Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[D4:MM] An Audatious Request (Closed)

2 posters

Go down

[D4:MM] An Audatious Request (Closed) Empty [D4:MM] An Audatious Request (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:48 am

Nathan was shown into the Blackwood private solar, where Ser Myles Blackwood waited.

While they had been introduced on his first arrival at the bread and salt ceremony, In his armor, he was perhaps not what the Knight might have expected. What he was about to do was bold, even by his standards, but the risks were very low and the potential payoff was extremely high. With someone like Lord Bracken, Nathan wouldn't even attempt this, but Ser Myles was both a learned man, and able negotiator. He would understand the opportunity that Nathan presented. Whether he would act on that opportunity was another matter. The young man hoped that his quick action with the Septry bandits had bought him some good will. He may need it.

"
Thank you for seeing me. Ser Myles."
Nathan used the title 'Ser' but bowed as one might to a Lord. "
You are a busy man. I will try not to impose too much on your time."

"
As you are aware, I have been investigating the situation in the village of Blackbuckle for the last two days. I am afraid that what reports you may have already heard are not an eggageration. Quite the opposite. My initial investigation, while preliminary, would indicate that either a Blackwood or Blackwood supporter is responsible for this tragedy."

"
Now, please understand, I do not believe either you or your late Lord would countenance such a despicable or cowardly act. However, if my initial investigation proves accurate, there will be others that will not be so objective, either genuinely, or for their own purposes."

"
So, Ser Myles, I am here to give you the opportunity to do the right thing, and perhaps get a jump on your detractors. I would like you, as Regent of House Blackwood, to publicly denounce the destruction of Blackbuckle and offer your support in it's restoration."
Nathan pauses a moment to let that sink in. "
Yes. I do know the difficulties of what I am asking."

Intrigue:

Objective: Denounce the poisoning of Blackbuckle and assist in it's restoration.
Initiative: Eloquent
Disposition: Indifferent (4 DR, 0)
Intrigue Defense: 9
Composure: 12/12
Frustration: 0

[url=Ser Myles - Exchange 1 - Persuasion (Convince)][/url]: 8d6k5+0 27
(+1B from previous Cunning check that it looks like I didn't need.)
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

[D4:MM] An Audatious Request (Closed) Empty Re: [D4:MM] An Audatious Request (Closed)

Post by Reader Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Ser Myles stroked his beard, deep in thought and troubled by developments, but seemingly satisfied at Nathaniel's respectful tone. The Bartheld delegations initial deeds had done much to dispel initial Blackwood suspicions.

"
What can a man do but denounce such indiscriminate death? Poison is a coward's weapon."

Intrigue
Myles Blackwood
Initiative - status (reputation): irrelevant, opponent eloquent
ID 13
DR 4
[url=Persuade (Charm)][/url]: 10#5d6k4 17 14 20 16 18 18 17 18 18 18

[OOC: numbers first, then some roleplay.

I'm guessing he's rapidly in to Yield territory here - He's VERY open to the idea and seems sincerely troubled by events. He'll renounce Blackbuckle if the torture he suspects can be confirmed and publicly noted in mitigation. Otherwise he'll quit, cursing Green investigators for only focusing on Black crimes and saying he expected better of Nathaniel by his reputation and deeds.

Tread carefully here, even with the intrigue advantage.]
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

[D4:MM] An Audatious Request (Closed) Empty Re: [D4:MM] An Audatious Request (Closed)

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:09 pm

[OOC: Yeild Counter:

I will mention the torture... as "
mistreatment"
of the prisoners... possibly to extract information.

I can confirm what was done, and have no problem confirming it, but I will not allow this to inflame the situation as a diversion or overshadow the truly heinous action of the Blackbuckle poisoning. Can Ser Myles honestly say that the Blackwoods have never 'mistreated' prisoners for information?

Nathan is trying to be fair about this. He will also be alluding to Lord Bracken's inaction in his report, which a clever man like Ser Myles should be able use to his advantage.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:54 pm

The two men debate for some minutes. Both understand the difficulties and both understand their respective positions.

"
Torture is a despicable act, Ser Myles, more so because it is often so unnecessary or unreliable. I will confirm the mistreatment of your men. Lord Bracken should not be shielded from his actions."
While Nathan my look on the Greens favourably, it is clear that it does not extend to Lord Bracken.

"
However, I am sure that House Blackwood has used similar mistreatment on their prisoners. The treatment of the Blackwood men, while important, should not be used to inflame or overshadow the truly evil act of poisoning an entire village."

"
If you denounce this action, you will show your House to be honorable, even in war. If you assist in the rebuilding of Blackbuckle, you will show yourself to be compassionate and generous, even to your enemies."

"
I can assure you, unequivocally, that House Bracken will not escape the consequences of Blackbuckle unscathed."

[OOC: Negotiated Yield. Ser Myles will strongly denounce the poisoning of Blackbuckle and assist in restoring the village. Nathan will confirm the 'mistreatment' of the Blackwood prisoners.]
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Ser Myles seemed satisfied and offered a firm handshake to confirm his agreement, impressed by the implacable young Bartheld aide.

"
You have my word that I will denounce the poisoning when required. Let us turn the arms that carried swords against the Brackens to rebuilding instead. House Blackwood has lost much over recent months."

"
Will the royal investigators be requiring me to put quill to parchment and affix my seal? I am yours to direct - I have no desire to commit any deed that hampers you in seizing the guilty party, whether it be by some sin of commission or omission."
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:50 pm

"
I doubt that will be necessary, Ser Myles."
says Nathan. "
You are a man of honour, I think, and will hold to your agreements, especially as it is in your Houses interests."

Nathan turns to leave, but hesitates. "
Ser Myles. I'd like to ask a question out of personal interest. I do not wish to offend, and you do not need to answer if you do not wish. Why is House Blackwood still fighting the Brackens?

I understand hate. I make no secret that I would kill the poisoner of Blackbuckle in the most painful and creative way I could think of... but I don't understand this war.

For five hundred years the two Houses have tried to tear each other to pieces. Neither side has managed to deal a decisive blow in all that time. I can't even calculate the cost to both Houses. The smallfolk on both sides suffer terribly. The conflict has led to direct intervention of the Crown itself.

I am not judging either House. I have not lived here. I have not grown up with this conflict as a constant in my life. I just want to understand why it continues. What more can be gained? Is it just that there has been such a massive investment in lives and blood that honour will not allow it to end? If House Blackwood were to decisively win tomorrow, would the victory be sweet? Would the satisfaction you would gain be worth all the pain and misery that was paid to gain it?"
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down