Dragon's Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask the narrators

+17
Kevan Lyras
Athelstan
Ser Fendrel Bartheld
Daveth Coldbrook
Gwyneth Drakeson
Lady Corrine Marsten
Garret Snow
Ser Jorah Holt
Yoren longshore
Dunstan Tullison
Loreia
Theomore Tullison
Baelon Drakeson
Jon Cobb
Nathaniel Mason
Benedict Marsten
Reader
21 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Ask the narrators - Page 8 Empty Re: Ask the narrators

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Septon Arlyn:
Objective: Baelon makes an effort of transparency by revealing what else he knows about various places he has investigated

Baelon
Objective: "
Friendship"
: Believe that Baelon is a true knight, acting righteously for the greater good

Dislike Arlyn: Baelon overstepped his authority because he is arrogant and unwilling to accept that others should have been included.
Indifferent Arlyn: Baelon overstepped his authority, but he probably did not have any ill intentions, perhaps he needs some further tutoring on account of his youth?
Amiable Arlyn: Baelon overstepped his authority, but his heart is in the right place, but he is young and will learn in time.

I think you accomplished everything before your comma in your stated objective. After the comma would be more of a convince. If you wish to have another intrigue where you try to convince me to your way of thinking then that is a possibility as well.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:57 pm

No need to roll a new intrigue, as the dicepool stays the same and only kept dice change it could be hammered out swiftly enough...
Though just talking OOC could have a better outcome, you and Baelon does not have any conflicting objectives.

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Athelstan Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:00 pm

It does changes, Baelon has mstly high Charm investment, convince lowers his bonusss and dicepool, it can go very different unless Im mistaken, but famous wont give dice to convince (test dice) hus BoA is on Charm? He does get Atractive reroll (not surd, dont have books with me yet) please correct me if wrong.

Athelstan

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Also he states that he wanted 2 different things. So he won the DR increase and then this time he will come in swinging with the bonus +1 D and reduced damage reduction from me. Although his bonus die pool may change.

I'm saying that if he wants to do another intrigue to convince me that his actions were justified then that is a possibility.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Athelstan Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:38 pm

I would just call it a scene and wrap up that thread already lol

Athelstan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:17 pm

Kevan Lyras wrote:Can we have all these decisions and clarifications copied into the rules thread? Just in case we ever have to revisit during story 4 when this thread has a couple hundred pages and nobody finds it anymore

I'll try to do so when I get back home.

Baelon - I see you point on investing less in the intrigue if this ruling was known beforehand and will review this, particularly as your objective was declared publicly early. Smile
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:22 pm

I suppose someone other than Reader knows this, but anyway, what is the effect of the artisan (weaponsmith) holding when it comes to military units and upgrades?
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Theomore Tullison wrote:I suppose someone other than Reader knows this, but anyway, what is the effect of the artisan (weaponsmith) holding when it comes to military units and upgrades?

I refuse to be left out. :;
):

Or just want I up my post count!

Hope this helps (via house rules thread, but appreciate that is long!): Smile

Reader wrote:Weaponsmith/Bowyer/Armourer etc
- Costs 10 wealth
- +1 to House Fortunes rolls
- Grants a free damage upgrade (Melee damage/Marksmanship damage, as appropriate) or free armour upgrade, as appropriate for Artisan type
- 50% discount to superior forged weapon/armour, as appropriate.

Many of you have one of these at your house - I'll update the house resource pages soon to adjust for the changes.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:13 pm

2 Quite related questions:
1: How many troops can the paramounts field themselves? How much power? are we talking 100 power, 1000 power, I'd just like a general idea of how big we are.
2: When considering what units the paramounts use, do you look at what they use in the books, or do you use what would be sensible in the game system?

I just want to know if the armies we'll see on day 4 is based purely around engineers and archers :;
):

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Generally, the main power of the paramount houses stems from their many vassals. Though they probably have considerably better armies fed and paid for by the taxes levied on their vassals. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that we're looking at somewhere between 100 and 1000 power before banner houses. Tully's probably towards the lower end, Tyrells towards the higher.

Freys brought what, 1000 cavalry to Robb's army? Florents were said to field 2000 swords, which probably means 20 infantry units at minimum. Lots of it could be sellswords and hedge knights temporarily joining the party though. Still, you'd need to take the resources from somewhere.

The majority of the numbers we see in the books are likely just green peasant levies though.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Athelstan Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:34 pm

During this time period, lord Forrest Frey joins the fight with 200 knights and 600 infantry.

10 cavalry units, 6 infantry units

Then again House Frey has 4 banner Houses, so probably half that comes from his banner men, and whatever he left to defend the Crossing.

Edit Starks send 2000 cavalry, o its a lot of units.

Athelstan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Yoren longshore wrote:2 Quite related questions:
1: How many troops can the paramounts field themselves? How much power? are we talking 100 power, 1000 power, I'd just like a general idea of how big we are.
2: When considering what units the paramounts use, do you look at what they use in the books, or do you use what would be sensible in the game system?

I just want to know if the armies we'll see on day 4 is based purely around engineers and archers :;
):

I'll put together some numbers in the offseason. Feel free to remind me then.

Given finance/economics work and education, that kind of number crunching is right up my street but I want to do it properly. Initial thoughts are inline with Theomore, but I'll sense check this by calculating from the ground up (all the way from the unit level!). Even when investing, I'm a company specific guys rather than a macro investor. :;
):
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Theomore Tullison Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:49 pm

I know Coldwind altered cavalry units to 50 men and horses in his house rules to deal with the disparity between book numbers and what power can get you. He also did a lot of other stuff. But it's exceedingly difficult to fit everyone from House Baelish to House Baratheon (of King's Landing) on a 0 to 70 scale, especially when that scale is linear.
Theomore Tullison
Theomore Tullison

Back to top Go down

Post by Samurel Manderly Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:52 pm

Proper scaling in that sense might be the more difficult problem when dealing with a numerical system. Funny enough reader, I too am in Economics xD, though I deal more with economic modeling rather then finance.

Samurel Manderly

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Well what is population and power worked in a similar way to wealth. Where from 0-60 each wealth is worth about 100 gold dragons, then anything after that is the equivalent of 1000. That way you get rid of the linear sort of scale and the really big houses can operate under the same scale
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Athelstan Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:55 pm

200 gold dragons equal 1wealth

I think the scale is to reflect minor noble houses, but some descriptions of the resources make it awkward, like the Land resource.

Athelstan

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Can we invest our xp earned from the peace makers event?
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Mason Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:38 am

Septon Arlyn wrote:Can we invest our xp earned from the peace makers event?

I have already done so for D4 with Reader's approval.
Nathaniel Mason
Nathaniel Mason

Back to top Go down

Post by Septon Arlyn Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Septon Arlyn wrote:Well what is population and power worked in a similar way to wealth. Where from 0-60 each wealth is worth about 100 gold dragons, then anything after that is the equivalent of 1000. That way you get rid of the linear sort of scale and the really big houses can operate under the same scale

Athelstan wrote:200 gold dragons equal 1wealth

I think the scale is to reflect minor noble houses, but some descriptions of the resources make it awkward, like the Land resource.

So I spent some time reading (I thought I remembered this from my first read through) but under the coin section on pg 197 of the game of thrones RPG guide it states this

Coin
Coin awards come from scenes where there is a financial stake in the
scene’s outcome. Participating in a tournament for a prize could grant a
Coin reward, and successfully negotiating a trade agreement with a Free
City merchant might also produce a Coin reward. Characters can invest
Coin into their house. For every 200 gold dragons invested, the house’s
Wealth resource increases by 1 up to a maximum of 40. Thereafter, every
1,000 gold dragons invested increases the Wealth resource by 1.

So if we consider that for every point of population up to 40 you get 200 people on your lands that would leave 8000 people under your rule at population 40, then if you start scaling it on the same level as wealth, that means that means that at population 60 you would have 28000

if then we extrapolated that out so that every point after 60 you would add 10000 people then at 70 you would have 128000 people under your rule.

I feel like that would be a much closer to what the actual population of westerous would be, at least in game terms. As the population of kings landing is 500,000, if a single home house has nearly 1/4 of the population of kings landing under its control that is quite a populous holding.
Septon Arlyn
Septon Arlyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ereth Redwain Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:19 pm

Septon Arlyn wrote:So if we consider that for every point of population up to 40 you get 200 people on your lands that would leave 8000 people under your rule at population 40, then if you start scaling it on the same level as wealth, that means that means that at population 60 you would have 28000

if then we extrapolated that out so that every point after 60 you would add 10000 people then at 70 you would have 128000 people under your rule.

I feel like that would be a much closer to what the actual population of westerous would be, at least in game terms. As the population of kings landing is 500,000, if a single home house has nearly 1/4 of the population of kings landing under its control that is quite a populous holding.

Population would have to reflect settlement sizes (and thus payment for that holding), but it's instead measured with land instead of a combination of both or just Population.

Like Houses in the North are the least populated, but they get a huge boost to Land and can buy big settlements like they have huge populations which is funny, since I think the Riverlands has the biggest population bonus and no Land bonus which makes it hard to buy settlements to reflect the bigger populations.

This is what I meant that some descriptions of resources make it awkward. Specially the Land and Population resource. Also the Wealth Holdings that should cost Law, like the Bailiff.
Ereth Redwain
Ereth Redwain

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:54 pm

Are we summoned to the arrest/healing, or can we simply skip it?

Also does Longshore have 4 or 5 votes as base? I thought we had 5 but I might be wrong...

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Yoren longshore wrote:Are we summoned to the arrest/healing, or can we simply skip it?

Also does Longshore have 4 or 5 votes as base? I thought we had 5 but I might be wrong...

You can skip the arrest/healing, neither is mandatory. You're free to brood in your hall while great events pass you by.

You've got 4 votes for Market Town I think? 2 for Longshore, 1 for Redwain, 1 for Longshore of Saltwood. Bannerhouses need 40 influence to be worth 2 votes so they're 1 vote each. Longshore has <
30 influence = 2 votes.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Yeah, I wouldlove to join, but Yoren can't really afford to insult too many big known guys just yet...

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Reader Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Yoren longshore wrote:Yeah, I wouldlove to join, but Yoren can't really afford to insult too many big known guys just yet...

Prudence and obscurity may prove wise for your house here, albeit at a cost to the Green faction.

Divided loyalties and all that, albeit the Longshores are fairly new to the Green cause.
Reader
Reader
Site Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoren longshore Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Well, considering Yoren's stats, I doubt that he would be doing much good for the cause, even if present...

Yoren longshore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8