Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Contest]Singing

+6
Gwyneth Drakeson
Luecian LongBow
Baelon Drakeson
Loreia
Lady Corrine Marsten
Daveth Coldbrook
10 posters

Go down

[Contest]Singing Empty [Contest]Singing

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Unlike at the tourney at Riverrun, we're allowing preparation (you may take time with the knowledge roll). Because this event is designed to be welcoming for everyone, overtly political songs will be docked points.

Knowledge TN (9) to select an appropriate song and memorise it well enough to perform. +1B per degree of success, -1D for failure.
Persuade (Charm) TN (12) to actually sing it.
1st: 16GD, Superior Harp (worth 4GD, 178ss), +1 TP
2nd: 10GD
3rd: 5GD

[Note: goods may be sold at full cash value at the tourney. Effectively, they're colour.]

Last edited by Daveth Coldbrook on Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

[Contest]Singing Empty Re: [Contest]Singing

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:25 am

Corrine knew lots of songs. Singing had been part of her education in being a lady, and it helped that she loved it. She often sang to her children, and Ellie or Ben when they had nightmares or difficulty sleeping. Trying to think of a song that had absolutely no chance of being interpreted politically was harder, but she eventually thought of one. It was not a happy song, but it was a very beautiful one she'd always loved.

Knowledge (Education): 4d6k3 10

She stood up to sing, and as the haunting words about bittersweet parting from one's deepest love lilted through the room, she could not keep her eyes from welling up, so moving the song was to her. There were few in attendance that were not also deeply moved by the young Lady Marsten's lark-like voice expressing such heart-aching poetry.

Persuasion (Charm): 6d6k5 24
Attractive reroll: 1d6 4
Total = 27

Lyrics:

Last edited by Lady Corrine Marsten on Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:14 pm

There are a few scoffs among the crowd when Loreia ascends the steps of the outward stress of the house seat's "stage" in the great hall to sing, without introduction.

To prepare, she found time to rehearse in the few days beforehand with a scullery worker singing "My Feather Bed" like some choir student, then to research what song to actually sing. Only now was her face aflush on stage. It hadn't reddened to ask a fellow commoner for help, she who had ascended above and beyond what most kitchen maids could hope for, and among the men in martial matters at that.

In truth, her entry is a token participation, but people expect more from the first woman knighted, even if only a passing ability.

One more tomorrow
To hold you in my embrace
And thrill with rapture
Each time I look at your face

One more tomorrow
To see heaven in your eyes
To have your hand cling to mine
And wander through paradise

One more tomorrow
To kiss your lips constantly
And feel the pounding
As your heart beats next to me

One more tomorrow
Filled with love the whole day through
And then tomorrow I'd beg
For one more tomorrow with you

The song is chaste in word choice only, with plenty implied, however the Maid would hardly bat an eye considering what's being celebrated today, and the plans a certain pair of newly weds have for the night. The overall mood appeared to be between humoring and respectful. Practice makes perfect, and while it did help, it did not help enough, and she is unable to hold the high notes. Not bad, but nowhere near the level of other competitors.

Credits + Rolls, Edit notes:

Last edited by Loreia on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:45 am

Baelon stepped up on stage, his heart a bit aflutter. This would be his first time singing publicly - the duet he had planned to sing with Corinne at the Riverrun tourney having been scuttled at the last minute due to... events. Events that at the time had been exhilarating at the best of times and heart-wrenchingly painful at the worst - and confusing and unpredictable throughout. In hindsight, had he remembered this song on that night two and more years ago now, he likely would have had far less pain and confusion. Like many things though, songs and such had a way of slipping from one's mind, lost amid the hustle and chaos of life.

"This is a song I first heard years ago, in my travels as a hedge knight. The life of a hedge knight, for those of you who know it only from stories and song, is not all excitement, adventure, and rescuing maidens from fantastic beasts. In fact, it is more often a cold, lonely night spent under the eponymous hedge, thinking of what has been left behind and what might have been, or could never be. Imagine if you will, such a knight under such a hedge, thinking of a warm castle in the mountains, and the beautiful woman within that he could only dream of. Ladies and gentlemen, I present 'If I Could'."

Nodding to the musicians to begin, he begins singing, his voice filling the room with a smooth, rich baritone. The melody was simple, but sweet, the words filled with a longing so heartfelt it could only have been true.

"If I could, I would always tell the truth
I would always love you from the heart
If I could, I would take you in my arms
Take you inside, into my heart

If I could, I would be the place you turn
When you're feeling lonely or afraid
I would shine like a lantern in the dark

When you feel as if you don't know who you are
I'll remind you with my love

If I could, I would always keep you safe

When you feel as if you simply can't go on
I'll remind you that you're strong

If I could, I would love you as you are
Into my arms, into my life"

By the end, there was more than one eye with a tear in it, and the astute might notice more than a little moisture in Baelon's eyes, seemingly in contrast with the broad smile he wore. Returning to his seat, he takes Gwyn's hand into his own and gives it a loving squeeze, whispering some sweet something into her ear.

Credits and Mechanics:
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Luecian LongBow Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:48 am

Luecian knew a few songs from time spent around soldiers and time spent in taverns but he wasn't always the best at remembering the right words. He picked a song that from his viewpoint seemed the least crude and least likely to be frowned upon in polite society. It was a love story of sorts really and while mayhaps it had a few racy rhymes, there were definitely far worse choices he could make.

He listened rapt as the other performers lifted their voices and sung sweet and true songs that touched the hearts and eyes of all present surely. Confident they would welcome a small change of pace, he strutted up the stage and spoke to the crowd. " This is a song about a lass that often holds me heart but I fear alas she will never stay." He dived into the song, doing his best to keep his voice deep but smooth as he crooned to the crowd. The musicians played along adding the right tones-mostly soft throughout with alternating speeds and sharp accent tones at certain points.

Singing-Knowledge(Education) TN 9 with some extra time: 3d6 11
Singing-Persuasion(Charm): 7d6k6+2 25 [7d6k6=[5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 2], 2] includes bonus die from Knowledge check
Singing BOA Reroll: 1d6 6
With BOA reroll [7d6k6=[6, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3], 2] +2=29

Lyrics:

All credit to Frank Loesser and the many artists who performed it especially Frank Sinatra.
Luecian LongBow
Luecian LongBow

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwyneth Drakeson Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:20 am

Gwyneth returned Baelon's smile and remained with him for the next song before standing up and taking the front herself. She had worked for many a night poring over collections of music from not only their own library, but traveling musicians visiting their hall as well. She'd found what she thought must be the perfect one for her to bring here. Baelon knew well how long she'd rehearsed, starting with a musician, then getting herself to the point she could carry it without accompaniment.

The work paid off tonight. While hers was not the sweetest voice in the hall, it was the best it had ever been for her. A soaring performance, heartfelt and rousing in turns, without any instruments to go with her.

When the last note faded, she gave Daveth a smile, and a little bow, then returned to her seat at Baelon's side.

Spoiler:
Gwyneth Drakeson
Gwyneth Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevan Lyras Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:19 am

Kevan was not much of a singer that had not changed since the Tourney at Riverrun, but for this occasion he wanted to perform a song. He had briefly considered to ding his own interpretation of the song about a certain hunter, if only to observe Luecian's reaction, but had quickly dismissed that idea. Instead he had chosen a traditional song about a lonesome knight who had found love in an unexpected place, which he now performed calmly in his dark baritone.

Singing - Knowledge (take time): 4d6 11
 Singing - Charm: 5d6k4 18

Kevan Lyras

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerion Storm Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:56 pm

Aerion looks distinctly uncomfortable with so many eyes upon him, without him having shield, lance, and horse to show off with; but there is more to being a knight than jousting, and more to honor than valor, so he pushes himself. With his dark hair flowing free instead of pulled back into a helmet-fitting bun, with his beard combed and oiled, with his velvet and silk courtier's garb on instead of road-dusted travel clothes, he almost fits in.

When the song starts -- a mournful Stormland tune about a rivalry that ruins both families entangled in it -- he still almost fits in. His isn't the sweetest voice, and he misses a few of the notes, but he does well enough not to shame himself.

Knowledge, taking time, diff 9: 4d6 12
Persuade(Charm), diff 12, +1B: 5d6k3 11
Attractive reroll: 1d6 6
[so 15 after Attractive reroll]
Aerion Storm
Aerion Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:21 pm

Ereth stands clears his throat, he had practiced to surprise her and this seemed like the best way "This is a song I dedicate to my amazing wife Alya, I hope I remember it. The name of this song is the Song of the Sea"

Between the here, between the now
Between the north, between the south
Between the west, between the east
Between the time, between the place

From the shell
A song of the sea
Neither quiet nor calm
Searching for love again
My love

Between the winds, between the waves
Between the sands, between the shore
From the shell
A song of the sea
Neither quiet nor calm
Searching for love again

Between the stones, between the storm
Between belief, between the sea
I am in tune

Knowledge (Education): 4d6k3 12 1 DoS; +1B
Persuasion (Charm): 7d6k4 21 2 DoS
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 pm

Coldbrook Tourney: Knowledge (Education) TN 9: 2d6 7 (FAIL -1D)

Ser Alfred had gone through a number of songs that he could have prepared and memorized for the occasion. However, in the end, he found that he could not properly decide for one and thus decided to split the preparation among several songs, something that seemed like a good idea at the time... As it was his turn and he felt the attention of the audience weigh down on him, not mixing up what belonged where seemed harder than normal for some reason. But then, what was the worst thing that could happen ? It seemed most of the other contestants had decided to keep to the more solemn tunes, so he decided to stir things up a bit, whether because that song was the one he could recall the best at the moment or because it seemed appropriate at that particular moment... It was hard to pinpoint later, really. The musicians looked at him a bit odd when he suggested the song, but in the end simply shrugged and began to play, that was what they were there for, after all. Soon the first tones of what suspiciously sounded like 'The bear and the maiden fair' filled the room.

Coldbrook Tourney: Persuasion (Charm) TN 12: 6d6k3 18 (2 DoS)

The Knight found that things came out rather well. Admittedly, there were some odd intonations in it and he needed to draw a few notes out to make up for trying to remember a bit of the text he was about to get to, but all in all, he was more than satisfied with his performance. by his feeling, he had gotten the best result from what he had ended up starting with, and that was pretty good on its own in his opinion.
Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:54 pm

[OOC: extra time is allowed on the Knowledge test, so you can take extra time to double your knowledge dice; an extra 2d6 guarantees 1 DoS and on average 2. That would give you an extra die or two to roll for the persuasion and, perhaps more significantly, eliminate the -1D penalty.]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:19 pm

[2 times 0 is still 0, chief, so there's little use to do that, if I read my CRB right. Wink]
Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:35 pm

[OOC: I don't think you did - you get extra test dice up to double your test dice; so if your Knowledge(Education) is 2d6 then and you have unlimited extra time, you can roll 4d6 Very Happy ]
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Alfred Haigh Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:43 pm

[Ah, that way around ! Late night reading *sighs*]
In that case: Coldbrook Tourney: Knowledge (Education) TN 9 II: 2d6 10
Makes that 17 then, if Im not mistaken, means (2 DoS +2B)
Coldbrook Tourney: Persiasion (Charm) TN 12 +2B: 2d6 6
OK, the total comes out at 23, that's a slight difference from before, provided I calculated it right !
Ser Alfred Haigh
Ser Alfred Haigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down