Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Contest]Grand Melee

+11
Benedict Marsten
Ser Jorah Holt
Theomore Tullison
Kevan Lyras
Loreia
Ereth Redwain
Jon Templeton
Ser Walton Dulver
Darron Greyjoy
Aerion Storm
Daveth Coldbrook
15 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

[Contest]Grand Melee - Page 2 Empty Re: [Contest]Grand Melee

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:11 pm

I think we have some small precedence for ignoring the vicious quality of weapons during melees?
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Daveth Coldbrook wrote:
Baelon Drakeson wrote:I can take a group of NCs. 6 would probably be best, but 1 might be ok. 3 in a tight pinch, but I'd prefer not.
Theomore Tullison wrote:Can probably run a group, should not be 6 on account of Tullison PC being in it.
Thank you both, and your conditions are helpfully coordinated.  With you two and Ser Walton, we only need two more volunteers, assuming we can get the conditions to match up.  (I would try and run one myself, but I frankly don't have the time, or the experience to do a good job.)
I can take one if there is a race I do not have a dog in.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:I think we have some small precedence for ignoring the vicious quality of weapons during melees?
There was also a statement that the gloves were coming off after story 1.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:26 pm

I assumed from the wording superior wouldn't count but the weapon spec would including bonuses from qualities.
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Daveth Coldbrook Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:33 pm

Davain Bartheld wrote:Also are these NPCs able to take injuries and wounds, or do I need to go buy a longsword to replace my greatsword?
Given the names being thrown around, mechanically I assume they can at least take Injuries (and as Baelon says, a few of them can almost certainly take wounds as well), but *narratively*, to me, using a greatsword gives a certain statement. Daveth frowned on Ser Walton using a Greatsword in a friendly spar before, due to the increased danger, and it's not like the danger would go down in a bigger fight.

Given the Coldbrook's history of tournament-related deaths [i.e. we're not a fan of them], regardless of the mechanics, getting a less lethal weapon is probably a ... politic choice?

Baelon Drakeson wrote:Actually, should superior weaponry be factored in? That would edge Ben into the clear.
See? This is the kind of thing that demonstrates I don't have a head for combat. Anyway, I'm going for a fairly arbitrary ruling of 'no'. Simply for reason of Fighting covers a broad range of skills, such as your ability to pace yourself properly, of which your ability to actually inflict damage is only one small (though undoubtedly important) part, so the superior quality in either weapon or armour likely doesn't make a big enough difference given the level of abstraction we're dealing with.

Benedict Marsten wrote:I can take one if there is a race I do not have a dog in.
Thank you very much. You're in group 3, Kevan's in group 2. Are there any NPCs listed who you have a conflict of interest in? One more volunteer needed, I think.
Daveth Coldbrook
Daveth Coldbrook

Back to top Go down

Post by Ser Walton Dulver Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:04 pm

well, Walton learned that some guys may feel pretty much offended, when You swing greatsword at them- even if they asked for it...
Ser Walton Dulver
Ser Walton Dulver

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:12 pm

So I'm guessing the longsword the better option.
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:25 pm

I don't feel I will have a problem, but in the interest of being open, Myles is family, and Ben broke Wyll Bracken's jaw in Riverrun joust.
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:34 pm

The bastard sword could be an alternative, it's -1b and -1 damage compared to greatsword when wielded two-handed.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerion Storm Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:35 pm

To clarify on these groups, are these like teams that we're going into the melee alongside, or is the second big round of the melee free-for-all fights within these groupings?
Aerion Storm
Aerion Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:41 pm

More like a free for all last man standing thing. Temporary alliances possible.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:41 pm

Any chance a person with more familiarity with time period could label the NCs with faction. This will have an effect on each melee, I think. 
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:45 pm

I think they are just like "pockets" of fighters within the free for all melee. It's just easier to manage slow groups, then you get 1 winner from the 4 groups and so on.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Politics (browsed the wiki)

Group 1: all Blacks (Longshore PC - unsure).

Group 2: Black except for Bryndon Hightower and Owen Fossoway (Red Apple).

Group 3: Green except for James Darry (Aerion Storm hasn't taken a side).

Group 4:  Green except for Lord Coldbrook and Steffon Darklyn.

Group 5: mostly Black  except for Lord Mallister an Glendon Goode.

Group 6 mostly Black. Abael Redyne is Green. Unsure of Wheaton.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Darron Greyjoy Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:14 pm

Longshore PC - WILDCARD BITCHES
Darron Greyjoy
Darron Greyjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerion Storm Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:18 pm

Got it, so we're fighting WITHIN these groups, not WITH these groups.  Yeah, I know who Aerion's gonna try and square off against, then.
Aerion Storm
Aerion Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Loreia Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Then again Aerion might be considered Green anyway, by association.
Loreia
Loreia

Back to top Go down

Post by Davain Bartheld Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:14 pm

Not that it really matters, but Davain is another green in group 6.
Davain Bartheld
Davain Bartheld

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerion Storm Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Loreia wrote:Then again Aerion might be considered Green anyway, by association.
Yeah, like most, he's (rather fairly, given the setting) judged by being a Baratheon, and rumored to be joining House Bartheld once he's knighted; so he's a green by association, no matter how many times he's personally expressed displeasure at the green/black divide in general.
Aerion Storm
Aerion Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Everyone will indeed assume you're green Aerion. Wink

All of the NPCs are able to take injuries as they're from my main spreadsheet so we can consider them all secondaries least, and many (all?) are primaries too.

Berserker - definitely kicks in AFTER an attack, potential for interesting roll-play if you lash out. It's a "may" attack, so don't feel forced.

Will try to paste NPC stats tonight/tomorrow to save people digging through old threads.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:06 pm

Aerion Storm wrote:Yeah, like most, he's (rather fairly, given the setting) judged by being a Baratheon, and rumored to be joining House Bartheld once he's knighted;  so he's a green by association, no matter how many times he's personally expressed displeasure at the green/black divide in general.

Just a quick note - at this point, House Baratheon is actually presumed to be Black. Lord Boremund was a staunch supporter of Ser Laenor Velaryon at the Great Council of 101. Ser Laenor was Princess Rhaenys' son (she is also Lord Boremund's niece, and they are close). Ser Laenor was Princess Rhaenyra's first husband, and her elder three sons are (officially, at least) his children.

In canon, Lord Boremun dies in 129, so unless there has been some specific departure from canon, he is still Lord Baratheon. After his death, his son Boros inherits, and Boros is much less predictable.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks Baelon. Lord Borros Baratheon has been Lord since at least 124, as he was Lord during the tourney at Riverrun (and spoke to people!). The Princess and the Queen just has Boremund dying some time before the Dance, don't think a year was given (at least not in the sources I had access to when putting all this together, some it even before The World of Ice and Fire!)?
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerion Storm Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Baelon Drakeson wrote:
Aerion Storm wrote:Yeah, like most, he's (rather fairly, given the setting) judged by being a Baratheon, and rumored to be joining House Bartheld once he's knighted;  so he's a green by association, no matter how many times he's personally expressed displeasure at the green/black divide in general.

Just a quick note - at this point, House Baratheon is actually presumed to be Black. Lord Boremund was a staunch supporter of Ser Laenor Velaryon at the Great Council of 101. Ser Laenor was Princess Rhaenys' son (she is also Lord Boremund's niece, and they are close). Ser Laenor was Princess Rhaenyra's first husband, and her elder three sons are (officially, at least) his children.

In canon, Lord Boremun dies in 129, so unless there has been some specific departure from canon, he is still Lord Baratheon. After his death, his son Boros inherits, and Boros is much less predictable.
I'd been told Green before, haven't looked it up so I'll take your word for it. Smile
Aerion Storm
Aerion Storm

Back to top Go down

Post by Baelon Drakeson Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:02 pm

Reader wrote:Thanks Baelon. Lord Borros Baratheon has been Lord since at least 124, as he was Lord during the tourney at Riverrun (and spoke to people!). The Princess and the Queen just has Boremund dying some time before the Dance, don't think a year was given (at least not in the sources I had access to when putting all this together, some it even before The World of Ice and Fire!)?

Arg. ok. The wiki cites TPatQ, but I just realized that there is an ambiguity in in the language used, and that the intended meaning is that he died prior to 129, with no specific date given.... however, for spoiler-heavy plot reasons House Baratheon had to have been seen as relatively friendly to the Blacks, though not necessarily committed.

The Princess and the Queen spoiler - big stuff. You've been warned. No really, this is major plot stuff. Don't blame me if you ignore this warning:

Now, that doesn't have to be the case in this game, of course, but that means that either major events will not happen, or some other impetus for their occurrence would need to be found.
Baelon Drakeson
Baelon Drakeson

Back to top Go down

Post by Benedict Marsten Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:52 am

Aerion Storm wrote:Got it, so we're fighting WITHIN these groups, not WITH these groups.  Yeah, I know who Aerion's gonna try and square off against, then.

Care to whisper to Ben as he appears to be the only black in that group and there is a certain one-eyed fella who has a dislike for me. Seriously though I may have to have a conversation with Daveth if I live. I thought we were on good terms. scratch
Benedict Marsten
Benedict Marsten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next