Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D5, LE] A Small Request (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D5, LE] A Small Request (Closed) Empty [D5, LE] A Small Request (Closed)

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 21, 2015 5:23 pm

As the sun slowly dipped below the horizon, Corrine awaited Ser Jon Cobb outside the Marsten pavilion. Not wanting to be seen at his lodgings, she had sent a message after the meeting between her and her mother.

Perhaps he can help.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

[D5, LE] A Small Request (Closed) Empty Re: [D5, LE] A Small Request (Closed)

Post by Jon Cobb Thu May 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Jon trudged slowly up to the Marsten encampment, until he arrived outside one the larger pavilions, where an attractive young woman was waiting.

"
Lady Corinne, I presume?"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 21, 2015 8:32 pm

"
You presume correctly, Ser Jon,"
she replied congenially, curtseying. "
Thank you for coming to meet me. I had hoped we would get a chance to talk. About my mother, Lady Isobel, mostly. I understand she has grown rather fond of you."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Thu May 21, 2015 11:02 pm

Jon bowed back with a certain pained stiffness. He looked tired, but smiled warmly when Corinne mentioned that Lady Isobel may be fond of him.

"
Well I'm glad to hear you say so, my lady - your mother is a most impressive woman. I have thoroughly enjoyed our little walks and I hope there will be many more to come."
Jon pauses and gives Corinne a quizzical but amused look. "
I must admit, however, that this situation is new to me. I am used to being interviewed about my intentions by the parents of young ladies - this is the first time I find myself being scrutinized by the daughter!"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Thu May 21, 2015 11:37 pm

Corrine laughed;

"
Good Ser, I assure you, you are not being scrutinized. If you make my mother happy, and treat her with respect, that is good enough for me. I actually wanted to ask for your assistance. I fear my mother is unhappy with my choice of Ser Benedict Blackthorne as my intended husband, and I would like her to feel more favourable about it, or at least not unhappy enough to sabotage the proceedings. Since you are a man she respects and values, I thought to ask you if you might be willing to speak with her on the matter, and assuage some of her disapproval. I do not ask that you be dishonest, but if you think you might be able to convince her that House Marsten will be safe and prosperous under myself and Ser Benedict, we would both greatly appreciate it."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Fri May 22, 2015 12:09 am

"
Well now, that was an awful lot to take in at once,"
Jon says with a nonplussed look.

"
I suppose that first, congratulations on the impending nuptials are in order, but have you thought through what you're asking of me? You want me to convince a woman I've just met that two people I barely know are the right couple to safeguard the future of the noble house she cares deeply about. I do have some small way with words, but that is quite a tall order, wouldn't you agree?"
Cupping his chin, Jon scrutinizes Corinne intently before continuing.

"
So, Ben Blackthorne has won your heart. I've only just met him here at the tourney, but he seems a nice enough lad, and not unintelligent, though how much of that is his little sister prompting him is something I've yet to discover. Still, he did have the brains to stay out of House Bartheld's little succession spat, so that does speak to him possessing some native wisdom of his own. He may well make a decent lord some day, but from what I have seen and heard, he is first and foremost a warrior. So you tell me - what qualities do you think he possesses that will enable him to ensure the safety and prosperity of House Marsten?"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri May 22, 2015 12:33 am

Corrine listened, knowing he was right to be cautious, and spoke carefully in response.

"
I know it is a lot to ask, but if I may clarify, I do not expect specific assurances to be given. Just that, if you believe in following one's heart, forging one's own path in life, and making one's own happiness, that you gently suggest to my mother the virtues and benefits of allowing me to do so. Her practicality has steered us well, but at times, I need her to be my caring mother, not the steely warden of our lands. She and I... Well, there is a lack of affection between us, and that saddens me greatly. I feel that she does not understand me, that if she did, she would not judge so harshly. We have lost my father and brothers already, I would not have us lose eachother over a difference in outlook. I feel that she is expecting too much in a match for me. The man she pushed upon me did not even want me, nor I him. We would have been miserable together. Ben is a good man, wise and even-tempered. Where I have a little too much fire, he is still and calming. Where I am too soft, he is strong. He shares my values about how a House and a family should be run. He is well thought of by his peers, an accomplished knight, and valued by his Lord, which I believe infer good character. He has served House Marsten faithfully in the past, and he will gladly serve us again by my side. Lord Dunstan Tullison invited him to become his bannerman, as he has served him so loyally, but he turned it down to seek my hand, despite the prejudice my mother has against him. I know in my heart he would do anything to keep me safe. He is the bravest and kindest man I have ever met. But she does not seem to be satisfied by those things. Do you see value in these things I tell you about Ser Benedict?"
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Fri May 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:"
I know it is a lot to ask, but if I may clarify, I do not expect specific assurances to be given. Just that, if you believe in following one's heart, forging one's own path in life, and making one's own happiness, that you gently suggest to my mother the virtues and benefits of allowing me to do so. Her practicality has steered us well, but at times, I need her to be my caring mother, not the steely warden of our lands. She and I... Well, there is a lack of affection between us, and that saddens me greatly. I feel that she does not understand me, that if she did, she would not judge so harshly. We have lost my father and brothers already, I would not have us lose each other over a difference in outlook."
"
Lady Corrine, I can well understand the desires you are expressing, and, in fact, I do my best to live by them every day. But the difference between you and me is that I am a landless knight of little consequence, and you will be the ruler of a great noble house. When I follow my whims, none profit or suffer for it but me, but if you follow your heart and it leads you down the wrong path, all those under your protection will suffer for it. From what I have heard and seen of your mother, this is a lesson she is all too familiar with - perhaps that is why she is so focused on practicality...on duty. Perhaps it is a lesson she has been trying to impart to you, in her own way?"

"
As for a lack of affection, I honestly believe you wrong your mother by saying so. I expect she never told you, but two days ago she confessed to me that she had struck you in a rage. If you had seen the pain she felt for her actions, you would not say that she lacks affection for you. Have you ever thought that perhaps it is not that Lady Isobel doesn't understand you that makes her judge your actions harshly, but that she fears for you and wishes to keep you safe from harm? As you said - you have already lost your father and your brothers. Perhaps Lady Isobel fears that she is about to lose her only remaining child as well?"

I feel that she is expecting too much in a match for me. The man she pushed upon me did not even want me, nor I him. We would have been miserable together. Ben is a good man, wise and even-tempered. Where I have a little too much fire, he is still and calming. Where I am too soft, he is strong. He shares my values about how a House and a family should be run. He is well thought of by his peers, an accomplished knight, and valued by his Lord, which I believe infer good character. He has served House Marsten faithfully in the past, and he will gladly serve us again by my side. Lord Dunstan Tullison invited him to become his bannerman, as he has served him so loyally, but he turned it down to seek my hand, despite the prejudice my mother has against him. I know in my heart he would do anything to keep me safe. He is the bravest and kindest man I have ever met. But she does not seem to be satisfied by those things. Do you see value in these things I tell you about Ser Benedict?"
"
Your Ben sounds like a good man, and your love for him is plain to see, but in my experience, it is often the case that in the flush of first love, people are wont to overlook the failings of the man or woman who has won their heart. When the love cools, as all love does, you will be able to see Ben with new eyes, and you may discover sides to him that you cannot abide. Have you considered what you would do then? A marriage, once made, is not easily set aside, and there's many a marriage that began in love but ended up a cage. Perhaps your mother fears that you are rushing into things, and that is the reason she is so sceptical of Ser Benedict?"

"
I am sorry to sound so critical, Lady Corrine, but I am a mercenary, and experience has taught me that things are seldom so simple as they appear at a first glance. I find it a useful policy to try and see both sides of a dispute before diving into it. If you still wish it, I will speak to your mother on your behalf, but I will do so first to find out why she seems disinclined to support your marriage to Ser Benedict. If I feel that her arguments hold no weight compared to yours, I will do my best to convince her to relent, but if I feel that her reasons are sound, I will not try to change her mind. Is this agreeable to you?"

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri May 22, 2015 12:21 pm

Corrine listens, her hope crumbling into dust with each word. What makes it worse was that she can argue with none of it, much as she wishes she could. In the light of Ser Jon's measured and wise response, she felt all the more foolish and helpless. She could almost hear her mother scolding her.

Fool girl. Only thinking of yourself again.

She hung her head shamefully, deflated, but she nodded slowly.

"
You speak wisely, Ser. You shame me with your rectitude. I will accept your terms, if you will accept my humble apologies,"
she replied, forcing her eyes off her feet to look up at him.
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Fri May 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Lady Corrine Marsten wrote:Corrine listens, her hope crumbling into dust with each word. What makes it worse was that she can argue with none of it, much as she wishes she could. In the light of Ser Jon's measured and wise response, she felt all the more foolish and helpless. She could almost hear her mother scolding her.

Fool girl. Only thinking of yourself again.

She hung her head shamefully, deflated, but she nodded slowly.

"
You speak wisely, Ser. You shame me with your rectitude. I will accept your terms, if you will accept my humble apologies,"
she replied, forcing her eyes off her feet to look up at him.
"
My lady, you have said nothing to wrong me, so no apologies are needed, but it is to your credit that you offered them nonetheless. Thank you,"
Jon replies with a kind smile. "
I will ask to see your mother tomorrow, and I hope that when all is said and done, true love and wisdom both shall have triumphed."

OOC: I imagine the next step is to wait and see whether Jon's intervention is needed? TBH, the current status of the marriage negotiations with Lady Isobel is a bit unclear to me.

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri May 22, 2015 4:33 pm

"
Thank you, Ser,"
Corrine replied softly, with a respectful nod. "
I can ask no more than that. I should not keep you any longer, but I thank you for your patient ear and wise counsel."
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Cobb Fri May 22, 2015 10:57 pm

Thank you, Ser,"
Corrine replied softly, with a respectful nod. "
I can ask no more than that. I should not keep you any longer, but I thank you for your patient ear and wise counsel."
So, /scene?

Jon Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Corrine Marsten Fri May 22, 2015 11:02 pm

[/scene]
Lady Corrine Marsten
Lady Corrine Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down