a price, so let us agree on this, if you're willing: if you come across nothing material of interest to our House, House Longshore will owe House Coldbrook safe, fast transport by ship of equivalent value. There may come a time in the future when fast mobility of armsmen may prove the difference between success and disaster, and there are no better sailors than Ironborn. If the journeys are short and safe, it may take a few journeys to pay the debt - if it long and risky, you will probably pay it off in a single journey. Alternatively, whoever leads the Coldbrook delegation will have the power to renegotiate should you come across an animal or good which would prove useful to us. Seem fair?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:11 pm

Yoren smiles: "
we're a martial culture and I have no one who will miss me, the kingslaw will also not intervene on my behalf, the rights of pit and gallow and all that..."

Yoren fills Daveths cup for him: "
the first swallow is the worst, it is almost possible to imagine that it's something les foul, like tar after a while."

Yoren nods in agreement: "
not much of a trade is it? As long as a longship of ours is available I see few reasons why it shouldn't be at your disposal, trading in goods that we will freely give... I agree to this, and if you change your mind and want to come, know that you are more than welcome."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:33 pm

Yoren longshore wrote:Yoren smiles: "
we're a martial culture and I have no one who will miss me, the kingslaw will also not intervene on my behalf, the rights of pit and gallow and all that..."
"
Not no-one."
Daveth replies quietly, not really looking towards Yoren as he says it.

Yoren longshore wrote:Yoren fills Daveths cup for him: "
the first swallow is the worst, it is almost possible to imagine that it's something les foul, like tar after a while."
Daveth takes a cautious sip and pulls a face. "
Urgh. You weren't kidding."
he gags slightly. "
Unless this is some kind of self-inflicted penance, I suggest you try finding a tea that's nice to drink cold."
he holds his cup up to look at it. "
And to think we feed this to our sacred trees. No wonder our gods let the Andals beat us."
his tone is dry, rather than bitter. He gives a small smile and leans towards Yoren. "
Actually, biologically, I'm Andal myself, but shhh."
putting a finger to his lips. "
Let's not confuse the issue with fact."

Yoren longshore wrote:Yoren nods in agreement: "
not much of a trade is it? As long as a longship of ours is available I see few reasons why it shouldn't be at your disposal, trading in goods that we will freely give... I agree to this, and if you change your mind and want to come, know that you are more than welcome."
"
Thinking about it, if you could keep an eye open for possible animals that it would be good to stud our domesticated herds with, that would probably be the most likely useful thing. They probably grow tough and hardy up there. Those would be useful traits to breed into our lines.

"
And thank you for the offer, but I don't think I'll change my mind."

Daveth smile slowly fades, and his face turns serious. "
One last thing. If you leave with Loreia, make sure you bring her back. Alive. Okay?"
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:30 pm

"
Blood has little to do with heritage, I believe heritage to be what you want to be affiliated with, as opposed to blood, which is your family. But let's not confuse the issue with facts."
Yoren smiles relaxed "
These trees are truly unique. Maybe we should feed them wine to make them look merrier, to stop the weeping."

"
Everything up there is hardy, if we find anything we'll get it for you."
Sighing deeply he continues: "
no one is safe from the perils of travels, I've promised safety before, but now I know what a lie it is. I can not promise to return Loreia safely. What I can promise is that I'll do all in my powers to keep her safe. I must confess that a woman like her got a good chance of survival, if she dies I suspect that the mission can be written off as a complete failure."
Smiling grimly at his well disguised praise he adds: "
you're right, I'll see if I can get some tea to mske this livable."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:29 pm

Yoren longshore wrote:Yoren smiles relaxed "
These trees are truly unique. Maybe we should feed them wine to make them look merrier, to stop the weeping."
Daveth smiles amiably at the tree and pats it reassuringly. "
When I was younger, I was told they cry so we don't have to. Like, this world mandates a certain amount of suffering, and they fulfil our part of the quota. Not sure if I really believe that. Probably just my mother spinning yarns. But even so, I think if they did look happy one day, it would scare me like little else would."

Yoren longshore wrote:Sighing deeply he continues: "
no one is safe from the perils of travels, I've promised safety before, but now I know what a lie it is. I can not promise to return Loreia safely. What I can promise is that I'll do all in my powers to keep her safe. I must confess that a woman like her got a good chance of survival, if she dies I suspect that the mission can be written off as a complete failure."
Daveth nods. "
That's all I can reasonably ask. But be aware: she is braver than she is wise. If you're somehow trapped between two wildling armies, and she says she can take them on by herself, don't believe her."
his tone is slightly dry, indicating that he's not being entirely serious, but his point is valid.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:15 am

Smiling wryly to the last comment Yoren tells Daveth: "
even with two wildling armies at my back I wouldn't dare to attack Loreia. Plus we are not there to fight them, everybody assumes they are inherently savages, but thats just not true. Treat someone like savages and they'll act the part, treat them like equals and they'll shed their savage appearance. We are there to trade with them, not fight them. We're too many for them to be able to fight us without casualties, but we are too few for them to fear us. Nature will kill us before wildlings do..."

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:42 pm

Daveth takes another sip of the water and pulls a face again. "
Well, I hope you're right."
he pauses briefly. "
Actually, I hope you're wrong, and nothing kills you in any order, but you get what I mean.

"
Alright, so, let's discuss the details about logistics, supplies, dates, and all that."

(OOC: As far as I'm concerned, we can just fade out here with us sorting out the details.)
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:51 pm

OOC
Always nice talking to you
[/scene]

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down